Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    I have heard of hanging tennis balls from the ceiling and hitting them. I would do it in the middle of a room so that you can move around it.

But my opinion is any training is better than no training. What type of striking are you doing? Didn't you say that you do the chun? If so you should look up how to build one of those Wing Chun dummies. I don't do the Chun but I found this one time. Looks pretty easy and cheep to build. May want to try it.

http://alliancemartialarts.com/diy-mook-jong.htm
    I read about the tennis ball thing and screwed one to my ceiling a while back. I made the height adjustable and kicked it a few hundred times a day after training. It didn't take that long, but it felt like it improved my technique, reactions, and accuracy immensely.

Then I kicked the string once by accident, it wrapped around my foot, and I ripped it out of the ceiling. :icon_sad::5oops:

Try at your own risk, eh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL!! That's pretty funny, but I can totally picture that happening. Better luck next time, eh?

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People please remember when kicking/striking air or "almost air" (as a TKD practitioner I know what I am talking about) make sure you have full control of the technique at all times and never fully extend the arm/leg because otherwise you will strike/kick "into your joints" which will damage them over time. We have a few old school BB that have issues after years of doing this.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:13am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    I have heard of hanging tennis balls from the ceiling and hitting them. I would do it in the middle of a room so that you can move around it.
    I attached a tennis ball to the end of a short length of elastic, which in turn was stitched to the brim of an old baseball cap. Good for hand speed, accuracy, and movement.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.
    People please remember when kicking/striking air or "almost air" (as a TKD practitioner I know what I am talking about) make sure you have full control of the technique at all times and never fully extend the arm/leg because otherwise you will strike/kick "into your joints" which will damage them over time. We have a few old school BB that have issues after years of doing this.
    QFT, and some push ups from my side.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 2:35pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bungee cords + nerf basketball + duct tape = an excellent way to make a double-end bag CHEAP.

tape the cords to each end of the ball so you have a ball in the middle of a straight line, essentially. Cover the ball with the duct tape, especially the metal parts of the bungee cords. Hook the bottom to a weight and the top to the ceiling, a tree branch, whatever.

It's a great way to work on timing, hand techniques, head movement, etc. Here's a reasonably simple video to show some techniques you can use - more for boxers, but you can adapt to your needs:

YouTube - Boxing - The Double End Bag
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12