Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 11:23pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Art of the Tactical Carbine DVD

So Ashly and I just got this three DVD set in today. We watched part of the first one of the series and it's full of great stuff, I feel like I picked up some useful tips and techniques, I really want to start training this stuff seriously, not so much because I expect I'll have to shoot anyone but it interests me as another martial art to add to my skill set.

We're planning on doing some carbine courses when we get the chance but I feel like the DVD is a good primer on what to expect. As we watch more of the series I'll update with my impressions but I'm loving it so far.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Insert joke about learning martial arts from a DVD?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 11:47am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anna,

You can practice a whole lot of MOUT training with paintballs or simunition. I don't remember what I've forgotten about all of that stuff now.

You may want to practice a modified tactical stack and some room clearing with your partner if you get the chance. It'd be really cool to integrate some K9 handling in with the MOUT stuff. I'd rather that my dog get tagged instead of me in a real situation...

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, we were talking about doing the partner drills with our airsoft guns to practice. There's actually an airsoft place here in Atlanta where they teach courses on CQB tactics that I want to check out (taught by SWAT instructors).

I just wish tactical firearms training was something you could do like other martial arts where you sign up for your yearly membership and train every day.

But yeah, the DVD was really cool. I learned a lot that I didn't know just about how to hold your rifle, reloading, how to clear a jam etc.. lots of good basic info in addition to all the groovy tactical drills.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 12:17pm

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man...you guys get deadlier every day, huh?

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Yeah, we were talking about doing the partner drills with our airsoft guns to practice. There's actually an airsoft place here in Atlanta where they teach courses on CQB tactics that I want to check out (taught by SWAT instructors).
    You are going to have have to modify some of your tactics a little bit for CQB with two people. 3 is about the smallest number to do that stuff and have the backup/redundancy/over watch you'd ideally want. It is certainly "do-able" with two people, with the right training and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    I just wish tactical firearms training was something you could do like other martial arts where you sign up for your yearly membership and train every day.
    That is not only a cool idea, that is a GREAT idea! There are plenty of vets out there that could (and gladly would for pay) show you how to tactically breach, clear and secure buildings. How to move, shoot and conduct all aspects of MOUT operations...

If you could get a few Marines from Fallujah, and maybe an IDF guy or two from the Lebanon campaign from a little while back, or a guy from the current Gaza gunshow, you'd have a lot of real-world info. Of course, civilians don't have all the toys the military folks have (C4, Flashbangs, etc.), and you'd have to figure out how to overcome that.

What a cool idea...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    If you could get a few Marines from Fallujah, and maybe an IDF guy or two from the Lebanon campaign from a little while back, or a guy from the current Gaza gunshow, you'd have a lot of real-world info. Of course, civilians don't have all the toys the military folks have (C4, Flashbangs, etc.), and you'd have to figure out how to overcome that.

What a cool idea...
    You'd have to define the goals of the course. If most peoples' goals was, for example, defense against a home invasion consisting of four guys armed with machine pistols without the use of certain tactical aids, you could teach something specifically for that. I doubt a lot of civilians would want to spend a lot of time and money learning how to do stuff they would presumably never end up doing, e.g. securing a house in Iraq held by insurgents with AKs and suicide vests while not getting blown up by IEDs on the way over.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We should create a chain of franchises. We should also insist that what we are teaching is the r34l Tae Kwon Do.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    We should create a chain of franchises. We should also insist that what we are teaching is the r34l Tae Kwon Do.
    Like a different colored patch for every $100 dollars spent on classes at the school? Hahahaha

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 7:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    You'd have to define the goals of the course. If most peoples' goals was, for example, defense against a home invasion consisting of four guys armed with machine pistols without the use of certain tactical aids, you could teach something specifically for that. I doubt a lot of civilians would want to spend a lot of time and money learning how to do stuff they would presumably never end up doing, e.g. securing a house in Iraq held by insurgents with AKs and suicide vests while not getting blown up by IEDs on the way over.
    I agree, but knowing how to clear a room and move tactically would benefit almost all gun owners. I'd be a bit leery of who I showed how to build an improvised shaped charge, even if they didn't have access to C4, blasting caps and time fuse.
    Last edited by Colby; 1/16/2009 9:48am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast