Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 8:39pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awhile ago I was about 230. I dropped down to 180 doing very little cardio whatsoever. I would not put over emphasis on cardio. I go to judo for probably 3 hours a week, and its intense, but my major weight loss i believe came from strick diet of protien and vegetables and lifting weights. I think weights and a 1500 calories a day diet will drop you much more weight then just trying cardio and dieting. 5-6 small meals a day spaced out 2-3 hours apart, with weight training, your body just demands calories. In my personal experience with it I lost about 50 lb's in 6 months, and majorly increased my ability to lift. In order to help not deteriorate muscle with that kind of calorie defecit, i'd highly reccomend wheybolic protein supplements.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 10:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you assume 6 hours per week training, here is my question. If ones goal is to burn fat, gain strength and build stamina/cardio which style is best? BJJ or traditional jujitsu? Again, not who can beat up who, but strickly from a weight loss/fat burning standpoint, which is best and why?

-Jake

P.S. You can check out my blog to see my progress and weight charts and stuff like that. Also, thanks in advance for any responses to my post.

http://scjakester.blogspot.com
    Man you are an Inspiration.

My little brother weighs 110 lbs more than I do. I weigh 180lbs, and have always been athletic. I want to get him into Judo, so as to give him a fun way to burn calories. He is very ashamed of his weight and doesn't even want to go to the gym. All he does is sit there and play games.

I'm going to show him your blog, I think it might inspire him. He's definately more talented than I am. He picked up cardio pretty quickly... but quit the gym when he saw no results. I've taught him some basic joint locks, yet even so when we are horsing around, it surprises me how much of an intuitive grasp of grappling he has. Hell, he even picked up boxing combos pretty quick! MAN if he'd only lose that weight... I'd have one awesome sparring partner :)

Thanks man, keep up the good work!

-------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    Awhile ago I was about 230. I dropped down to 180 doing very little cardio whatsoever. I would not put over emphasis on cardio. I go to judo for probably 3 hours a week, and its intense, but my major weight loss i believe came from strick diet of protien and vegetables and lifting weights. I think weights and a 1500 calories a day diet will drop you much more weight then just trying cardio and dieting. 5-6 small meals a day spaced out 2-3 hours apart, with weight training, your body just demands calories. In my personal experience with it I lost about 50 lb's in 6 months, and majorly increased my ability to lift. In order to help not deteriorate muscle with that kind of calorie defecit, i'd highly reccomend wheybolic protein supplements.

You mind posting some of your workouts? I think this might be more appealing to my lil bro than anything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 2:17pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ, that's a no brainer.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 2:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Honestly in a coached training environment BJJ is not much like swimming. I was on various swim teams until I went to college and some of our more intense sessions on my HS team were much worse than any BJJ practice I've been to. In BJJ rolling you can take the bottom or find a guy that is a bad style match up for you and ride it out for a good chunk of every minute if you want to. In swimming you are on the clock all the time and just floating in your lane doesn't cut it.
    Yeah, but that's because of the monitoring effect of being on a team and having a coach and competition after your place. You could go to a pool and pay to swim laps at your own pace if you wanted too - you can slack off at any time when no one's after your position.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Yeah, but that's because of the monitoring effect of being on a team and having a coach and competition after your place. You could go to a pool and pay to swim laps at your own pace if you wanted too - you can slack off at any time when no one's after your position.
    And conversely, a BJJ/MMA coach could really crack the whip if the situation demands it. At my old jits school, my teacher would do this for guys with fights coming up:
    1) Line up with a fresh opponent who's been instructed to wear you out.
    2) Roll with them until they get tired.
    3) With no break, go back to step 1 and keep going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    And conversely, a BJJ/MMA coach could really crack the whip if the situation demands it. At my old jits school, my teacher would do this for guys with fights coming up:
    1) Line up with a fresh opponent who's been instructed to wear you out.
    2) Roll with them until they get tired.
    3) With no break, go back to step 1 and keep going.
    We call it the shark tank. It is both cruel and effective
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123