fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    OP: What about getting a FN Five SeveN and a P90? My understanding is they accept the same cartridge.
    QFT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n4l
    So you are saying it doesn't matter if I am shooting 9mm .45 or .228 as long as I am "on target" and that it is better to have a few more "tries" in your mag. than the bigger blow?

Would make sense.
    I wouldn't go that far. The message should be more like "the right tool for the right job."
    Obviously having round on target is of the upmost importance: a .22 on target is going to do more damage than an anti-tank 20mm round that sails off into the distance. But knock-down power is a legitimate concern. A lot of the pistol rounds have similar effect when compared to each other, but compared to a rifle round it's like a Toyota compared to a Porche. Rifles just fundamentally perform better. But a .45 is easier to handle in a home defense situation (i.e. indoors) and won't go through a couple walls and kill your neighbor.

When deciding what kind of firearm or combinations of firearms you want to own, the biggest question is of purpose. If you just want to shoot recreationally, a small caliber pistol and/or rifle combination would be perfectly adequate. For home defense you'd want a shotgun or larger caliber pistol. For hunting you'd want a high powered rifle for large mammals or a shotgun for birds. For tactical use/zombie apocalypse a high powered rifle or carbine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 9:27am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n4l
    So you are saying it doesn't matter if I am shooting 9mm .45 or .228 as long as I am "on target" and that it is better to have a few more "tries" in your mag. than the bigger blow?

Would make sense.
    Exactly. A miss with a .45 is still a miss and make no mistake about in fight or flight reactions there are going to be a lot of misses.

I wish I still had the crime scene photos but back in the day a kid got shot in the upper right trap by a .22 short. The exit hole was at his left hip. Obviously this dosen't mean .22 short is a man stopper but in the end when you look at it, in modern hollow points 9mm vs whatever is nominal at best. FMJ is where the .45 really trumps the 9mm and 40.

I absolutely agree that the shotgun is the ultimate QCB weapon and with slugs your're going out to 60 yards.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if I ever would be in the position to buy a gun I guess I would go by durability, handling and that the rounds are cheap and widely available. Because what is the use of a gun if you can't take it to the range and shot it as much as possible?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123