Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John Lewis has a BB in a belt-ranked version of MT. Anybody remember the name of the system?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 12:30am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McMuayThai?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 1:10am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McMuayThai is well underway. My observation is that we're really seeing the beginning of the end of muay thai being reliable fight worthy training. The fact that muay thai has risen in demand along with MMA is basically resulting in gyms pushing a sub-par striking training because there really aren't enough qualified instructors out there. Many "muay thai" instructors are just the gyms resident kickboxer with a few years experience and maybe a few fights. They may be good fighters but they lack the technical knowledge to explain how they're doing what they're doing and they lack the desire to genuinely see people improve. But the demand is still there, so qualified instructor or not, an gym is going to offer a "muay thai" class. I've seen several classes run by people with 1/4th my fight experience and time in training. Sometimes even less then that.

Muay thai is well on the path to becoming more like karate then it is like boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 7:41am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MT/Kickboxing systems using coloured singlets are really common here. They're not really my thing, but there are plenty of good gyms with good fight teams that have them. Far as I know, they tend to be heavily fitness based, with lots of pad rounds, sparring and push-ups/sit-ups/etc.

Here's a video I found of a MT grading (I think it's a BJC club, which tend to run the gamut from good fight gyms to bad twice-a-week-at-a-scout-hall affairs):

YouTube - Muay Thai Grading - Red/White and Red Singlets

This kind of sums up the pros and cons of it for me. If it's based on sparring and pads, that's good. I imagine it gives non-fighters something to work towards and incentive to increase their fitness. But the pad round and sparring are full of tricky, low percentage shots, which I'm guessing is what they consider an "advanced" techniques necessary to have different degrees of difficulty as you go through the ranks, but really aren't bread and butter techniques of a good fighter.

But really, I don't think there's any harm, unless these guys think they'd actually pull off most of those superman punches, jumping kicks, spinning elbows (not to mention the sloppy grappling) in a real or ring fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 1:44pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gym i train at uses belt ranks, but no-one seems to give a flying **** about them.
    I actually went to grade from yellow to red (or orange or whatever the ****) for shits and giggles. Only to be told by the out-of-town instructor bigwig that we can't be graded because our shirts and shorts do not show our gym affiliation.

Reaction:

So yeah, i'll probably be a yellow belt forever but whoever the **** cares if i can train and compete as much as i want. I don't even have the actual, physical belt.
    Last edited by illegalusername; 1/22/2009 1:48pm at .

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername
    The gym i train at uses belt ranks, but no-one seems to give a flying **** about them.
    I actually went to grade from yellow to red (or orange or whatever the ****) for shits and giggles. Only to be told by the out-of-town instructor bigwig that we can't be graded because our shirts and shorts do not show our gym affiliation.

Reaction:

So yeah, i'll probably be a yellow belt forever but whoever the **** cares if i can train and compete as much as i want. I don't even have the actual, physical belt.
    this is why i don't see MT going the same route as TKD and krotty. The competitive nature of it will run out the crappy gyms, and the good gyms (to my knowledge) already have some of the people in them that are just looking for fun fitness.
    now, if a group like ATA comes around, franchising the **** out of MT gyms and has closed tournaments, then i will start to worry.

otherwise, i see MT as going through a fad stage that it can/will survive.
    Last edited by omoplatypus; 1/22/2009 2:47pm at . Reason: clarification
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 4:41pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately the competitive nature of muay thai does not run out the crappy gyms. They continue to teach subpar martial arts but just never actually compete. If you look at fight rosters it's very often the same few gyms putting out actual fighters that are traveling all over the place for kickboxing competition. The non-competitive gyms continue to thrive financially with or without competition and students that don't know what to look for get sucked in out of ignorance and expectations based on the name "muay thai".

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Unfortunately the competitive nature of muay thai does not run out the crappy gyms. They continue to teach subpar martial arts but just never actually compete. If you look at fight rosters it's very often the same few gyms putting out actual fighters that are traveling all over the place for kickboxing competition. The non-competitive gyms continue to thrive financially with or without competition and students that don't know what to look for get sucked in out of ignorance and expectations based on the name "muay thai".
    then i stand corrected.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123