Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 5:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighting a Taller Opponent?

I'm 5'8" 140 lbs, and set to fight a fellow who's 6' 175 lbs. It's just basement brawling with little more than our egos at stake, but my ego means quite a bit to me and I would like to win. Clearly I have an uphill battle ahead of me, but I believe I have much more training and skills than he does.

My game plan is to seize the initiative with kicks- leg kicks, side kicks, and push kicks will be my primary weapons in the beginning of the fight. Ideally this will hurt his legs and tire him out.

I'll mostly try to parry his punches from outside and counterpunch him. I don't believe he has much training, so hopefully my superior form will translate into superior power despite his size advantage. Eventually, though, I'll want to close in quickly, try to get a thai clinch, and attack him with knees. This is where my game needs a bit of work- do you guys have any tips on how to quickly close the range and get the thai (or any other effective) clinch against a taller opponent?

From the clinch I would like to move quickly to the ground via takedown or throw. I don't think he's had much groundfighting experience, so I expect this to be ok as long as I stay active and work for the mount. There's a good chance he'll give me his back, hopefully even better if I can score enough high punches to frighten him into turning around. Hopefully I'll be the more aggressive fighter, though I admit my conditioning is extremely subpar.

So what do you guys think of this game plan? Is this likely to succeed? Do you have any tips on how to achieve the clinch and then attack from it? Anything I should add or consider?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 5:49am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What rule set are you using, and what sort of training does he have? Saying it's minimal, or that you have more/better training than he does doesn't tell us very much.

Edit - And what training do you have, for that matter?
    Last edited by Eudemic; 1/09/2009 5:54am at .

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 5:55am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to charge taller opponents. I wanna get inside their effective striking distance.

But then I am a bull in a china shop.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 6:48am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch my competition footage. I'm the little guy.

I'm also 5'8" and weighed 152 in that fight. I was fighting a guy who was 6'2" and 162. Don't stay in his pocket, like I did. Of course, it sounds like you're fighting under MMA rules as opposed to MT.

Just a note: the 10 pounds that I gave up to my opponent made a pretty big difference. I'm not a great fighter, but for as many times as I punched him in the face, I couldn't really slow him down. Giving up 35 pounds to your opponent, even if you're superior in terms of skill, will be a bit of a challenge for you. Probably.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 6:56am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I tend to charge taller opponents. I wanna get inside their effective striking distance.

But then I am a bull in a china shop.
    Agreed, but really what choice do shorter opponents have? Stay outside and get hammered while not being able to reach your target or move in close?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy LOLidays
    Agreed, but really what choice do shorter opponents have? Stay outside and get hammered while not being able to reach your target or move in close?
    This had me thinking the other day that isn't having classes divided weight abit arbitrary? Why not heightt? Or reach?

I suppose weight=mass, but doesn't the system as it stands make it difficult for stocky fighters?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 8:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by redazncommieDXP
    I'll mostly try to parry his punches from outside and counterpunch him.
    You will have a hard time staying on the outside and counterpunching a taller fighter, as 90% of the time, they have a longer reach and can control the action.

If you are going to stay on the outside, your kicks strategy will work, until he starts kicking back, then as before, reach will come into play.

Your best bet, as everyone has said so far is get on the inside.

And hook the ribs.

Then get out.

Endlessly.

Until his hands start dropping.

Then double up on the hooks, one to the ribs, and one to the head. Then try doubling up on your left hooks and combo it into a right uppercut.

When you can see him getting tired (his hands keep coming down) go for the throw.

Once he is down, height isn't a factor.

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 8:58am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'8", and for whatever reason, I've got more than my share of taller than 6' students - out-massed, out-reached, out-heighted... good thing I'm better looking than them.

Anyway, staying on the outside doesn't work, because they're quite happy to pick you off at distance. Just accept that you will have to pay Range Tax, get in and stay in.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 9:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the guy is untrained, we're looking at an asskicking waiting to happen here, that is if the taller opponent isnt a complete tool.

videos please so we can post fight analyse it.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 9:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to Snake.

Especially on the alternate hooks to head and body.

I'm 5'6" (5'7" when the tide's in) and it took me a lot of ass-kickings to learn what Snake posted.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast