Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which training regime is better for an aspiring fighter?

Basically, I'm currently at 1 gym which offers a lot of different classes, as you'll see below. The only thing they don't offer that much of is BJJ w/gi, and although a lot of people say the transition without the gi is tough, most top fighter nowadays seems to at least have a pretty good base in BJJ. They do offer a lot of no-gi BJJ and general MMA classes, but I'm not sure whether it would be best to have a solid BJJ w/gi grounding first... So, I've considered joining a very well respected BJJ school nearby so that 3 days a week i could focus just on BJJ (roughly doing 11 hours there per week )and the rest of the time on other aspects of MMA. If you can't be bothered to look @ both weeks and decide which is better, then just general input on what you think the best route for someone starting out would be.
    Thanks for any help.
    Here's the different weeks:
    This would be without the BJJ school:
    Monday:
    2:30-4 - muay thai
    7:30-9 - muay thai
    Tuesday:
    2:30-4 - No-gi BJJ
    6-7 - Beginner MMA/no-gi BJJ
    7-8 - BJJ w/gi
    8-9 - No-gi BJJ
    Wednesday:
    2:30-4:30 - MMA/submission wrestling
    6-7:15 - Muay thai
    8-9 - BJJ w/gi
    Thursday:
    2:30-4 - Muay thai
    8-9 - BJJ w/gi
    Friday:
    2:30-4 - MMA/submission wrestling
    6-7 - No-gi BJJ
    Saturday:
    11-12:30 - BJJ w/gi
    12:30-2 - Muay thai
    3-4:15 - MMA/Submission wrestling
    Sunday:
    1:30-2:30 - Muay thai
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    And this would be my week if I went to the BJJ academy:
    Monday (same as other regimen):
    2:30-4 - muay thai
    7:30-9 - muay thai
    Tuesday (at BJJ academy):
    12-1:30 - BJJ Basics
    7:45-9:30 - BJJ Basics
    Wednesday (at BJJ Academy):
    12-1 - BJJ
    6:30-7:45 - BJJ Basics
    7:45-9:30 - BJJ
    Thursday (same as other regimen):
    2:30-4 - Muay thai
    8-9 - BJJ w/gi
    Friday (at BJJ Academy):
    6:30-7:45 - No-gi sparring
    7:45-9:30 - BJJ Basics
    Saturday:
    11-12:30 - BJJ w/gi
    12:30-2 - Muay thai
    3-4:15 - MMA/Submission wrestling
    Sunday:
    1:30-2:30 - Muay thai

By the way, I understand I'm not incorporating anything else such as wrestling into the mix, but that's because I'm still just starting out and want to get a good base in 2 things first, and not just be mediocre at 3. After a while I'll look for a real good Wrestling school.
    Thanks again.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been training, and what's your general fitness level? Either of those schedules will burn you out before a month is over if you're not already in fighting shape.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in good phyical condition. I lift roughly 5x per week and do an hour of cardio about 5x a week as wekk, and every time I train I train hard. I've been doin this for a couple years, and also I've been doing MT for a while (few months, only a few times a week though). My diets very good, I'm conscious of what I eat, no junk food, high protein/carbs and lots of good fat.
    I'm not expecting to be able to do every single one of the classes straight away, but I want to choose the right schedule for me so I can work towards it, if that makes sense...?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't start BJJ until you've become proficient at sparring. That is all. Now go back to training.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And for the record, you don't need pure BJJ to get good in MMA, all you need are good training partners.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proficient at what sparring, Grappling I assume? I would have thought training BJJ would help that process...?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oy vey. Either there's something you're telling me kid or you're not the sharpest tool in the shed. Sparring=striking, rolling=grappling.

I'm a firm believer that gi grappling is not necessary for mma if that's your focus. The rule is "Get good at one thing before starting to immerse yourself in other skills.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I mentioned that I've only done MT before, and that I want to get into BJJ, so why be so patronising just because I don't know certain terminology? Someone not knowing something makes them ignorant (not stupid), which I am in regards to BJJ, hence this thread :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I agree with what you said about getting good at 1 thing before mixing lots of other stuff in, which is why now I want to know whether to incorporate more gi based BJJ or no-gi on top of the MT.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasseye View Post
    I think I mentioned that I've only done MT before, and that I want to get into BJJ, so why be so patronising just because I don't know certain terminology? Someone not knowing something makes them ignorant (not stupid), which I am in regards to BJJ, hence this thread :)
    Which means my comment is more meaningful. I was addressing your MT skills not your grappling skills because you only mentioned the stand up training.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I agree with what you said about getting good at 1 thing before mixing lots of other stuff in, which is why now I want to know whether to incorporate more gi based BJJ or no-gi on top of the MT.
    No gi if you're doing MMA. Gi will be good to advance your training later.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Roger Gracie's academy is just down the road from me so maybe in a few years I'll go check it out =)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last