Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:37pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    .....Taping mats is hard work and you lose off of the hour by doing it every class.....
    We don't tape the mats, we have four wooden "corners" literally two bits of 2x4 and some plywood holding them together, these are tied together in pairs, two sets of two. We lay these down under the mats and tighten the ropes to hold the mats together. Works like a charm and takes only minutes to set up.

On the no-gi judo front. No gi Judo is great but Judo is meant to be played in a Gi, remove the Gi and your not really doing Judo.

Anyway.....

I think the best hope for Judo in the U.S. is for the basic public perception of Judo to change. Judo needs to market itself as the logical linchpin between boxing and BJJ.

BJJ is too expensive, Boxing is too violent, JUDO!

Judo is one of the few alive arts that is gender friendly, alive, usable by young people, and doesn't have overt negative connotations for violence.

I've pointed many friends to Judo. Especially women looking for self defense and people who just don't like the idea of striking.

Judo can sell itself, and is commercially viable it just needs billed in the right light.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Juts to clarify my point is that BJJ players who want a competitive edge in gi tournament grappling should be willing to fork over some $$$ to get that edge

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:40pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, AIUI Judo is being taught as a scholastic sport in Hawaian high schools. Hopefully someone here knows more, and can give more detail.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:45pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Also, AIUI Judo is being taught as a scholastic sport in Hawaian high schools. Hopefully someone here knows more, and can give more detail.
    Man, why couldn't that be my high school.....

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:52pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit up local high school wrestling coaches, and see if they'd like to get their guys more grappling experience in the off season? For that matter, I think football players could really benefit from Judo as well. The body control and dynamic power used in Judo perfectly applies. If you want to get a youth program going, a little word of mouth recommendation from local coaches certainly wouldn't hurt.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 4:16pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Hit up local high school wrestling coaches, and see if they'd like to get their guys more grappling experience in the off season? For that matter, I think football players could really benefit from Judo as well. The body control and dynamic power used in Judo perfectly applies. If you want to get a youth program going, a little word of mouth recommendation from local coaches certainly wouldn't hurt.
    Okay...I get the client sustainability, wrestling and football happens every year, always new blood. But is that the best financial target- unless either these are ivy league or some kind of rich sports system, where will the money flow from?

Who would be a better good target group? What about targeting business, or conducting confidence therapy courses, or computer billionaires credibility enhansment? If Putin gained some respect by being a Black Belt, shouldn't all politians and CEOs want to increase their machismo quotant by getting a Judo grade?

Judo had marketed itself as allowing weak to conquer strong, target the rich weak and you should be on your way to economic viability.

Target the Chess club and Macintosh Users Club instead of the Football club!!!!
    Last edited by KO'd N DOA; 1/15/2009 4:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 4:38pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    Target the Chess club and Macintosh Users Club instead of the Football club!!!!
    Those people are already in the Aikido and/or Kung-Fu club.

I don't think there is any one solution for getting Judo into the black. It's going to take a combination of all of the suggestions here to get Judo going again in America. Unfortunately, like others have said, many in the Judo community are hesitant to try anything.
    Last edited by RaiNnyX4; 1/15/2009 4:41pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    For that matter, I think football players could really benefit from Judo as well. The body control and dynamic power used in Judo perfectly applies.
    I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. There's some transfer of physical attributes, but there's not a lot of overlap otherwise.

Sumo, on the other hand...

Edit: And in an effort not to derail things, I'm going to provide my initial thought on this thread, which is that economic sustainability is determined by two things - inflow and outflow. joecos' post about sharing space with other school is a good example (one I was going to provide myself, actually, but he beat me to it) of reducing costs. Granted, costs can only be reduced so far, but especially if the goal is "teach judo without losing money on the deal" rather than "make enough money to support myself by teaching judo", it's still worth looking at.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 1/15/2009 5:00pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 5:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think judo is the most viable martial art for kids programs that exists. Screw the tournament BJJ butt-scooters trying to gain an edge, and the MMA guys trying to adapt throws to no gi.

Get yourself a buttload of little 8-year-old dickheads, and maybe one Kramer from Seinfeld, and you've got yourself a business. Train the hard core idiots after their bedtime.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree that judo is often to hard to find.
    i had done a search for st. louis judo in the past and i saw one place that was a big drive away from me, and another place that shouldn't even be listed as st. louis. besides, they taught TKD, HKD, and judo, so it makes me wonder if they actually have good judo instruction or not.

there is no telling what is actually out there in st. louis county.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast