Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 5:16pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    This is not proper running form. Everything else you posted, I agree with. Heel impact is bad for you. Amateur runners do this a lot as a result of stretching their strides to an unreasonable degree, and it's bad for your knees. You actually want to land with your feet as directly underneath you as possible, which results in what is referred to as a midfoot stride. This is the stride career long distance runners use, and they do not develop leg injuries at a rate signficantly different than non runners. Sprinters run with shorter, choppier strides, but they are still usually midfoot strides, as that's the most efficient way of doing things, and the safest.
    Strange, my dad always taught me to roll. Its not really an impact, thats why you roll it like I mentioned. My dad was a cross country runner and a district champion when he was younger and that's the way he learned and taught me. I've never heard of it being dangerous, rather the opposite: that landing on any other part of the foot is not good for your ankles and causes a greater impact on your foot.

Who did you learn that from? I think I'll try both back and forth next time I hit the street and see what's more comfortable. It might just be a differing in opinion, but you might be right and my method might be outdated. I'd like to try it out. :)
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 6:38pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The mid foot stride is the stride that almost all serious long distance runners use. There are generally three or four articles published about it in the major running magazines a year. On top of that, every cross country runner I know from high school and college uses this stride. Every single amateur marathon runner I know uses it.

Finally, I'm not exactly a slouch when it comes to running (feel free to read my training log, specifically the last two or three pages of it), and I have to be able to ruck large amounts of weight for a long period of time at a fast pace, have a strong upper body, and still be agile. Oh, and did I mention that I currently weigh 224 lbs? I can't afford not to run with the healthiest, most efficient stride possible. I swear to you, once you get used to running this way, you will never run heel-toe again.

Not to be a dick, but how old are you? More specifically, how old is your dad? The heel toe thing has been out for a long time.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 7:22pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hardly ever run, but when I do it's always my legs that get tired. First the muscles below the knee, and then the ones above it. It gets to the point where I can barely lift my toes and I'm stumbling over my own feet, but my cardio is still fine. I really need to run more.

Also, I thought heel-toe was the proper way to run. Good to know that's not the case, because it doesn't feel natural at all to me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 6:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know exactly what pain you are talking about I run almost everday and still get it sometimes. I've been told it's from diffrent things by diffrent people, but what i have discovered and this may not be the way to go about it ... but in my personal experience when i get that I ease up a little and as my heart rate rises the pain starts to ease up for me and eventually is gone.

Weak

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 8:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cassius - wow, for once I agree with you. Mid foot stride all the way, I ran cross-country for years and still do distance running and it works for me and I find it a very relaxing, efficient method. For HIIT and short distance sprints, its front foot (ball of the foot) all the way.

I really don't experience fatigue from running though funnily enough an old right shoulder injury tends to kick in after an hour or so of running. Obviously that just plays on my mental focus but does not 'tire' me.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123