WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 11:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Yiliquan1
    And your point is?

(Concerning all the black belts present)

You guys are so modest here on the boards, did not know you were at the black belt level. You know the attitude you sometimes get from "masters" in the real world.

Death Dealer

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, depends on how injured I am from the tournament. Girls generally don't get hurt much, but my knee got banged up a bit sparring on Saturday after we finished, and it's black and blue. Hopefully that heals well before. The 2nd weekend in April might be ok. Maybe start at 10 and go to 3, though? I loathe early mornings. :p

I had a great time, too, and am definitely looking forward to another one. Oh, and I don't care about the belt thing. I'll wear sweatpants and a t-shirt if you guys wanna do that. Whatever. Just let me know what's decided, and I'll be cool with it.

I totally want to do more grappling. I would love if we could sort of set up partner grappling and practice different takedowns/guard escapes/whatever else until we're sort of familiar with at least 5-6 kinds. Hopefully someone with knowledge of Judo/BJJ comes again. Also, I'm cool with more conditioning if you guys are up to it. When we went back to our dojo for the regular training, we got to do it all over again! :p yay

Any other suggestions for what to do next time?
    We are Kyokushin. We fight. And sometimes we do kata.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by blankslate
    (Concerning all the black belts present)

You guys are so modest here on the boards, did not know you were at the black belt level. You know the attitude you sometimes get from "masters" in the real world.
    I just wore it because it matched the rest of the outfit... :D Honestly, my only concern is that while in that environment I'll be wearing my uniform with some kind of belt, simply because those are my training duds and they are way more durable than sweats and t-shirts could hope to be. But next time I'll wear a white belt... *note to self - beat up Joe and take his white belt... just remember to avoid roundhouse kick to floating ribs next time...*

Suggestions for next time? More grappling? Oh yes, Virginia, more grappling...

I will say that my eyes were opened... Not to the wondrous magic of groundfighting, but exactly how much of it is already in our forms. I love saying that, because I know that somewhere there is a MMAist squirming from the inside out wanting to rebut that comment... But seriously, when I was working on passing the guard with Brad, I did some things that were literally straight out of one of our forms (and totally second nature - not really a big deal, but I had learned them from stand up and from forms, not from ground fighting), and I am highly interested in seeing where other things may be stashed away...

I could propose a number of things, but I have to admit that they all have very selfish motivations at heart...

I want Dibble (and now Speed Bump as well) to teach some of their sensitivity drills. I love those things...

I want Brad and Kris to teach more ground fighting / judo stuff.

I want Kris to go over more kata bunkai, both theory and application.

I want Chufeng to bitchslap somebody else.

Et cetera...

Ultimately, I just like to get together and hang out! For that matter, we could do what the folks at E-budo do on a regular basis in Japan (I used to do this with them) - a Boozeup! It doesn't necessarily have to be a "booze" up, but we could make reservations at a restaurant or bar, occupy a large, secluded section, and just eat, drink and dare anyone in the place to mess with us!

Just a thought.

Here's hoping that next time around Dibble, JKDChick, Neil Yamamoto, Fragbot and all the others that wanted to attend but couldn't will be able to show up.
    Last edited by Matt Stone; 2/23/2004 12:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know the attitude you sometimes get from "masters" in the real world.
    Those who think that way have stopped learning...even Funakoshi and Ueshiba were learning right up to the last few moments of their lives...who among us can claim even a smidgen of their skills?

chufeng

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want Chufeng to bitchslap somebody else.
    Then it's your responsiblity to make sure Stewart shows up, next time.

chufeng

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:25am

Style: kali/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I started doing something with Gajus that we only got do once. Basically it's more sensitive drills. It amounts to grabbing each others arms/wrists/shoulders to get better position then try to do a takedown of some sort out of it.

Second week of April works great for me, also. Definetly can't do the first week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:06pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm sorry to have missed it

Originally posted by chufeng
    Let me say this publicly...the Goju gentleman who shared our training space today is an exceptional martial artist.

I've seen lots of goju folks who simply could not punch their way out of a paper bag...Chris will put all of those guys away

He understands the real Goju...

Stop for a moment and think about the implications...
    We have, in our area a real martial artist who understands the subtleties necessary to make his art work...
    It sounds like good fun was had by all. I was up early enough but ended up heading to xingyi instead.

I hadn't known Kris was going. He's good at goju and, for that matter, a decent judoka as well. FYI, through his last Martial U, I met another good goju guy from the area as well. I don't really remember his name (Mark Loucks?) but he's a youngish (mid-late 30s) guy who's spent something like 6 years on Okinawa and teaches out of his garage. I guess he usedta teach at the Vault downtown.

I dunno. Maybe next time. . .Neil could ride down with me in my dogmobile.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fragbot -

Where do you do Xingyi? What style? I'd be really interested in checking it out... When is your training (God, please do not say Saturday mornings - that's when I have Yili...)?

It was a load of fun... Can't wait for the next one. For that matter, Fragbot, you could invite your Xingyi compadres! That'd be a great experience for everyone I'm sure...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 10:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Matt, Fragbot should plan on attending the next one...it would be nice to see XingYi represented.

chufeng

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 4:31pm

Style: kali/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does someone, more active on this forum than me, want to start a NW McThrowdown III thread?
    Get the ball rolling...
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617