Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 9:20pm

Style: Defense Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate dosen't work?

Hi. I've been browsing the web and I've seen a lot of stuff about how Karate dosen't work and a lot of black belts even do not win in street fights. I took karate when I was like 7 but I quit quickly, but I know a lot of you take karate seriously and have been practicing for years. Is this a true fact that karate dosen't work? There's some pretty painful kicks and hand striking techniques in there. Peace.

- Wolf

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of coarse it dosen't work !!Its basically kickboxing.
    I've seen dozens of karate practitioners in many many dojos train.The way they train,isn't the way they fight.When training and doing kata they stand in lovely deep rigid stances with their fists chambered by the waist line while they do reverse punches. Yet when they do sparring,its just like kickboxing. Karate guys bounce around on the balls of their feet,they flick jabs and **** like that. All that solid forearm upper and lower block stuff is to slow and dosen't really work.

Muay Thai or kickboxing is more direct and straight to the point.They are the probably the best stand up striking arts.Karate has alot of useless baggage attatched to it.If you can try MT of KB. If not do boxing.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not all KARATE fights like described, the hand chambered and down blocks in Okinawian styles are used for grappling and throws. In the school I train at nobody bounces on thier toes.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 10:04pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, i dont know about what Hannibal said.

Sure alot of Karate is BS, but i do believe alot is misunderstood by the general public espically when it comes to their kata work.

Frankly i have known quite a few people who study Karate who fight like absolute monsters and dont fight like kickboxers. It really depends on the person, personally things like kata are important as they are a FOUNDATION of techniques and movement which after understanding its concept can be changed to your persoanlly preference in order to make them applicable. Thats just a little bit of what i have gathered. So yes, Karate doesnt work.. FOR YOU! but. for many other people it does and good luck to them .

TRAIN HARD!!! :)

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 10:05pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate work? not at all.

See it uses punches and kicks, even some sweeps and throws, and *gasp* even chokes.

problem is, those things only work when done by a MMA fighter trained in Muay Thai or BJJ.

before MMA came along and defined reality, we all lived in dreamland. Now that we have been brought to earth by the double leg tackle, we see that, in fact, Karate does NOT work.

thank god for the cage. cause till now, nobody ever fought before, and we actually used to think that Karate DID work?

Hey, maybe it only works on Japanese people!? That's a thought...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Hannibal
    Of coarse it dosen't work !!Its basically kickboxing.
    ... Yet when they do sparring,its just like kickboxing...................Muay Thai or kickboxing is more direct and straight to the point.They are the probably the best stand up striking arts.Karate has alot of useless baggage attatched to it.

wtf?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most karate schools train like crap. The same stuff that happens in TKD. Too much emphasis on forms, never really hitting a bag, let alone another person.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 11:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what he means is in MT or just vanilla KB you train your punch like you use it. You train your kicks like you use them. You do bag work and pad work and condition and spar.

versus....

Meditation, learning Japanese, doing rictualized things, kata, board breaking and using chambered punches and deep rigid stances and KIAIING when you do that reverse punch.

I'd hapeen to agree that cutting the crap is a good thing. If I want rictuals and various cultural things I'll go to Japan (in that instance). If I want to meditate I'll go find a monk. I just want to learn the techniques and drill.
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Nihilantic said. Right on the money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2003 12:05am

Style: shorin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to say it but I agree with you guys for the most part. Modern sport karate doesn't appear to be very effective from what I've seen, mostly because I believe they train for point sparring tournaments, which is fine assuming that's what they want. I don't like the bouncing and the tapping but hey, there's nothing you can really do.

I also do karate but we don't train for sport. We don't kiai or break wood.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast