1/16/2009 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT1
    Ok so the wrist weights are bad.

Can I use the 20 weight vest?
    For what? For sparring? Will that help you spar more?

What does your instructor says about it?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you can have speed you need relaxation. Before you can relax, you have to feel comfortable using the techniques you've learned. Before you can be comfortable using techniques you have to actually know the technique and have some ability to apply them in sparring.

You need regular, proper coaching to improve your technique and you need coached sparring. Using weights and doing funky speed increasing exercises won't help you with what your real problem is. The problem is that you're a total beginner and when you spar you're going to be flailing helplessly like a fish out of water, just like every other total beginner.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    For what? For sparring? Will that help you spar more?

What does your instructor says about it?
    For sparring.

Cardio wise I'm OK except for not always keeping my hands up.
    I guess I could fix that my not keeping my hands up for 1.5 hours (in which we use 16oz gloves) in the other 2 classes I take. Of course I think that would be a bad idea overall cause I'd be conditioning myself the wrong way by not always keeping my hands up.

I have a modified hand stance that I use when I feel that I'm dropping my guard and it is quite effective.

The question I have is it would benefit me speed wise (i.e. improve the speed of my footwork).

I have not asked the instructor.

I know someone that used one in a conditioning class at another place that offers Muay Thai once or twice.

I asked that person and he said that he could not comment on benefits because he felt he did not use it for a long enough amount of sessions.
    Last edited by KMT1; 1/16/2009 11:16pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Before you can have speed you need relaxation. Before you can relax, you have to feel comfortable using the techniques you've learned. Before you can be comfortable using techniques you have to actually know the technique and have some ability to apply them in sparring.

You need regular, proper coaching to improve your technique and you need coached sparring. Using weights and doing funky speed increasing exercises won't help you with what your real problem is. The problem is that you're a total beginner and when you spar you're going to be flailing helplessly like a fish out of water, just like every other total beginner.

I think you nearly hit it all on the head.

I do have a better than average defense and can block nearly whatever they throw at me.

I wish my offense was more on level with my defense.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more practice maybe?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123