Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A friend insist I train him for fight even though he knows I'm not qualified.

I have somewhat of a problem. I sarted a good friend of mine on a basic routine a couple of months ago just so he could get in shape. It was a basic 4 day split. he got desirable results and now he has a new goal. He wants me to train him for a fight as his strength and conditioning coach. I told him very bluntly I am not qualified to do so by any means. But he still insist that I train him.

I don't think i can really do any damage to him but i feel like my reputation may be at risk if I train him inproperly. Espeacially if he goes in their and winds in the first round. But like I said I told him I wasn't qualified and didn't really feel comfortable doing so. Since he can't afford a coach he sweetened the deal by offering me a place to stay for the duration of his training free of expenses. Which helps me out imensly.

Anyway to make a long story short I told him I would think about it. I still haven't decided but I have been trying to plan a routine that would be effective.

Also getting him some technique. I know a guy that can help him with his wrestling for free and I can coach his kick boxing (which I also made clear I am not a trainer I just practice the art ). Now am stuck on his strength and conditioning which is the main thing he ask for. So far I have came up with a month of core exercises to get him used to high intensity compound exercises and then I am stuck.

But really what should I do here. And if it is ok to go foward with this can you give me a 10 week routine after the first month of core training? All I know is what I've done in training but my training has been ever changing and I don't feel comfortable putting together a full routine based on that. Just throw some ideas out or let me know if this is stepping out of bounds. Thanks.
    Last edited by superman36369; 1/18/2009 3:06pm at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 1:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've been totally clear with the guy that you don't feel qualified to train him in this way, and he insists he wants you to be his trainer, then.... Go for it. He's made his decision, he's an adult.
    With that in mind, There's a great video showing how Sean Sherk trains... Take a look at that for some examples.
    Also the Crossfit "Fight Gone Bad" is something BJ Penn likes, might want to check that out.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 1:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent so much time trying to figure out what the title meant, I forgot what that wall of text was supposed to be about. 'Friend wants me to train the for MMA.' Are you trying be Shaekspear?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 1:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    If you've been totally clear with the guy that you don't feel qualified to train him in this way, and he insists he wants you to be his trainer, then.... Go for it. He's made his decision, he's an adult.
    With that in mind, There's a great video showing how Sean Sherk trains... Take a look at that for some examples.
    Also the Crossfit "Fight Gone Bad" is something BJ Penn likes, might want to check that out.
    Yeah I've been perfectly clear about that lol.... I was looking at the caveman training on youtube and thought about trying to incorporate that ...is that what you are talking about? I seen it on youtube but its not that complete just clips so i thought about ordering the DVD from ATI's website.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 1:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    I spent so much time trying to figure out what the title meant, I forgot what that wall of text was supposed to be about. 'Friend wants me to train the for MMA.' Are you trying be Shaekspear?
    I was just trying to get it all in there sorry about the long title just wanted to make it clear so people that click the thread sorta knew what they were looking at. I had to run it together i ran out of space

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 9:09am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superman36369
    I was just trying to get it all in there sorry about the long title just wanted to make it clear so people that click the thread sorta knew what they were looking at. I had to run it together i ran out of space
    Take a look on T-Nation - Chad Waterbury has posted a few different articles on fitness for fighters, search under "hammer down strength" and "hammer down endurance".

Here's the structure of Fight Gone Bad ("From Cross Fit)
    In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We've used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:
    1. Wall-ball: 20 pound ball, 10 ft target. (Reps)
    2. Sumo deadlift high-pull: 75 pounds (Reps)
    3. Box Jump: 20" box (Reps)
    4. Push-press: 75 pounds (Reps)
    5. Row: calories (Calories)
    The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

And if you search through this forum I'm pretty sure TeM and some of the other guys have suggested others offering useful workouts.

It might be useful to know - how long do you have to train him? what's his current condition? and personally I was wondering - what's his actual skill level? (just reading you comment on getting him some techique).
    Last edited by Marrt; 1/17/2009 9:11am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this guy train at a Gym? Does he have sparing partners? How long have you been training in kickboxing?

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:13am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just try to seduce him. Sidle up, slip an arm around him and start rubbing on his leg.

That should get him to leave you alone.

If that backfires...may god help you.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i feel like my reputation may be at risk if I train him inproperly.
    Your reputation at what? You're afraid you will ruin your reputation as a personal trainer even though you are not a personal trainer?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 6:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    It might be useful to know - how long do you have to train him? what's his current condition? and personally I was wondering - what's his actual skill level? (just reading you comment on getting him some techique).
    his condition is not to great , I did put him on a routine around Thanksgiving and he says he has been following it pretty strictly. But it was a simple workout to get him in decent shape. He is a little over weight and he drinks and smokes lol. He does have some High School wrestling and I think Aikido or something very useless in a fight. But I think I could help him build of the westling. he has giving me as long as i need to train him. From what I gather he has got into it with someone that fights at one of the bars down here ( cowboys for anyone that is in Atlanta) and he really wants to fight him. All these things combined are one reason I am very hesitent. Just like I said though he insist. I am going Monday to talk to him and make sure he goes to the doctor to find out exactly where he is at health wise and how far I can push him. Then I am going to tell him unless he is willing to stop smoking and drinking I will not train him and he is going to have to commit to this 100%. One thing that gives me a little hope though is the guy that he wants to fight drinks and smokes too. Plus he trains like a bodybuilder from what I've been told and does massive amounts of steroids and has alot of size without power to back it up. But this is just what I've been told by people
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast