Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    Does this guy train at a Gym? Does he have sparing partners? How long have you been training in kickboxing?
    I've been training in Thai Boxing for about 6-8 months and I've been training in boxing kinda off and on since I was 17 so around 8 years. I am not the person to train him in this I feel either but unless I can find someone else he's gotta know this stuff fighting in a MMA match.

Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    Your reputation at what? You're afraid you will ruin your reputation as a personal trainer even though you are not a personal trainer?
    Sorta yeah, I just recently decided to get my NSCA certifaction so just kinda wrote that for future reference i guess. Really I think I'm more concerned about his saftey than my rep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:03pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superman36369
    his condition is not to great ... From what I gather he has got into it with someone that fights at one of the bars down here ( cowboys for anyone that is in Atlanta) and he really wants to fight him. All these things combined are one reason I am very hesitent... One thing that gives me a little hope though is the guy that he wants to fight drinks and smokes too. Plus he trains like a bodybuilder from what I've been told and does massive amounts of steroids and has alot of size without power to back it up. But this is just what I've been told by people
    I'd be VERY hesitant to get involved if I were you. Getting the guy fit is one thing, but all these other details sound like the ingredients of a massively dangerous clusterfuck.

My advice is run a mile, but if you don't, just teach him how to smash a beer bottle over the other guy's head.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PARAGRAHS
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 11:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I gather he has got into it with someone that fights at one of the bars down here ( cowboys for anyone that is in Atlanta) and he really wants to fight him.
    I sarted a good friend of mine on a basic routine a couple of months ago just so he could get in shape. It was a basic 4 day split. he got desirable results and now he has a new goal. He wants me to train him for a fight as his strength and conditioning coach.
    glf is right - this is like a train wreck in slow motion. That's not a jab at you - I'm talking about what your friend is getting into. Best case, he's talking about a match with a ref, rules, and medical attention, but he'll still be utterly unprepared. Worst case, he's about to go and start a bar fight with a guy who's known for bar fighting and juicing.

The benefits the dude will get from your help are really beside the point here. If he's your friend, as far as I'm concerned, you need to make a strategic and concerted effort to help him avoid a really bad series of decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fight will be in a ring with a ref , they have two places here that hold sanctioned fights "cowboys" and "wild bills". They are kinda like show bars I guess , I've never been.

Not to sure about the beef they have , and that was my first reaction is to try to talk him out of it but he isn't trying to hear that. Maybe he will calm down I dont know. I hope so really. But I talked to him earlier and told him if he wants me to train him he has to quit smoking and at least cut back on the drinking. Of coarse he agreed ( guess we will see how far that goes.)

But he has his mind set and at this point I'm hoping that the training will do one of two things
    1) Get him in good enough shape to maybe one day fight and clear his head enough to know he isn't ready
    or
    2) Make him puke hs guts out in the first few mins of the workout and decide **** it all together after I explain a fight will be just like that except you'll be getting punched in the face

either way I am confident he want follow through with this. I just don't want to give him a heart attack during training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do some hard sparring the first day. Tell him you want him to see what he is getting into. Break his nose and kick him in the leg many time. If he comes back, then train him.

But seriously, why don't you tell him to go to a real school. I mean you have 6 months of kickboxing. In reality you have a lot to learn as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 11:28am

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to sure about the beef they have ,
    I hadn't gathered that this was a grudge match. Either I missed that post or just didn't read between the lines. Does this mean that your friend wants to get ready for ONE and only one fight or to make this a lifestyle change?

I can see helping your buddy get in better shape for life and accept the risk of his first fight.

And I can see helping a buddy stop from getting his face punched in. The question becomes this: If you don't help him, will he have the fight anyways, just less prepared?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have somewhat of a problem. I sarted a good friend of mine on a basic routine a couple of months ago just so he could get in shape. It was a basic 4 day split. he got desirable results and now he has a new goal. He wants me to train him for a fight as his strength and conditioning coach. I told him very bluntly I am not qualified to do so by any means. But he still insist that I train him. I don't think i can really do any damage to him but i feel like my reputation may be at risk if I train him inproperly. Espeacially if he goes in their and winds in the first round. But like I said I told him I wasn't qualified and didn't really feel comfortable doing so. Since he can't afford a coach he sweetened the deal by offering me a place to stay for the duration of his training free of expenses. Which helps me out imensly. Anyway to make a long story short I told him I would think about it. I still haven't decided but I have been trying to plan a routine that would be effective. Also getting him some technique. I know a guy that can help him with his wrestling for free and I can coach his kick boxing (which I also made clear I am not a trainer I just practice the art ). Now am stuck on his strength and conditioning which is the main thing he ask for. So far I have came up with a month of core exercises to get him used to high intensity compound exercises and then I am stuck. But really what should I do here. And if it is ok to go foward with this can you give me a 10 week routine after the first month of core training? All I know is what I've done in training but my training has been ever changing and I don't feel comfortable putting together a full routine based on that. Just throw some ideas out our let me know if this is stepping out of bounds. Thanks.

I have enough of this ****. Use paragraphs!

From this sticky you can see the rules of posting (look at rule #2):

Teh Weight Training, Grip Training, Powerlifting, Weightlifting And Stuff Thread - No BS Martial Arts

Rules Of Posting:

1. Don't be a retard. "LOL GUN-FU ROID BEEFCAKE WAAATAAAH" will get you fucking nowhere, I promise you. I deal with that **** enough already on youtube - I won't have it here.
    2. Don't be a bovine and make an effort to use paragraphs, specially if you are going to type a lot. This is a courtesy to the readers. That is, if your post looks like this, and if you keep insisting in posting like this, I'll send your post to trollshido, even if you are making a valid point.
    3. Feel free to ask questions in the appropriate thread. If you don't know where to put it, just ask and we'll help you.
    4. Any question is usually a good question. Just make sure you put some thought behind it, though. There is a big difference between "How should I start working out for strenght?" and "how do workout?"
    5. Keep questions and coments on topic. If your question or topic is not on topic, please create a different thread, if one does not exist already that answers your questions.
    6. Comedy posts and one-liners are welcome, so long as they are on-topic and we don't have a noise-to-signal ratio of 100 or something.
    7. If the comedy goes out of hand, I'll move them all out.

The next person who creates a thread with an opening wall of text like that is going to trollshido. Seriously.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    Just do some hard sparring the first day. Tell him you want him to see what he is getting into. Break his nose and kick him in the leg many time. If he comes back, then train him.

But seriously, why don't you tell him to go to a real school. I mean you have 6 months of kickboxing. In reality you have a lot to learn as well.

lol Yeah thats actually a really good idea , and you absolutly right. I told him that I can just really teach him the basics. He can't afford to go to a real school thats why he called me, I'm the only person he knows (and gets along with) that knows anything about this type of stuff.

When he called he said he can't afford to go anywhere and train but he has an extra room and him and his girl keep their kitchen stocked so that will be good for me cause I will be closer to the city and it will save me on commute to my gym and back. Otherwise I may not even be considering it. I have alot of skeptacism about this whole thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Teh I seen it last night when Emevas posted it and I have been trying.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast