Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Annyong, konichiwa, ni hao, hola, bon jour, and 'ello...

Hey all,

A newb from Pennsylvania here. 20 years in the martial arts, 3 years teaching. Trained mostly in Tang Soo Do and Jujitsu, but I know a good deal about Shotokan, Isshinryu, Kobujutsu, Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan, Chi Kung, Arnis, and various other martial arts.

I'm also a biochemist. I'm a bit of a skeptic about a lot of the bullshido I see in the martial arts world. Not completely against everything, but I do think that the modern public understanding of the martial arts is pretty screwed up.

Anywho, hello to you all.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So astrobiologist, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. A biochemist you say, is that anything like a meth producer? (on a serious note) I hope you review your dojo, and read some stickies, etc etc.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're an instructor? Does your school have a website you can link us to?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We love us some sciencytists around here mmm-hmm. Empiry-cism is like a fine glass o' Kentucky burbon.

My shitty e-impression of a developmentally disabled redneck aside, hopefully you're the type of skeptic who applies it to all areas of your life. I've run into a ton who employ "selective skepticism" and carefully leave out subjects for which their desire to believe is stronger than their commitment to reason (usually politics).

Based on your MA background (some of the "usual suspects" around here), do you apply your skepticism to your training?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course I apply objectivity to the martial arts... That's why I stumbled across Bullshido. I was looking for information about George Dillman and Frank Dux and this site had a lot of info.

I had posted on a thread on MartialTalk that a student should do eleven thousand big toe crunches a day so that they can become impervious to the dreaded George Dillman no-touch knockout (if you haven't seen the video where he claims that the scientist wasn't knocked out because he may have had his big toes twisted in different directions, then it's worth a watch and a laugh).

My school is Red Lion Karate. Our website is Redlionkarate.com. The website's not all that great yet though, since I was the one who made it and I'm an amateur website developer.
    I haven't really gotten to adding any info about our instructors or what we teach just yet. I've been busy applying for grad school.

My father, his wife, and I began our training at a McDojang. We learned the Tang Soo Do that our old instructor, Chung Su Kim, knew, but we realized a few years ago that there was more to the martial arts than what he was teaching. Since we've split from his school, Kim's Karate, we've learned so much and have come so far. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a thread somewhere at Bullshido about Kim's Karate already.

Anywho, pleasure saying whaddup to y'all
    (y'all... how 'bout that for redneckish:zalien: )

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Annyong. That's some good yuks with the big toe stuff.

What's your Isshinryu experience come from?

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    We love us some sciencytists around here mmm-hmm.
    "sciencytists"? Really?

Welcome to Bullshido astrobiologist. How do you feel about xenophobes?

Edit: You don't have to answer that. As a real redneck, I try to impress ya'll with my fancy words sometimes.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha, nice...

I've only just begun learning Isshinryu through my weapons instructor, Master Peter Carbone. I've only gotten into the basics and Seisan yet, but I'm stoked to learn more. Most of my experience is in Tang Soo Do, which is basically Korean Shotokan. I've been adapting and changing my martial art in the past few years to make myself as streamlined and offensively/defensively capable as possible. I'm also just getting into Wing Chun; I find it to be a seriously effective approach to close-range fighting.

Peace,
    Master of the Super Duper Big Toe Defense
    Last edited by astrobiologist; 1/24/2009 1:02pm at .

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobiologist
    I'm also just getting into Wing Chun; I find it to be a seriously effective approach to close-range fighting.
    Have you tried many martial arts that emphasise clinch range fighting against a fully resisting opponent? There's very little evidence to support your assertion, so I'm wondering what frame of reference you're using to assess Wing Chung's effectiveness.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last