Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 8:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Snake: You watch a lot of infomercials, don't you?
    LOL.

SHAM-WOW MAN? IS THAT YOU?

Actually, no, I don't. I have a wife. With a list. A long comprehensive list of what I need to do each month.

Oldie:

The owners of the company were techs....actually for years they were the only 2 techs. So two filters is extraneous?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie
    I cant believe that you dont have a "pillow bag" on your pillow. It prevents dust mites from living in it, which can cause some allergy problems.
    I do. I guess I forgot that one. Thanks for adding it. I keeps the pillow cleaner for a longer time. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by theruss
    Toothbrush: Good oral hygiene reduces your chances of getting sick in all sorts of interesting ways (one of the first Google hits is for pancreatic cancer). That's the good news. The bad news, in two words: toilet aerosol (lots of other interesting stuff at that link, check it out). So either put the lid down or move the brush out of range. Also, change toothbrushes regularly.
    Nice add.

We rotoate out toothbrushes every two months and weekly use a Violight to sanitize them.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    You should also clean your toothbrush once a week by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. See the tiny bubbles? That's the cell walls of some of your former mouth bacteria rupturing. Lyse, lyse baby.
    One of my Chem professors used to advocate use of H2O2 instead of mouthwash.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Indoor Air Quality: Lastly, one of the best and cheapest things you can do to promote indoor air quality is to have indoor plants. NASA performed a study many years ago to find out what plants were most efficient in "scrubbing" the air clean of impurities. I can't remember the whole list, but Pathos Ivy's were in the top five. They are sold all over the U.S. and are hard as hell to kill. I have one that's over fifteen years old and has survived some pretty impressive plant trauma.
    Good add.
    Plants are definitely a great resource. How do you deal with the little gnats that sometimes come with them?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sharp make a really interesting product - Plasmacluster - which balances positive and negative ions and also disables airborn mold particles & allergens, as well as purifying the air.
    The science seems solid, and companies in Japan have room-sized versions to stave off colds and flu etc.
    My store only sold a few - on one occasion to an antiques dealer who was allergic to dust and she reported that after a few days the thing had taken the dust out of the atmosphere and she could breathe much easier.
    http://www.sharp.ca/products/ion/plasma_home.asp

Snake... how do you clean your washing machine?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 8:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy LOLidays
    For the love of all that is real, can't noone make a new avatar for oldman?

I always feel my nipples tickling when I look at it...

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    For the love of all that is real, can't noone make a new avatar for oldman?

I always feel my nipples tickling when I look at it...

Ok ok ok...I will change it. Goddam you homophobes. I just have to come up with an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by snake
    Oldie:

The owners of the company were techs....actually for years they were the only 2 techs. So two filters is extraneous?
    Yeah it is. Like I said, if you really need that level of filtering there are better (not cheaper) ways of doing it. See, mold grows in your condensate drain pan during the cooling season. The air blows across this pan when it blows across the indoor (evaporator) coil. The pan and coil are downstream of the filter so any mold spores and such that are being taken from the water in the pan are entering your discharge air. There really isnt a need for mold filtration unless your house is in a wet climate. The arid conditions where you live prohibit mold growth.

Simply pouring a tablespoon of bleach in the pan every 45 days will kill the mold. You can also buy tablets that are made for this type of thing.

The humidifier that you have in your sons room is a good source of mold spore. I suggest that you use distilled water for this and change it every day.

Sorry for the serious answer but you used the word extraneous so I felt it was called for.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 1/13/2009 11:40am at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it is. Like I said, if you really need that level of filtering there are better (not cheaper) ways of doing it. See, mold grows in your condensate drain pan during the cooling season. The air blows across this pan when it blows across the indoor (evaporator) coil. The pan and coil are downstream of the filter so any mold spores and such that are being taken from the water in the pan are entering your discharge air. There really isnt a need for mold filtration unless your house is in a wet climate. The arid conditions where you live prohibit mold growth.

Simply pouring a tablespoon of bleach in the pan every 45 days will kill the mold. You can also buy tablets that are made for this type of thing.
    OK, nice.

Now I just need to convince the little woman.

The humidifier that you have in your sons room is a good source of mold spore. I suggest that you use distilled water for this and change it every day.
    Oh, don't you worry about that. =)
    We use distilled H2O in the humidifier....hell, we even use it in the iron.

Sorry for the serious answer but you used the word extraneous so I felt it was called for.
    TEM and theruss would have added graph, charts, hyperlinks and colored font.

Snake... how do you clean your washing machine?
    generally run a empty load with bleach through there once a month and once a month vacuum out the lint trap and exhaust pipe for the clothes dryer.

Got a better suggestion?

and I like that little Sharp gizmo, I need to look into that.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 12:03pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok ok ok...I will change it. Goddam you homophobes. I just have to come up with an idea.
    Please do keep the tinfoil hat.

Oh, and what about tinfoil hats for health? I've constructed mine with a layer of foam in between two layers of tinfoil, effectively creating a Farraday cage for my brain. It stops most of the voices.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 12:25pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Good thread. Let me try one.

Toothbrush: Good oral hygiene reduces your chances of getting sick in all sorts of interesting ways (one of the first Google hits is for pancreatic cancer). That's the good news. The bad news, in two words: toilet aerosol (lots of other interesting stuff at that link, check it out). So either put the lid down or move the brush out of range. Also, change toothbrushes regularly.
    Note - putting the lid down when you flush doesn't help. It's not an airtight seal and therefore only serves to increase the aerosol effect(like putting your thumb over the end of a faucet). Don't leave your toothbrush near the toilet (a separate room is best).
    Last edited by Craigypooh; 1/13/2009 12:34pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Please do keep the tinfoil hat.

Oh, and what about tinfoil hats for health? I've constructed mine with a layer of foam in between two layers of tinfoil, effectively creating a Farraday cage for my brain. It stops most of the voices.
    Tinfoil hats actually amplify particular frequencies - that just happen to be reserved by the US government.

What's that? You want... the graph? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE GRAPH!

(Source: Rahimi et al, "On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study"... God, I love that paper)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigypooh
    Note - putting the lid down when you flush doesn't help. It's not an airtight seal and therefore only serves to increase the aerosol effect. Don't leave your toothbrush near the toilet (a separate room is best).
    There's conflicting data on that one.

Closing the toilet lid had little effect in reducing the number of bacteria released into the air which was c. 1000 CFU m−3 after the first flush (data not shown). Although splashes would probably have been contained by closing the lid, there was a gap of 15 mm between the top of the porcelain rim and the seat, and also a gap between the seat and the lid of 12 mm which would allow aerosols to escape into the room. Conversely, Darlow and Bale (1959) found that closing the lid reduced the aerosol concentration by a ratio of 1 : 2 but their measurements were performed using a 'wash-down' toilet and an impinger air sampler. In contrast, Bound and Atkinson (1966) found that closing the lid did not significantly reduce the bacterial count in the air from a 'wash-down' toilet seeded with E. coli using a slit sampler positioned at seat level.
    -Barker et al., "The potential spread of infection caused by aerosol contamination of surfaces after flushing a domestic toilet"

A lid will slow both diffusion and ballistic movement, even though it's not an airtight seal, but you're right in that it's not sufficient to prevent contamination on its own.

I keep my toothbrush, etc. in the little cupboard behind the bathroom mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/13/2009 12:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Separate water closet for the win. What's funny is I read about this a number of years ago. For a while, I lined my lid with foam tape to create a "seal" between the lid and the bowl until it occurred to me that one, that didn't do anything to help the gap between the seat and the bowl, and two, people have been living in squalid conditions for thousands of years, a few E. coli cultures around my bathroom probably wouldn't kill me.

In fact, I'd be a raging germophobe if I didn't constantly remind myself of this fact.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast