Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 5:30pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interview with Ryan Hall

A friend forwarded this interview with Ryan Hall to me today. He makes a couple of interesting assertions.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=...0&page=1&pc=21

"The shrimp is not a legitimate move."

On the topic of inverted guard: "I donít believe in it anymore. Iím not doing it anymore. I donít really believe much at all in the guard, actually."

"You are never, ever allowed to sacrifice position. Ever. Period."

I don't really get the technicalities of what he's saying about the shrimp...can anybody explain?

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 6:08pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People are always coming up with these crazy whacky schemes or 10 step moves that nobody has ever seen before to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. Just get so good that you can tell me what you’re going to do and I can’t stop you. That’s when you have something.

This is when you know that you're a good grappler. It's funny but he's starting to sound a lot like a SAMBO player, with his focus on topside dominance, emphasis on takedowns, and avoidance of slow and patient guard play.

This is a really interesting topic, with regards to playing top game. As a bigger guy who can play topside decently, I've really been focusing on playing off of my back. As an impatient player, I often end up screwing myself just as he points out by trying to rip off a quick sweep or sub against someone who's savvy enough to avoid them. I often just end up just getting passed, then have to fight off attacks from other big boys who play a nice pressuring top game. It is miserable.

As he points out, most good guard players tend to be very patient and capitalize on opponents' mistakes. Patient, I am not. And my veteran training partners just keep getting better at catching on to my limited bag of tricks from the bottom. I can definitely relate to what he's saying about not wanting to be in that position.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 6:47pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Original article source: http://lockflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=21649

I can definitely relate to a lot of what he's saying. However, I do think he goes a bit far the other direction. We know very well that guard playing works well, too. He holds up Roger as an example, but seems to ignore all the cases where Roger uses regular old full guard to devastating effect.

My own grappling game went to another level when I started throwing, using more takedowns, and focusing heavily on half/butterfly/X-guard sweeping, so I understand. But I feel like he might just be overreacting to getting squashed by high level players when he couldn't pull off his usual bag of tricks.

I really can't go along with not armbarring from the top. If someone's a lot larger than you, for instance, armbars are one of the few powerful ways to submit them. If you armbar properly, even if you can't finish it you can transition back to mount.

He does sound a bit much like a catch wrestler or SAMBO guy, heh. I wonder what his new perspective on leglocks is.

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, because a number of the guys from my club (browns and above have all moved to doing sweep, pass, mount and choke. I think it is an obvious progression within the art. The art isn't changing, it's just what a person does when they train for a long time.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the consensus he's just been pushed to the side of grappling he's not as zomg amazing at, but I'm curious to hear his ideas on shrimping.

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 9:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with shrimping is that it often puts you in a bad position. By that I mean if you're under side control and shrimp to get on your side, your opponent can still cross face / drive back into you / kill your legs and move to the other side etc. Like he said in the interview though, it's hard to describe the proper way to do it. I'm guessing he picked it up from the Rickson seminar.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS View Post
    The problem with shrimping is that it often puts you in a bad position. By that I mean if you're under side control and shrimp to get on your side, your opponent can still cross face / drive back into you / kill your legs and move to the other side etc. Like he said in the interview though, it's hard to describe the proper way to do it. I'm guessing he picked it up from the Rickson seminar.
    I've been having trouble recently with higher belts, switching their hands to block my hip and rotating around when I begin to shrimp.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 10:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this on the UG earlier today. I will repost my comment here.

Sounds a lot like Judo.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 10:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no BJJ without the guard. If a club were to spend all of it's time training people to be on top, then their guys would lose to people with good guards simply because they are not used to it. It's a balancing act.

It's also just common sense to be on top in a BJJ match, that's why you get awarded points for improving your position or sweeping to get on top. What Ryan is saying is nothing new - it's just new to him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 11:14pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol exactly

I mean it's kind of common sense.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast