Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 6:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Electro Stimulation Work?

not trying to post a bunch of threads back to back . I just read this article on Military.com about Electro Stimulation . In the article it was saying that electro stimulation was better than steroids and all kinds of athletes swear by it. I was just wandering if there is any truth in this. I usually trust the site but it sounds a bit far feched to me. The science behind it seems to make sense i guess but better than steroids? Another thing is the machine alone cost like 450 bucks and then you have to buy pads and a baterry pack. My mom actually has one of these machines that was perscribed to her for pain. But from what I've been reading is they are adjusted diffrent and the ones for pain wouldn't bring the muscles to failure like the ones designed for strength. Does anyone know anything about this , that can bring some unbiased clarity? But heres the link
    http://www.military.com/military-fit...ve-to-steroids
    Last edited by superman36369; 1/14/2009 6:34pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask yourself this, if anything was better than steroids, why would people still be using steroids?

All I've ever seen is electo stimulation used for active recovery.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had them used for what my chiro referred to as "muscle guarding" and it worked fine to loosen up the tension.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The movie 'Jackass' did an interesting study on this product. I suggest you see their results.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 12:52am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once got a pretty bad injury on my outer thigh. Couldn't walk for about a month, then could only limp, etc. Physio puts nice anti-shock-burn gel on my leg and passes a tiny electric current through the 'affected' area, because according to her that would help ease inflammation.

Considering it took a good 3 months to get better, I'm pretty sure it didn't and doesn't work. Maybe she was doing it wrong or maybe it really did work, maybe that's why I recovered in 3 months rather than 6, but I sure wasn't feeling it at the time.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:37pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are 2 kinds of electronic stimulation. I've used both kinds for different injuries. I had decent results from both. TENS (Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation) is used for pain relief. I used this for back pain, and it sounds like this is what the OP's mother has. It doesn't cause muscle growth.

The other type is EMS (or Russian-stim) that supposedly improves your muscles. I used this type of machine with a physical therapist to exercise one specific muscle in my leg to recover from a knee injury. The stimulation would cause one piece of my quad (as opposed to all 4) to contract and release repeatedly until failure to get all of the parts of my quad to be equally strong. This seemed to work, but I also had about 50 minutes of stretching and exercise that went with it.

What I've heard about the "better than steroids" claim is that the Russian athletes of yore would attach an EMS to several muscle groups while they were sleeping so that they were getting exercise all night. No idea if this is true, but I would imagine it would really suck...it's a fairly unpleasant thing to have it on just one muscle, so I can't imagine sleeping with dozens of them on. Also, I think it ignores the fact that your muscles need rest to grow, so if you exercise them all night, you would never get rest.

There's some good info (plus they sell them) at this web site:
    http://www.martialmart.com/whiselmust.html

I've thought about trying it out, but I would hate to waste $500 on one if it didn't work. And I'm guessing it either doesn't work, or is such a pain in the ass that I would never use it. Plus, $500 would probably buy a lot of steroids.

-Todd

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the electrical stimulation for physiotherapy. As far as for training, using electrodes to stimulate muscles directly bypasses the central and peripheral nervous systems altogether, and improving them is one of the primary goals of strength training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 2:51pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    bypasses the central and peripheral nervous systems altogether, and improving them is one of the primary goals of strength training.
    Really? How does strength training improve the peripheral nervous system?

In terms of responsiveness?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Really? How does strength training improve the peripheral nervous system?

In terms of responsiveness?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I think that training effects like these take place at least partly at the peripheral end of the nerve (although it's possible that said adaptations are on the muscle side of the neuromuscular junction).

Regardless, I probably could have skipped the central/peripheral distinction and simply said "nervous system".
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 3:00pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually associate these with lazy physiotherapists who just want to hook you up to a machine and go read the paper. It's good for lazy patients too. Any good PT's I've had recognized I'm not a lazy patient and did more hands-on stuff with me.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast