Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 9:57pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Staying hydrated while training

My instructor works us all to the point of exhaustion ... it's like attending boot camp 3 times a week. This is great, and it's what any good martial arts instructor should do.

But I'm always surprised how rarely he allows us to get water during our lessons. I happen to sweat a lot (I'm in good but not great shape), and about 30 minutes into our lesson I tend to start feeling light-headed. The odd thing is, if I ask for a water break, he just kind of rolls his eyes like I'm a weakling. I understand that he's probably just trying to toughen us up, but it's just so damn important for your body to stay hydrated while your muscles are going all-out. At least, that's what everything I've read online says. It allows your muscles to function properly, and if I do happen to sneak in a few gulps I feel 10 times better with way more energy and strength when I get back to the drills or sparring or whatever we happen to be doing.

Does anyone here understand his logic? Is there some purpose to not drinking water while working out? Does anyone else have an instructor who does the same thing?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps you should have a talk with your instructor. Explain to him that you're dehydrating during class, and that it's impairing your training and putting your health at risk. Also explain that if he doesn't smarten up, you're going to beat his fucking head in with a tire iron.

PROTIP: To add extra heft to your rhetoric, have the tire iron in hand.

---

Okay, I'm not actually advocating violence against the man, but if you do talk to him and he doesn't accomodate your needs, if I were in your shoes, I'd find a new school. If he's going to be this fucking wrong about water, who knows what else he's got totally wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained at places like that. And it will get your body used to needing less water.

It's also unhealthy

Ask him if he wants someone collapsing and dealing with any legal issues.

There's no way I could do BJJ with out water I soak my gi every class.

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 1:34am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can your body really absorb that much water while you train for 30 minutes? I think if you are feeling de-hydrated 30 mins into a session then you clearly didn't stay hydrated during the day and particularly the few hours leading up to your session. Try always having a water bottle near you at work.

I sweat bucket loads since we train in a 30 degree Celsius gym under a bright light with high humidity but don't drink any water during the 1 hour classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Can your body really absorb that much water while you train for 30 minutes? I think if you are feeling de-hydrated 30 mins into a session then you clearly didn't stay hydrated during the day and particularly the few hours leading up to your session. Try always having a water bottle near you at work.

I sweat bucket loads since we train in a 30 degree Celsius gym under a bright light with high humidity but don't drink any water during the 1 hour classes.
    I've actually been doing that recently; making sure I drink plenty of water throughout the day so that I'm ready to pop like a water balloon by the time I get to class. I've always been good about drinking water, but I've just been making more of a point about it lately. No change, though, I still feel dehydrated. Everything I've read says you need to replace the fluids you've lost while working out.

I'll talk to my instructor about it Monday and let you all know what he says. If he thinks I'm just whining, I'm going to consider switching schools because frankly it's just stupid not to allow us to drink water.

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 1:57am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One water break in the hour should be sufficient for you to hit the right water intake amount (8 ounces per 30 mins), so if he gives this you should just harden up and concentrate on pre-session hydration more. If he's giving 0 water breaks you might be best to carry a water bottle onto the mat and drink when the pads/gloves change or when he stops the class to explain something... thats what a lot of people do in my gym.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a good article online about hydrating during workouts, print it off, and pin it somewhere people will read it, in particular where the instructor will read it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 5:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Find a good article online about hydrating during workouts, print it off, and pin it somewhere people will read it, in particular where the instructor will read it.
    That's a good idea, actually. Thanks.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 5:04pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the tire iron idea
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that when people try to 'toughen you up', it usually involves doing something that involves increased risk of injury, decreased performace, and being counter-productive to whatever you're supposed to be toughening up for.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast