Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 6:45pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

build your own shock knife?

For those who don't know a shock knife is a simulated knife w/ a current running along the cutting edge of the knife, they are commercially available for around $200. A shock knife seems like the closest way to simulate a real knife. Not only does it make it obvious when someone is "cut." The fear of being shocked seems like it would emulate the fear of being cut in a real situation. I know many people use wood or other fake knive w/ paint/chalk/lipstick on the cutting edge but this weapon itself doesn't give any fear of being "cut".
    Like most small electronics the circuit should be relatively simple and easy to make yourself. Has anyone else tried to make their own? I've seen a homemade one on youtube but the video didn't show how it was made.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 7:40pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made one. It was weak though. It wouldn't shock through cloths for anything.

I bought a stun gun, and took it apart. Took out the guts, some kind of electronic box of magic. Disconected the electrodes.

Got a peice of pvc, and stuck it in the oven till it got soft. Smashed one end near flat. Let it cool.

Sawed down one side of the pvc, the "blade" side. Took two peices of 14ga copper wire, and pounded them flat. Super gluded them to each side of the cut I made in the pvc.

Soderd the electrode wires from the stungun to the copper peices. Drilled a hole in the "handle" of the pvc "knife" and ran the stunguns on off switch through it.

Shoved the guts inside of the "handle", along with a 9 volt battery. Duct taped it shut, and there you have it. Cost me like 20 bucks...It's worth about 15.

I haven't experienced the real shock knife, but I've heard from a dog brother friend of mine, who comteted with one that they are not very powerful. But that's all heresay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 8:43pm

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could just use a marker?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 11:00pm

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Step 1: Get some of those fat sidewalk chalk sticks.
    Step 2: Spend the $195 you saved on something useful.

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about doing the same thing as- ChristopherHein and taking apart a stungun. But Doesn't a stungun have two contact separate prongs as contact pionts that pass current throught the "attacker "? How Does this work w/ your homemade knife design? I've also heard about using devices similiar to an electric fence that are capable of making a surface "hot" that shocks when touched.

To respond to Sealknife no you couldn't just use a marker. As a marker would only simulate a stab from a knife, very poorly and the tip would be squished after one strike, this also leaves out cuts. The main advantage of a shock knife as I see it is the fear of pain from getting "cut". This also seemingly would improve technique causing the knife wielder/defender to be aware of any light contact that may occur unknowingly w/ the blade of a mock knife.

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah chalk and a mock blade are probably the most economical way to go. But if you can build your own shock knife for cheap it may have more of a training benefit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2009 11:35pm

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe....

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Countdown to serious injury in 5... 4... 3...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 2:16am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wouldn't you just use a stun gun without turning it into fake knife? I've used a cheap one, they don't hurt much. I think using a permanent marker and wearing a really expensive suit would be more realistic.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    1/08/2009 2:27am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WARNING: JOKE

Can't you build a quick shock knife by immersing one of those electric cooking knives in water?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast