Page 27 of 29 First ... 1723242526272829 Last
  1. #261

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    527
    Style
    FMA, MT & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who have heard the same explanations (wedging, leaning back to protect the head) given by quite a few chunners as an explanation for their stance? I'm not kidding here, or trying to make a joke about LPR, it's just an observation.

  2. #262
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,708
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    Interesting MT vintage pic, isn't it?
    Last edited by DCS; 1/24/2009 11:43pm at .

  3. #263

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    499
    Style
    Jiu-jitsu & HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc
    Am I the only one who have heard the same explanations (wedging, leaning back to protect the head) given by quite a few chunners as an explanation for their stance? I'm not kidding here, or trying to make a joke about LPR, it's just an observation.
    As I understand it, Westerners in the LPR period thought Chun looked a lot like the boxing of their time. That's why it was sometimes called "chinese boxing".

  4. #264
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,838
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember an IKF magazine article from the '80s, speculating that wing chun had been partly inspired by bare-knuckle pugilism. The similarity of stance is undeniable, but the article stopped well short of offering any proof; it was just an interesting theory.

    Very few (if any) Westerners during the 1800s could have distinguished between styles of Chinese martial arts. I've read traveler's reports published in Victorian newspapers that do refer to what we would recognize as martial arts training, but nothing to suggest an awareness of individual styles. The famous "Boxer Rebellion" at the turn of the 20th century was so-called in the West because the ritualistic unarmed combat training of Yihe Tuan societies resembled that of boxing and because the name ("Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists") was sometimes translated as "Righteous Boxers" in English.

  5. #265
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,744
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape
    As I understand it, Westerners in the LPR period thought Chun looked a lot like the boxing of their time. That's why it was sometimes called "chinese boxing".
    Chinese boxing doesn't just refer to the chun, though. I think kung fu was given that name because its the closest western equivalent.

  6. #266
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,838
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Chinese boxing doesn't just refer to the chun, though. I think kung fu was given that name because its the closest western equivalent.
    Yep - just like jujitsu being referred to as "Japanese wrestling" or Tae Kwon Do being promoted as "Korean karate" when those arts were introduced to the Western world.

  7. #267
    Hesperus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    3,039
    Style
    Kano-Gracie
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    Yep - just like jujitsu being referred to as "Japanese wrestling" or Tae Kwon Do being promoted as "Korean karate" when those arts were introduced to the Western world.
    Well the bit about TKD sounds...correct.

  8. #268

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    31
    Style
    Ninja Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Choking noises. Because that's what I do to people bigger then me even if they technically suck.

    I mean really, are you just trying to prove what a super-douche you are by going "AnnaT should fight someone 50lbs heavier LOL"?
    get over yourself, you could not fight your way out of a paper sack, you get attention around here because you are a girl, the fellows are hoping that tolerating you and your self absorption, you might give "it" up to them.:eusa_naug

  9. #269
    MrBadGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seven Seas of Rhye
    Posts
    2,899
    Style
    Grapplomancer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're getting better. "give "it" up to them" was kind of funny.

  10. #270

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    31
    Style
    Ninja Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks.

Page 27 of 29 First ... 1723242526272829 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO