...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cheap less-than-55-grain 5.56 ammo?

On MLK day I'm going to take a tactical rifle course using a Ruger Mini 14. The instructor is telling me to bring 100 rounds of 55 grain ammo and 300 rounds of "cheaper" rounds of less than 55 grain.

I called one gun shop but the owner told me that the only 5.56 cartridges he have that are lighter than 55 grain are really expensive hollow point varmit rounds.

I'm not so sure off the top of my head how to find these supposedly inexpensive low grain cartridges. Can anyone recommend a product or a brand name for me?

Thanks very much.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take whatever surplus ammo you can find.

.223 or 5.56

I think 52gr is the smallest readily available, but then I could be wrong.

You're taking a tactical course.

Get what ammo you can, learn all possible and have a good time.

After all, it is a federal holiday.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed! Thanks for the advice.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wallmart has been selling 250 round boxes of 50 gr. HP. Might be Remington, but can't remember.

It might not matter with a Mini 14, but I noticed with an AR these light rounds were not as reliable as hot 55 or 62 grain. I am guessing the pressure is a bit too low to reliably cycle the bolt. It wasn't horrible, but I was averaging one failure to feed every 200 rounds or so with the 50 grain stuff. And my rifles are almost 100% reliable with regular 55 or 62 gr. stuff..

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihonto has good advice here.

I personally have never fired 52gr rounds, but have friends who have. Personally, I'd not go lower than 55gr.

A good surplus shop can probably give you the best bang for the money if you're willing to buy a case of ammo. Even at less than this, the price should be negligible. Depends on your driving distance.

Just buy all in minimum 55gr load. If the guy can tell the difference in 3gr (3/7000lb) difference, I'll gladly ........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 6:54pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    Wallmart has been selling 250 round boxes of 50 gr. HP. Might be Remington, but can't remember.

It might not matter with a Mini 14, but I noticed with an AR these light rounds were not as reliable as hot 55 or 62 grain. I am guessing the pressure is a bit too low to reliably cycle the bolt. It wasn't horrible, but I was averaging one failure to feed every 200 rounds or so with the 50 grain stuff. And my rifles are almost 100% reliable with regular 55 or 62 gr. stuff..
    Just as an FYI this maybe due to the twist rate on your barrel. Most military guns are 1/8 or 1/9. I believe that the faster the twist the smaller the bullets you can shoot accurately say a 1/12 or a 1/14. Although I get easily confused on this for some reason. Not that it is related but I thought you should know.
    I realize you class was today but if you liked the smaller projectiles reloading is the way to go. Speer makes a very nice bthp in 52 grains and there is a really nice Horniday 50-52 gr variety of v-max and bthp.

Sorry to hijack.