Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 12:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    . . .I held a Judo seminar for some BJJ guys and actually charged them money. $10 for 2 hours. It was a small step. I was laughed at by counselor.
    Seriously man, a guy with your skills should charge no less than $20-25 per person. You have trained successful MMA fighters. There are guys out there with less than half of your personal and coaching credentials who are charging much more than that.

You and Mr. Tripp have extremely valuable skills. The trick is informing the public of how much your skills are worth. Print up some flyers listing your accomplishments, or talk to a marketing person. Something to inform people of your qualifications.

Both you guys should have people lining up to join your schools. I'll talk to some of my friends in the marketing business to get some more ideas.

Maybe we need a "How to better market Judo" thread.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is UFC is free advertisement for BJJ and Judo gets the short end of the stick.

The fact the Mr. Tripp is wondering if he could get 20 students to pay $100 a month baffles my mind.

it's also something I have noted that really great martial artists and trainers are usually terrible business men.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread is for discussion of running an economically sustainable Judo dojo and the financial and cultural obstacles that stand in the way of doing so.

Just so we're clear, I chose the word sustainable rather than profitable on purpose.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a real shame, too, as I would happily pay higher fees for better facilities. At my club, some days we're bursting at the seams with too many people in too little space. However, my instructor, a sixth dan no less, has stated that he's already run commercial dojos in the past and has no intent of ever going back. And we're the only Judo place within an hour's drive.

In contrast, the local BJJ and MMA clubs are nice, professional facilities complete with weight rooms, showers, and cardio equipment. And the Aikido dojo is the best I've ever seen, space-wise, of any martial arts studio I've yet encountered.

I seriously need to find a way back west.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:23pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    Will people pay walk on fees of 15-20$ for a Judo class? Or take Judo privates at $60 +?
    When I shell out $120 a month for BJJ lessons, why did I not take a 3 month Judo membership for that? I wish I knew the answer.
    I pay ~$60 for a ten week Judo session, two classes a week, two and a half hours a class. I would pay twice that per month for BJJ and twice as much again for a month of MMA. My Judo club operates out of a local rec center as a not for profit. Nobody makes any money (as far as I know) and it's sad.

In order to make BJJ worthwhile at that cost you have to be able and willing to train four+ times a week. Simply put I don't have that time. I'm a hobbyist and play simply for fun. I've paid $5-$20 for a one off lesson and have never taken a private.

I guess the issue with me is simply cost v. reward. Judo is inexpensive and I feel I get my moneys worth from two classes a week. With BJJ I would have to train three or four times a week and as much as I would love to the missus would not tolerate it at all.

Oh well.

Mr Tripp, I wish you all the best and if your ever in new York look me up, I'll put you up in my own house and your welcome to throw me all over the mat. I'll even pay for the privilege.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the question is, "What are some cash flow opportunities other than tuition and equipment?"

Why is that the question? Because milking your students for cash (This month, XMA gear. Next month, required extra Krav Maga classes...) makes people feel icky, and rightfully so.

The answers I know so far are: seminars (for high-profile judoka/instructors), books (low ROI), videos (low profit margin), and tournaments (???).

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo hurts.

That's the single biggest issue to making money at it. Judo, simply, hurts. BJJ doesn't hurt near as much, non-contact krotty doesn't hurt at all.

People will rarely pay for things that hurt.

I would say the only way to run a financially viable school is to run two schools at once. Have a "soft" school, Aikido, Krotty, something with kids classes and lots of people.... use the revenue and the publicity from this school to pay for the Judo school.

Think time share, only for martial arts.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Coach Josh's case, should he chose to do so, he can reference his training of a current UFC fighter in his advertisements.

In Mr. Tripp's case, he could advertise his and his family's long history of participation within the known and respected ranks of Judo and their interstyle matches with BJJ practitioners.

But as Goju-Joe stated, BJJ has a built-in PR campaign in the UFC and Judo practitioner need to promote those who have Judo skillset or actively use Judo throws to draw the adult or older teen markets.

One of our local hospitals has a "Wellness Center" which has a pool, weight room, racquetball courts, basketball courts....and they feature "programs" for heatl and wellness and rehabilitation. Over the years they have had several martial arts instructors teach a program from time to time. Perhaps if there is something in their area similar to this, which can offer facilities, equipment, promotion and a fee.

Also, as a kid, I recall the Boy Scouts having several merit badges for sports and fitness and one of the programs I recall seeing often was Judo. Perhaps any of the Scout Troops in the area would be interested and would aid in building up a customer base.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Colleges will usually pay decently for martial arts instruction and especially at tech schools Japanophilia means that any Japanese martial art garners a huge amount of attention.

Judo fits in to this perfectly.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, as a techie myself.

Judo schools tend to have little to no web presence. They tend to be damnably near impossible to find.

There is an Olympic judoka in Syracuse, has been for years, he runs a Judo school out of a Krotty dojo. I only met him through my then BJJ instructor. I had looked for Judo for years in Syracuse but he had no web presence, wasn't in the phone book, he simply could not be found outside of word of mouth.

Be visible and people will come.

Hell, I'd drive to get tossed about by someone with the skill set of Coach or Mr. Tripp. I know many other Judoka who would do the same.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast