Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 3:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

National Karate Academies

I recently saw this guy (http://www.zendoryu.com.au/founder.htm) in a demonstration and thought some of what he said made sense and I was going to check out one of his classes. Before I do does anyone know anything about the club - ttp://www.nationalkarate.com.au/

After spending a few weeks lurking on here I am starting to think some of the things that he said and that I saw were bullshido. He talks a lot about self defence on the street and how most martial arts teach techniques that don't work in a real situation to make this point he demonstrated how body punches don't work with punches to one of his senior instructor’s stomach. He then did demos, ripping ears, poking eyes, groin strikes, throat strikes etc. On the day that seemed to make a lot of sense and looked really impressive but now that I think about it all his demonstrations were mostly with a compliant opponents (his students) and those that weren't, were with the weaker students in the class (lower grades/women). Also after having some time to think about it I realised that, from personal experience, a good liver shoot will definitely put someone down (and hurt like hell).

I also couldn’t find anything on the net about his main instructor, a Kancho Bill Fenton but a Kyoshi Gary MacRae seems to have graded him to a 5th Dan black belt in Kin Bushi Ryu Karate after “a few years’’. He is currently an 8th Dan, but I’m not sure what in. He also states that he holds black belts in nine different systems.

He has a background in security/door work and has also taught self defence at the local Police Academy so I would expect he has had a few opportunities to try out what works and what doesn’t. He clearly knows a lot of locks, submissions and throws but these again were with a compliant opponent. It was a demo so it might not have been suitable to have two guys going at it??

I noticed that they have an awful lot of schools, although they have been around since 1994 which probably explains this.

I don’t want to miss an opportunity as I was impressed with the passion his students had and would like to train with them but I am now sceptical. If anyone has trained with them in the past or knows anything about them I would be grateful for any info you have as I have spent time training in the past only to find out it most of it was a big fat waste of time.
  2. AikidoBot

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 3:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So JonT, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 5:56am

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you kinda got it. its not bullshido its a macdojo. avoid it

and welcome to bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 6:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jon T,

I am a current student of NKA before posting stuff like this on the net you may want to get your facts right, maybe you should have spent a bit of time on the website and done some more research, NKA started in 1993 Professor Steve has trained for over 41 years has over 1500 students and instructors that have been with him for over 20 years, he was never a secruity door sales man he worked in the security industry, he has travelled the world with Martial Arts and has trained with some of the best Martial Artists in the world, and if you thinks his tecniques dont work ask some of his students, and maybe come join and find out for yourself.. They have 30 dojo across Adelaide so i am sure there will be one near you, i dont believe Professor would be so suceesful if he didnt know what he was talking about..

Kancho Bill Fenton was taught by Moss Hollis one of the pioneers of Judo and Karate in South Australia, sadly he passed away 4 years ago, so you may not find much out about him but the NKA members website has a page full of information about him, unfortuantly you will not be able to access that unless you join.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 6:36am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the website:

http://www.nationalkarate.com.au

"Having trained in the martial arts for over forty years, Professor Miranda was graded to 8th degree blackbelt on August 2, 2008 by the Australian Martial Arts Association"

Seems the man was promoted to 8th Dan by an association whose members are from various clubs:

http://www.amaa.org.au

How legit is that?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 6:58am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On only his third night of training Steve Miranda was told by his new instructor that he was "going for blackbelt in three months"

You’re a modern day “Professor Jigoro Kano”.

warded Honorary memberships with several organisations as a mark of respect

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack M View Post
    Hi Jon T,

I am a current student of NKA before posting stuff like this on the net you may want to get your facts right, maybe you should have spent a bit of time on the website and done some more research, NKA started in 1993 Professor Steve has trained for over 41 years has over 1500 students and instructors that have been with him for over 20 years, he was never a secruity door sales man he worked in the security industry, he has travelled the world with Martial Arts and has trained with some of the best Martial Artists in the world, and if you thinks his tecniques dont work ask some of his students, and maybe come join and find out for yourself.. They have 30 dojo across Adelaide so i am sure there will be one near you, i dont believe Professor would be so suceesful if he didnt know what he was talking about..

Kancho Bill Fenton was taught by Moss Hollis one of the pioneers of Judo and Karate in South Australia, sadly he passed away 4 years ago, so you may not find much out about him but the NKA members website has a page full of information about him, unfortuantly you will not be able to access that unless you join.

Yeah, yeah. So do you guys do live sparring? Do you compete in anything other than Kata competitions? Where can I see that information?

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    I recently saw this guy (http://www.zendoryu.com.au/founder.htm) in a demonstration and thought some of what he said made sense and I was going to check out one of his classes. Before I do does anyone know anything about the club - ttp://www.nationalkarate.com.au/

After spending a few weeks lurking on here I am starting to think some of the things that he said and that I saw were bullshido. He talks a lot about self defence on the street and how most martial arts teach techniques that don't work in a real situation to make this point he demonstrated how body punches don't work with punches to one of his senior instructor’s stomach. He then did demos, ripping ears, poking eyes, groin strikes, throat strikes etc. On the day that seemed to make a lot of sense and looked really impressive but now that I think about it all his demonstrations were mostly with a compliant opponents (his students) and those that weren't, were with the weaker students in the class (lower grades/women). Also after having some time to think about it I realised that, from personal experience, a good liver shoot will definitely put someone down (and hurt like hell).

I also couldn’t find anything on the net about his main instructor, a Kancho Bill Fenton but a Kyoshi Gary MacRae seems to have graded him to a 5th Dan black belt in Kin Bushi Ryu Karate after “a few years’’. He is currently an 8th Dan, but I’m not sure what in. He also states that he holds black belts in nine different systems.

He has a background in security/door work and has also taught self defence at the local Police Academy so I would expect he has had a few opportunities to try out what works and what doesn’t. He clearly knows a lot of locks, submissions and throws but these again were with a compliant opponent. It was a demo so it might not have been suitable to have two guys going at it??

I noticed that they have an awful lot of schools, although they have been around since 1994 which probably explains this.

I don’t want to miss an opportunity as I was impressed with the passion his students had and would like to train with them but I am now sceptical. If anyone has trained with them in the past or knows anything about them I would be grateful for any info you have as I have spent time training in the past only to find out it most of it was a big fat waste of time.
    Guys,
    I have known Steve from Zen Do Ryu for many years, we did Taekwondo together, we were still at school back then. Steve was always the best at every rank grading he trained hard and was a good honest guy. Steve came from Judo and he had been studing Judo forever with Bill. He moved on and did kung fu, freestyle martial arts etc, I stayed with Taekwondo and did MMA later. We lost contact for many years as I joined the police force. I have done a few seminars with Steve over the last few years and trust me he is a fantastic martial artist and an in inspirational teacher. Very successful talented man.What you say is a joke his techniques are real he doesn't need compliant opponents, and trust me he doesn't, so said you make comments of a person you don't know. He would just laugh and say, it takes all kinds to make up this world it doesn't matter mate. If you ever get the chance to do a seminar with him you will learn great stuff. I am a police officer and he has helped me personally and my colleagues, we get home safely to our familes because of him, his teaching stays with you for life. Remember most of his instructors have been with him forever and he has alot of big boys 6 foot 6 plus.His techniques I use daily and they work on the street for the police. Steve is succesful because the style he teaches is experience from all the martial arts from when he was a kid and a he is great motivator. Steve doesn't knock styles as he said to us at a seminar, martial arts of today was developed from martial arts from the past, learn from them, he loves the traditional styles for disapline and MMA for practical application, but as he said to me what about the small female officer and a big druken man is going to take her head off. He will remind you there is black belt street fighters as well, "that have never done martial arts", and the conditioned rugby player, that can fight too. He also said horses for horses and a punch from a small women in the kidneys of a strong man will not drop him. Look at MMA how much the human body can take if conditioned. Steve, Nino Pilla and Vince Palumbo in South Australia are all good martial arts instructors who I respect and have helped me.

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,
    I have known Steve for many years we did Taekwondo together when we were kids, he is a fantastic martial artist, and was always top of the class. I stayed with Taekwondo and Steve moved on and did kung fu, jujitsu, freestyle karate, Steve loved his Judo as he has always done it. He is motovator, teacher and leader. His techniques work believe me he is one of the best around. I attended a seminar with him he was teaching the new officers, he loves all styles, he said to me the styles of the past is what makes us today. I am a law inforcement officer and he has help me get home safley to our families, he is right, you try and punch a strong man in the kidney and you are a small women it won't drop him. If your a big guy and punch a small guy in the kidney yes it may work if you have the power. Steve's guys that he trains a big and can take it. Horses for courses guys, don't judge a good martial artist and a good man you don't even know, a very respected man that knows his art and could teach you a lot. He has a big following and he is real. He would just say, well they are the losers not me, I have an open mind, they say they do, do they really. I sat down with him when we had a break, I am not one of his students and I asked what he thought of the BJJ and MMA, he said they are all good, the application is real its the next generation in Australia. I asked him about traditional styles and his response was you can't beat the discipline from the traditional instructors, all styles have something to offer.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 4:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, sweet.

So they do alive training with non-compliant participants, then?

That's sort of a prerequisite to be the "real deal."

Anything short of that won't really wash here.

Welcome to the forums.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast