Posted On:
    12/31/2003 11:52am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pride Shockwave results:

PRIDE / SHOCKWAVE 2003

Place: Saitama Super Arena (Saitama, JAPAN)

1. Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson defeats Ikuhisa Minowa at 1:00 minute into the second round by TKO/Referee Stoppage as he was in the mount punching hammering down.

2. Heath Herring wins decision over Giant Silva

3. Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai wins decision over Daiju Takase 3-0

4. Murillo Ninja defeats Akira Shoji at 2:41 of Round 2 by knee

5. Hidehiko Yoshida and Royce Gracie fight to draw

6. Gary Goodridge KO's Don Frye at :27 seconds into first round by high kick

7. Daniel Gracie wins by armbar at in the first round over Wataru Sakata

8. Yuki Kondo defeats Mario Sperry by TKO in the first round by TKO due to doctor cuts.

9. Kiyoshi Tamura beats Ronnie Sefo at 2:20 of Round 1 by armbar.

10. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira wins by a 3-0 decision over Kazushi Sakuraba

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    12/31/2003 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn that sounds like a good one. That is too bad Frye got taken out like that. And of course that Royce draw is incredibly unsatisafying.

Posted On:
    12/31/2003 1:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait huH?
    i need to follow MMA more.......because i really don't at all right now

when is this shown in NA?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    1/01/2004 2:38pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could've sworn I saw on the Japanese PRIDE page full of post fight interviews that Sak won.... but seeing as I can't find it again and everyone else says it was nog (I wish I coulda seen it)..... maybe I was just being all hopeful and ****.

Blegh, fine..... Sak should probably step down, he's been getting nothing but stomped lately..... now I'm all sad damnit.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/01/2004 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    " Sak should probably step down, he's been getting nothing but stomped lately"

A lot of people say this, and Sak has obviously lost some of the ability he had say 5 years ago, but I wouldn't say he's "been getting nothing but stomped latley".

Sure he was dominated by the best middleweight fighter out there today, Silva, but he was in complete control of Schembri before being caught with a lucky knee. This recent decision was unaminous, but without see the fight or at least reading a detailed account you can't really say if Sakuraba was able to make it competitive or not.

Besides Sakuraba earned his fame by going through the Graices. At this point the Japanese don't care if he wins or not, in fact it's probably a better draw if he is the underdog. Just like Rickson vs. Takada.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    1/01/2004 2:57pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True enough, still want to see it, but man I just feel bad when Sak loses.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like Sakuraba fought well in this fight just not well enough to win.

From Maxfighting.com:

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    Wow. What a great fight. Anyone who needed proof that "little" Nog has a bright future got it in New Year's Eve. Anyone who thinks Saku is finished needs to see this fight. From beginning to end, Nogueira/Sakuraba was a grueling drama of sharp punches and even sharper grappling technique.

True to his word, Nogueira tried to win standing. As soon as the bell rang, Nog shot across the ring launching a series of knees at the japanese legend. Saku ate a few and blocked a few, but he escaped an early KO. Less than a minute later, Saku caught Nogueira with a straight right before shooting for a single. It opened a big cut over the brazilian's eye and almost prompted a doctor stoppage.

The fight continued and saw both men landing hard punches and kicks, with the brazilian's being more accurate. But Saku was winning in the takedown, putting Nog on his back twice. In the brazilian's guard he was hacking away at Nog's cut with slaps and chops. Nogueira's eye started bleeding again.

The rest of the round saw Saku landing leg kicks and Nog tagging him with straights. Twice it looked like the japanese fighter was down and twice it ended in a defensive shoot for a single leg takedown. As the round closed, Nog was backing up Sakuraba with punches. Then Saku caught a kick and countered with a left straight that put him on his back.

After ten minutes of fighting, Sakuraba was sucking wind and looked a little dazed. But he was countering nicely and taking Nogueira down a lot. Nogueira was hurt and bleeding from right above the eye, but he was tagging Saku with some really accurate punches. It looked like a fight that could end at any moment.

Round 2 opened with more knees by Nogueira, but this time none get through. As he forces Sakuraba into and tries to take his head off with punches, Saku shoots. Nog defends and tries to transition into a crucifix submission. Saku turns hard to the left and dumps the brazilian on his head. As Saku tries to catch an arm, Nog pulls guard. After being stood up again, Nogueira's eye started bleeding againg and he was fighting cautious. But Saku was swinging at it any chance he got with straights and wild looping punches.

In the last minute, Nog went on the offensive, hitting Sakuraba with another nice straight. Before Saku could shoot for the single-leg again, Nogueira went for a guillotine choke and then fell back into the guard to cinch it tiight. But Sakuraba blocked the choke and escaped, only to have Nogueira immediately transition to a triangle choke/armlock combo. In the most harrowing moment of the fight, Nog almost had Saku's arm and head locked in, with Nog straining to past the fulcrum of his hips and Saku wrenching the elbow back between his legs. It looked like it was all over, but Saku escaped to the side and started looking for his own sub as the bell rang.

Round three opened with Nog hitting Saku with a stiff jab that was right on the button and Saku went straight for the single leg again. But the brazilian defended and drove Saku into the ropes, hitting him with knees and punches. But japanese legend gave as good as he got and drove Nogueira back with his own combinations. The round continued that way, with each fight jarring the other with hard punches. With two minutes to go, Sakuraba was coming forward with his hands low and eating punches. But Nogueira couldn't put him down. Then, with ten seconds left, Nogueira was backing Saku up when the japanese fighter slipped, covered while Nogueira threw a few shin kicks at him as the bell rang.

In the end, Nogueira was awarded a well-deserved decision. But Sakuraba definitely won back the respect he lost after his loss to Schembri. He proved his chin's still strong and his game's still top-shelf.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2004 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who says BJJ guys don't know how to use groin strikes...
    (from the Royce-Yoshida match)

http://www.attikai.com/royce-kick.mpeg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2004 4:52am

Style: BKK karate, boxing, Amok

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps Royce is studying Wing Chun... :D

PS; after looking at the clip again I'm convinced he is. The kick had no effect whatsoever. LOL!;)
    Last edited by Boogers; 1/03/2004 4:55am at .

Posted On:
    1/03/2004 8:58pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the article Pun.
    I WANT TO SEE IT EVEN MORE!!!!

WTF BJJ PEOPLE TRYING TO STRIKE?!?!?!
    That is so GHEY!!!!

Boogers - I'm not sure what you are trying to say....
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast