Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 4:51pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun at Shakti Yoga and Living Arts

My kwoon is a great place to learn wing chun. We have a bamboo floored studio for saturday classes and training equipment in the basement. My sifu is a really cool d00d and everybody likes him. He's really wise and is good at answering questions.
    There is no bullshido at my kwoon because we dont do anything that wont work on the street. We dont just rush in with machinegun punches. Our training may be traditional but it IS alive. We do forms as the "alphabet" of the style, not as dead patterns.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alex8876; 7/13/2007 5:06pm at . Reason: pic and better review.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 1:18am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is like the shortest and least fulfilling review out there. Questions:

When do you "end" a roll in chi sau? Is it with a single "big hit to a vital area", a "shove" or "push off" hit, or with chun choi (multiple hits to the chest)? Is forward energy required or optimal on the finish? Do you have video?

Do you leave with bruises? Where and how often?

For the sake of the review, what lineage is the sifu from? Who is your sigung, sitaigung, etc? (Yes, I realize that some of this is on the provided web-page, but it should be here as well.)

How long do you take to start chi-sao? How long do you take to start learning bil-ji? Why?

What is your idea of "trapping"? Do you aim to trap before striking, or is it a by-product of punching someone? Do you focus on getting a trap first?

Do you get many opportunities to train with other _unners in your family or elsewhere? Do you get to see your sifu get schooled by his si-hing and si-baks?

I may know some of the answers to these questions already, but I thought they should go in the review to help flesh it out and be more educational.

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 4:29pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When do you "end" a roll in chi sau? Is it with a single "big hit to a vital area", a "shove" or "push off" hit, or with chun choi (multiple hits to the chest)? Is forward energy required or optimal on the finish? Do you have video?

No video srry. I'm not exactly advanced and still on basic drills so i can only give you educated guesses, from what i've seen sifu do in class with his son.

Don't know where the rolls end but we use both the "big hit" and the "machine-gun" (as we affectionately refer to it) interchageably

Do you leave with bruises? Where and how often?

Usually bruises in the center of my chest, not every class, but fairly routinely.

Every now and then a swollen lip or bloody nose. Nothing's been damaged too bad yet but i wouldn't doubt it in the future when i get better.

For the sake of the review, what lineage is the sifu from? Who is your sigung, sitaigung, etc? (Yes, I realize that some of this is on the provided web-page, but it should be here as well.)

Sijo Yip Man->Sitaigung Moy Yat->Sigung Lee Moy Shan->Sifu David Robinson

How long do you take to start chi-sao? How long do you take to start learning bil-ji? Why?

However long it takes for sifu or his son to decide to teach us. Tradition. You NEVER ASK to be taught something.

What is your idea of "trapping"? Do you aim to trap before striking, or is it a by-product of punching someone? Do you focus on getting a trap first?

You should either be controlling the opponents limbs or the free hand flies forward. you dont plan to trap or plan to hit. they're interchangeable

Do you get many opportunities to train with other _unners in your family or elsewhere? Do you get to see your sifu get schooled by his si-hing and si-baks?

No.

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 5:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How can you review something when you dont have any prior experience to base it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Do you get to see your sifu get schooled by his si-hing and si-baks?
    Funny.

Man it sounds like the kid just started training, he's not going to be able to answer most of those questions for a minute. I study under a simular lineage, Moy Yat's my Sigung. Nice to hear they're giving you busted lips and bloody noses on the Siu Nim Tao level. Make sure to train hard physically outside of class and maybe ask one of your si hing's to meet up and go at it full contact after class.

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, realisticly he should have waited a bit to write a review. The thing that concerns me most though are the prices listed on the website. $300 a month??? You can also do 10 classes for $150. That just seems like a reason for serious students not to train hard though. Ack.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex8876
    However long it takes for sifu or his son to decide to teach us. Tradition. You NEVER ASK to be taught something.

Uh ... yes, you can. But, if you ask a question, it's best you are prepared for the answer.

:smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am currently the longest attending member of Lee Gar Lung Ving Tsun at Shakti Yoga and Living Arts. My Sifu learned from SiGong Lee Moy Shan who learned from SiTaiGong Moy Yat.

Dagon, each of your questions can be tackled a thousand different ways. Answering any of them with a single solution is going against what I believe to be the Ving Tsun approach, mutability.

For a quick and to the point description of our school,

As far as we are concerned, we practice the Ving Tsun of SiJo Yip Man. We are very traditional in our atmosphere and training methods. Nearly needless to say, the speed at which a student advances is directly proportionate to how hard the student trains and how often the student attends class. The level of intensity is also dependant upon the goals of the student. We have college age students who are into the fighting aspect of Ving Tsun. They regularly leave with bloody lips, bruises, black eyes, etc. We also have adults interested much more in the energetic/fitness aspects of Ving Tsun practices and they execute partner exercises more softly. Each student falls in a range somewhere between those two categories.

About learning Biu Ji, we follow the Ving Tsun Laws concerning our third form.

Also, we are as active as we can be in the SiTaiGong Moy Yat family. We jump at the opportunity to touch hands with other practitioners with different qualities in learning method, style and technique.

I'd like to quickly note that we are not a regular martial arts school. My Sifu no longer teaches Ving Tsun commercially. Our school is a private club, all interested parties can observe a class by appointment only in which they will speak with the Sifu. More information is available on the website.

http://www.shaktinj.com/KungFu.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Yeah, realisticly he should have waited a bit to write a review. The thing that concerns me most though are the prices listed on the website. $300 a month??? You can also do 10 classes for $150. That just seems like a reason for serious students not to train hard though. Ack.
    I don't think your prices are correct. The monthly fee is $150, otherwise each class is $20.

Fellow Ving Tsun practitioners, please consider yourselves invited for a visit should you happen to be in the area. Use the contact information on the website to get ahold of us first, if you please.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 12:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ving Tsun Laws concerning our third form.

Wow. I was wondering when this would happen a chunner went from theory to Law.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 1:10am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanktronic
    About learning Biu Ji, we follow the Ving Tsun Laws concerning our third form.

Okay, I'll bite: Can you humor me by explaining what are your Ving Tsun Laws concerning your third form?

(Keep in mind I'm the one seated on the far right of the large group photo.)
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12/25/2008 1:12am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanktronic
    Dagon, each of your questions can be tackled a thousand different ways. Answering any of them with a single solution is going against what I believe to be the Ving Tsun approach, mutability.
    Of course, which is one of the reasons I've never written a review of the school I attend. :P However, as this is a "review" section, the more writing and description the better. And since there is a review up, which is sorely lacking, I'm only trying to help out by asking questions that may help make the review better. Now, I may be able to find the answers to some of my questions by looking around, but they really should just be written in here too.

^^^^I can't tell, but is that your SiGong? That's a pretty famous picture that my SiTaiGong seems to be rather proud of. I've gotten to meet a couple of the other guys in it. I'm hoping with some of the family reunions happening lately that I may meet more extended family (Moy Bing Wah, Lester, and Miguel were at the last one, which was awesome).

Which reminds me: Tom, you should have come down with the guys to the Beach? :P

Also, I think a good _ing _un review should come with video. :icon_joke
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast