Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 2:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went from Bujinkan to BJJ. I was in a really crappy shape when I started bujinkan. While doing it I lost about 30 pounds, although mainly from my strict diet. But Bujinkan did help me get started. I would have been killed if I had gone straight to BJJ.

So if you feel your school might not be challenging you enough anymore I heartily recommend at least trying out BJJ. It's a grueling, punishing and insanely stupid hobby (although I just might be injure prone) but I love it for fitness and for what it's teaching me.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Oh, and it's 'Gracie Barra' by the way." .....Hey guys, sorry about that. Certainly no disrespect intended. I called the local Gracie Barra School and the instructor told me I could come in for a free week. I want to go give a try before the end of the month and see how different it is.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/20/2009 5:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scscribbler
    "Oh, and it's 'Gracie Barra' by the way." .....Hey guys, sorry about that. Certainly no disrespect intended.
    No worries, I'm actually with Leo Vieira's team Checkmat. We're pretty much all about disrespecting Gracie Barra.
    Quote Originally Posted by scscribbler
    I called the local Gracie Barra School and the instructor told me I could come in for a free week. I want to go give a try before the end of the month and see how different it is.
    Cool, let us know how you find it.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/20/2009 11:32am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is the best workout I have ever had. I would say even above Judo and I spent roughly the same length of time Randori'ing in both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2009 9:22pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj you get to work out until you throw up... i don't know how many people swim to that point.

if you're on the treadmill, it's hard to get motivated to put that last extra little bit of effort in. when someone's trying to choke you -- not so hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 12:17am

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually started in traditional jujitsu then moved to brazilian jiu jitsu. it all depends on the school, really.

at my tjj place, we had 2 hour classes. the first hour and a half was cardio / warmups then learning a couple of throws or a locks or whatever and practicing them. the remaining half hour was for sparring / open mat.

at my bjj place, there are either 1 hour classes or 1.5 hour classes depending on the day. again, the first part is warming up and learning a technique while the latter portion is sparring.

that said, rolling is probably one of the most intense workouts ive had. it tops ice hockey, long distance running, sprinting, skating, and biking in my opinion. it just uses every muscle in your body at once. plus... youve got someone trying to break your arm / choke you out / rape you so you get a nice little adrenaline rush going.

but yeah, anything with a decently long groundwork part is good in my books. just keep at it and dont give up

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to BJJ 5x a week and roll every session. I still have a beer gut, but that's because I still drink copious amounts of alcohol. Either way, I never thought of it like swimming before, but it totally is in a way... Instead of treading through water, you tread through your your opponents arms and legs. Instead of clinging to the side of the pool when you you get tired, you cling to your opponent in side-control. Plus, it's almost a sure thing that you wont get water in your nose or chlorine in your eyes...almost.

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 12:51am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cefter51
    Plus, it's almost a sure thing that you wont get water in your nose or chlorine in your eyes...almost.

Change water with the word "sweat" and chlorine with the word "blood" and you get the bjj equivalent. Anyways, good luck to the OP on the whole weight loss thing.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 2:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly in a coached training environment BJJ is not much like swimming. I was on various swim teams until I went to college and some of our more intense sessions on my HS team were much worse than any BJJ practice I've been to. In BJJ rolling you can take the bottom or find a guy that is a bad style match up for you and ride it out for a good chunk of every minute if you want to. In swimming you are on the clock all the time and just floating in your lane doesn't cut it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plain old wrestling is the worst cardio hell I've ever experienced - more than Judo or BJJ. Mountainclimbers, burpees, pushups, situps and sprinting until you are about to puke, and then: "Let's go spar takedowns for half an hour!" At least in BJJ I can pick on a newb, or lie down and relax in side control if I get tired. Taking shots at people over-and-over kills you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast