Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 7:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another weight/mass gain thread

This one is post "search function n00b" though. Although...i guess delete it if it's still that bad.

Just thought i'd ask if there were any more specifics.

Currently, i'm 145 pounds/65 kg, and about 187cm, and i'm looking to gain some weight. (Not too much about 5/6 kg), and looking in particular to gain muscle mass, rather than strength. I'm not in a big hurry to gain the weight though, there's no real time limit. (although, obviously the sooner the better).

What i've gotten so far:
    1.Gallon of Milk+sqauts!!!!! (or as much milk as you can take)
    2.Eat lots
    3.Lots of Protein+carbs
    4. Strength training
    5. No cardio (or at least very little)

Questions:
    1.High weight low rep, or the opposite? (i know one is supposed to be for size, but i've heard them mixed around so much, i'm not sure which it is.
    2. Should i cut out swimming?
    3.I do have a gym membership, but i don't get to go there as often as i'd like, are there any particular exercises i can do at home that would suit well. (I only have two 15lb dumbells, and sit ups/push ups at my disposal at the moment really)
    4.At the moment i'm drinking "supermilk" (it's a low fat multivitamin with slightly more), is the low fat element a bad thing if i'm trying to gain muscle mass? Or is fat not really related to muscle mass (or does the protein benefit outweight this negative)
    5.What's a realistic time goal to set for this gain? (or to see some of this gain). I've read between .25 and 0.5 pounds per week.
    6. Any other advice?
    Last edited by han090; 1/16/2009 7:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 10:45pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do we already have a thread with lots of good weight gain info? I am thinking about jumping on the weight gain wagon soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 11:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there's loads of them. But they're all one person asking questions. (that i've seen anyway).

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not "high weight low rep vs. high rep low weight", as this implies not having a plan and just slapping some exercises together.

Are you looking to gain weight for competition, or just to gain weight?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    It's not "high weight low rep vs. high rep low weight", as this implies not having a plan and just slapping some exercises together.

Are you looking to gain weight for competition, or just to gain weight?
    Main reason is just to gain weight, because i've never been happy with my general scrawnyness, and i'm pretty light for my weight.

Although, increased strength is the second consideration.

And it has crossed my mind that doing judo at 67kg will put me against a lot of shorter opponents who's hips will naturally be lower than mine, making me a pretty easy target for throws.

But to answer your question, I'm not doing this for an MA competition, (or for a bodybuilding competition), my main consideration is purely aesthetic.

I'm afraid i don't really understand what you mean in the first paragraph though.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats and milk. Seriously. Ditch any cardio (which you have) and ditch swimming.

His first paragraph implies you don't have a clear plan on how to go about it. Also, you are lacking some fundamentals since you are looking at this strictly from a volume/rep point of view.

Squats, back squats are your answers. Also, I don't understand why this question. Rippetoe's starting strength program, the StrongLifts 5x5 program and and DeFranco's WS4SB program have been discussed a zillion times. I find it hard to believe you haven't seen any reference to them.

In any case, either of these three program will give you what you need. At your stage, it is incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to get size gains without getting stronger. You are too slim. Where you already equiped with a somewhat muscular frame, then you could do exercises that maximize muscle hyperthrophy without necessarily optimizing for strength gains.

But from where you are right now, it would be very unwise and counterproductive to try to separate mass gain from strength gains. Choose either of these three programs already mentioned, and followed them as closely as possible to the letter for 12 to 18 months. They are all heavy on the bench press/press, squat and deadlift.

You'll need all those three to make gains. Squats and milk for the next 12-18 months baby.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, generally squats and milk is more a reference to the 20 Rep Squats routine, which could work as well, but a strength foundation would prolly help a little better.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    In any case, either of these three program will give you what you need. At your stage, it is incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to get size gains without getting stronger. You are too slim.
    It wasn't that I was thinking mass and strength gain would be completely different. I realise that obviously i'll gain strength as I gain mass. I was just stating that size increase was my goal, and that strength increase, while also very good, was not my goal.

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the routines, and i'll ditch the swimming.

Edit: I've read that any exercise routine should be started with 10-15 minutes of cardio to get your blood flowing. Should i keep this up, or drop it too?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bollocks regarding starting ANY exercise routine with 10-15 minutes of cardio. Complete bollocks.

The programs previously mentioned provide instructions regarding warming up. In general, you warm up using the same exercises (or similar) that you are to do for that day.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Bollocks regarding starting ANY exercise routine with 10-15 minutes of cardio. Complete bollocks.

The programs previously mentioned provide instructions regarding warming up. In general, you warm up using the same exercises (or similar) that you are to do for that day.
    You’ll notice that I don’t list the number of warm-up sets for your main lift on Max-Effort days or Repetition Upper Body days. Instead, I use the term “work up.” This is because the number of warm-up sets you’ll be performing is determined by how strong you are! The stronger you are, the more sets you’ll need to reach your max weight. I favor multiple sets of low reps for warming up on Max-Effort Day and just 1 or 2 sets of 6-8 reps before your first exercise on Rep Upper Body Day.

Before you warm up with weights, however, you should be performing a 5-15 minute general warm-up. Make sure you have a light sweat going before getting under the bar.
    -WS4SB Part 3 (emphasis mine)

I don't get much out of the typical cardio machines, but for whatever reason, jumping jacks boost my core temperature in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast