Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bolo Knives and Reality Checks....

For some odd reason, my Judo and Jujitsu school in the Detroit area, was taking the heat for the Gracie Challenge. This was odd because there was a Gracie school downriver, and they were NOT fans of my program. I'll tell about my "I'm going to sue you" call from Rorion Gracie another time.

I am not kidding when I say I would get calls from people who wanted to fight for the money, wanted to kick my ass and everyone at my schools ass, and here is the strange part, have real death matches with weapons! This one really struck me as odd, but we were getting so many there had to be a reason. After a bit of checking I discovered a new school in town, teaching Silat.

As you guys know, I am all for learning realistic self-defense. However, Michigan is a "shall issue" state. Why would you spend the majority of your time with bolo knives, when you should be spending it at a place like "Front sight?" The local talk show host was training there now, and again, this is a guy who got death threats daily. However, he was very kind to us, and I tend to ignore this stuff...

...till one morning I came in and found their bumper stickers all over the front of my dojo.

I pause here to say this. We never had bumper stickers (we REALLY wanted to use "Our honor students don't get beat up" but thought better of it.) However, if my bumper stickers ended up all over someone elses property, I personally would be there making it right. No matter what I thought of the school or the people.

Silly me, I thing the owner of the school might want to know what is going on, so I give him a call. Being me, and thinking humor might be needed, when he answered I said I wanted to voice a complaint on his new advertising campain. Bad move. He got defensive right away. I calmly stated that his bumper stickers were all over the front of my dojo. His reply?

"You're a jujitsu school aren't you?"

No idea what that has to do with anything but "Yes, among other things." His reply?

"Well I have some of your old students here now, and I guess they wanted to send you a message?"

Very bad move on his part....

"Other than how to be a punk, and you teaching them to be pussies, what might that be?"

He was not happy, I pushed on...

"If I wanted to send YOU a message, I would do it when you were there, NOT after you were closed. I do invite them or you to come by anytime and deliver any message you wish, when I am here." Then I hung up on him.

For the next few weeks I heard many stories. He was wearing a "Silat 12 Gracie's 0" T-shirt as he claimed to have defeated every GJJ/BJJ guy who came to his school. He actually was on a local radio station and claimed some head jerk of Silat went to the Gracie Academy, accepted the challenge, then took out his bolo knives. The host actually laughed like that was an ok thing. I took him to task for that saying "some jackoff is going to get shot over this BS and you are not helping matters."

A few people did come down, most wanted to fight unarmed, and were quickly dealt with. Some asked about the weapon thing, I would reply that if they insisted we could do that, but I had no intention of fighting unarmed against their bolo knives. That usually ended the conversation.

I hope you are getting the message this stuff is coming to a boil.

OK, it Halloween. Ted Nugent has a radio show. They are doing a remote with cider and doughnuts out of my parking lot and I am going to do the Houdini thing. I was on his radio show talking about the event. This what their idea mind you. This was in morning drive time, and people just came by, got free food, saw me do some silly stuff, it was fun for all.

I just finished an escape set, and was changing to do the Water Torture Cell, when the phone rings, this is the EXACT conversation. I am thinking this is someone who needs directions.

"Are you the guy on the radio?"

"Yes"

"Are you a jujitsu school?"

"Yes?"

"Well I do silat and I want to know what magic tricks have to do with martial arts?"

Wait for it....

"Well, right now it means I am on the radio and you're not, so blow me."

And I hung up, did the cell, all were happy. John Saylor was there, and as we were cleaning up I said "John, I have a bad feeling about that phone call." John, who is wise said, "listen to your gut."

Halloween night was always huge at my dojo. We had stuff inside and outside, kids everywhere. We gave out free lesson books to anyone, along with lots of goodies. We did demos and games all night long, we had cops there to check out Halloween candy, you get the picture. Some of us were in Costume, in the parking lot, walking around was "The Undertaker". Ok not the real guy, but a friend of mine in the outfit.

Now, I did not see the next part, I was inside. However just think how bad this could have been... we not take the narritive from Doug, the "Undertater", oh, and ex-cop and full time Private Eye....

"Car pulls in, doors open, but no inside light goes on. This is always a red flag, so I move to position and watch. As the four guys got out I saw them messing with stuff under their coats. As they walked across the parking lot I told them to stop, and said get back in the car and drive away. They said they wanted to go inside. I said "show me what's under your jacket." I could not believe these kids all had Gurka knives, and pulled them on me. Right there in the parking lot!"

Did I tell you guys why Doug chose to be the Undertaker? That long coat hid the mossburg in the shoulder rig very well....

"I brought up Mr. Mossburg, told them to drop them and put their hands on their head. The Hazel Park cops were right around the corner, and the boys had a very bad night."

As John Saylor about this, he tells the story to this day as to how that shotgun came up out of nowhere. I pause and point out just how stupid these kids were, and the kind of sick jack off their teacher was, and likely is.

I called the radio guy and let him have it. Told him that putting that ass clown on the air to brag about bolo knives and death matches was going to cause crap like this and that the only thing that wasn't his fault was the kids not being killed. I say kids, they were like 17 to 20.

I pushed for them NOT to be arrested, told the cops they must have misunderstood the event. They put the fear of god into them, but we kept the knives...

...I returned the knives to their school the next day. In the middle of a class, with Mr. T shirt right there. Walked in, dropped them on the floor. Head guy came over with a loud voice, I lowered mine...

"If I get any more **** from you or your students, I will kill you. If you get lucky and kill me, the guy with the shotgun will kill you. In either case, you will be dead."

I turned and left, he acted like he was throwing me out of his school for being afraid to fight him... I let him have that.

A few days later I heard from some other Silat group who said they were sorry about this butt wipe, and they would make sure it never happened again. No idea, and I don't want to know, these guys were nut jobs one and all...

...but a few weeks later the school was closed and I never heard from them again.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups. Psychotic maniac with a MA school 0, contributing member of the community 1. Huzzah!

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:28am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those kids must have **** themselves when the Undertaker pulled a shotgun on them, even if it was the Undertaker with the purple gloves.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:29am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fantastic!

i also love how you start a story with a lead into another one. Who now wants to hear about
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    I'll tell about my "I'm going to sue you" call from Rorion Gracie another time.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you get lucky and kill me, the guy with the shotgun will kill you.
    Oh man. That is just....OH MAN!

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:43am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this thread was going to involve Bolo from Enter the Dragon, holding Bolo knives. Nevertheless, an excellent tale you did tell.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:49am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait... The gracies???

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 10:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like Silat is serious business...
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    Wait... The gracies???
    From Brazil.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, they had a guy in the early UFC, Remco beat him very easily. When their unarmed stuff didn't work so well, they kept pushing the armed stuff.

However, as you have read, they seemed to think it a good idea to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 10:18am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Sounds like Silat is serious business...
    From Brazil.
    No, I mean why do they want to sue?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast