Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 4:51am

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Staying hydrated is more about electrolytes than water, and no, gatorade doesn't provide adequate electrolytes, it comes from your diet, and a rare few supplements out there on the market. If you have the proper electrolytes, you wont get the effects of dehydration as early during training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 4:59am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by codo3500
    Staying hydrated is more about electrolytes than water, and no, gatorade doesn't provide adequate electrolytes, it comes from your diet, and a rare few supplements out there on the market. If you have the proper electrolytes, you wont get the effects of dehydration as early during training.
    What could I change about my diet to make sure I get more electrolytes throughout the day? Specifically, what could I add to my diet?

... Might V8 make the difference?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 5:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean
    What could I change about my diet to make sure I get more electrolytes throughout the day? Specifically, what could I add to my diet?

... Might V8 make the difference?
    V8 might help somewhat, as fruits play a keen role in your electrolyte balance. The whole idea is to be balanced, you need meat, dairy, fruit and vegetables, too many people focus on eating one food to get the results they want and often neglect the other food groups, im not saying you do this, but I do know of people its happened to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 5:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by codo3500
    V8 might help somewhat, as fruits play a keen role in your electrolyte balance. The whole idea is to be balanced, you need meat, dairy, fruit and vegetables, too many people focus on eating one food to get the results they want and often neglect the other food groups, im not saying you do this, but I do know of people its happened to.
    Everyone probably does that. Personally I don't eat enough veggies, so I've been making more of a point of it lately.

Anyway, back on topic ... I'll try out V8, and I'll do some more research on electrolytes and keeping in balance and all that jazz ... and see if it helps tomorrow night.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 5:52am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at you fucking whiners. First of all folks hydration comes before the workout. Your body is fully capable of going without water for prolonged periods of time. As for feeling refreshed after drinking water that's a psychological BS job that you're doing to yourself.

Have you ever thought that the simple rest period in which you get the water would help you feel better?

Most people walk around dehydrated and, except in rare cases, should never need to consume any water during workouts less than 1 hour long. In pro fighting I have sweat out huge amount of liquids and only consumed maybe an ounce between rounds. That's simply because my throat gets dry or I get some build up in the throat. Normally it get's spit out.

So essentially the lot of you are just pussies.

Sleep on that you little girls.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 5:54am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeesus, now V8? No, there's an electrolyte drink you can pick up at many health food stores and supplement stores, or consumption of natural fruits and vegetables. V8 is a poor substitute with high levels of sodium.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 6:08am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW folks since none of you are actually mentioning this:

You should drink ~1 liter of water about 1-2 hours before working out above and beyond your normal consumption. You should weigh yourself before you work out and replace all waters lost during work out. Remember 16oz = 1lbs. Cool water brings down body temperature. If you are already working out room temperature water is easier for the body to assimilate.

Although gatorade has a high fructose level other similar sports performance drinks have the proper sodium and carbohydrates to keep the body from fatiguing. This is necessary when exercising at intense levels beyond 45 minutes.

A hydration break is needed after warm only if the exercise is going to be increasing. Besides that no hydration is needed for a simple hour work out and under normal circumstances is not unhealthy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 6:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I'll consider that Omega. Thanks for your constructive input.

[This was supposed to be an immature sarcastic slight but since you added another post I guess there's some validity to it.]
    Last edited by Mr Clean; 1/19/2009 6:20am at .

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 7:31am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega if I drank a litre of water 2 hours before a work out I would urinate most of it out by the time I got there. any tips to reduce this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor
    Omega if I drank a litre of water 2 hours before a work out I would urinate most of it out by the time I got there. any tips to reduce this?
    I had this problem, but i've found that by having less caffeine through the day, and not 'breaking the seal', i can normally handle it, maybe not a full liter tho lol.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast