Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 9:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do Ringworm?

I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. THIS IS SIMPLY A SUMMARY OF WHAT I AM DOING TO TREAT RINGWORM AND WHAT MY RESEARCH HAS UNCOVERED ABOUT THE CONDITION. IF YOU HAVE RINGWORM SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

The good, the bad, and the ugly of grappling arts. Ringworm falls somewhere between bad and ugly...its definitely not good.

I had heard about it, but I had no idea what it was, only that it lived on the mats and could be transferred from person to person.

Given my lack of knowledge on the subject I figured I would share with the bullies here what I learned while treating (and still treating) mine.

First, ringworm is NOT a worm. Don't laugh, I thought it was. Ringworm is a fungus that is similar to athlete's foot and jock itch. It was originally called "ringworm" due to the red raised circular pattern that surrounds the infected area. Most worm caused infections show a similar raised red area where the worm is traveling under the skin. Here it appeared that the worm was simply traveling in a circle hence the name "ringworm". However, it was more thoroughly diagnosed in the late 19th century as bring a fungal skin infection and not an actual worm; although the name stuck. Here's what it looks like...

and a close up...

These pics were taken tonight. My ringworm, I call him Bob, is approximately two weeks old and now one full week into treatment.

It started out looking similar to a bruise or skin irritation about the size of a dime. Mine did not start to itch until about four days after I noticed it. At that point it was still just a skin irritation and I wasn't worried about it thinking it was a bruise. Last Monday morning I notice that its had grown to about the size of a quarter and was not distinctly white in the middle with a red ring around the outside of it.

Googled it the same morning; found ringworm pics; went to the doc the same day. The doc prescribed this for me to rub in to the area three times per day until it is gone...

Further research disclosed that ringworm is a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS fungus. You cannot simply put a dressing over it and go roll. The sweat from rolling actually cultivates and will not only spread the infection on your body but will spread it to whoever you roll with.

The first thing you do is call your school and tell your instructor so that he/she can properly treat all of the mats in the school to kill any residual spores that are on the mat. So long as your not a dirty ************ you more than likely contracted the fungus from the mats. If your instructor is good he/she will tell the rest of the class about it and that they should make sure they look themselves over to make sure they do not have any traces of the infection before rolling. If anyone is infected they should not roll.

Thus, I have not been to class in over a week; and I will not return to class until this crap is gone.

After about three days of applying the creme I did not notice any difference and in fact noticed that the damn thing was spreading. At first I was just applying the creme on the direct area of the infection. When I noticed it spreading I started to apply the creme all around the area. Since doing that the size of the infection has remained the same since last Friday (three days ago).

After about the fourth day and seeing no change I research home remedies on the internet. I had heard guys in the past talk about putting bleach on ringworm to get rid of it so I looked into it.

There are a few different home and over-the-counter remedies out there and the most effective appear to be Lamisil, Selson Blue, and/or Bleach. You will also see treatments with nail polish remover, papaya juice extract, tea tree oil, iodine, etc...I am currently using the prescription pictured above 2-3 times per day plus bleach 2 times per day. Once my prescription runs out I will probably move to the Lamisil (see the remedy posted here http://www.metrowrestling.org/ringworm.html).

For bleach make sure it is the following bleach with the following ingredients...

Further, apply the bleach just on the infected area and use a 6 to 1 (6 parts water to 1 part bleach) ratio to minimize any burning. Also, applying bleach, even at this diluted ratio to an open sore will sting like a ************ so I would not do that. Lastly, avoid having the bleach drip on to your cloths or furniture.

You also need to make sure that you keep your dirty cloths separate from everyone else's until the infection has been taken care of. Do not share towels with you wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, children or mother. It is also recommended that you change your bed sheets every two days until the infection is gone.

Some sites report that ringworm stops being contagious after 48 hours of treatment. HOWEVER, the vast majority of writing indicates that the infection is contagious as long as the sore is apparent on the skin.

Hope this is of assistance to some. I will update/edit this post as my treatment continues.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 2/25/2007 1:31pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried Lotrimin? That got rid of it for me pretty fast.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not yet because I am finishing up the prescription stuff my doc gave me. However, I have read a lot of good things with the Lotrimin so once the prescription creme runs out ill give it a try.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, Bleach? Yikes. Thought of Vinegar?

Also, Nystatin is kinda weak. Look for Zinc ointment. High percentage, like %15.

I've never dealt with ringworm though. ugh, my condolences dude. yuck.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, sorry to hear you got Bob. Good post on the medicines you are using.

Btw, Bob looks like a nipple from one of those triple D strippers I used to get a lap dance for $20 in Hialeah :tongue3:

Anyways, and this is not for anyone to try, but back in Nicaragua, the common folk's remedy for ringworm is to apply gasoline with a gause or ball of cotton. Yep, gasoline (gas or kerosene will do, too.)

But I gather than lotrimin or any one of those modern, anti-fungal creams will do. If you still have that, you'll need to wear an space suit for the TD :tongue3:

-- ED --

[sadism]You can always cut it and stir fry it in a wok[/sadism]
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/12/2007 10:53pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:58pm

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yikes, thanks for the info.

Is it possible to get it from other excercise equipment besides mats? I'm not training at this time, but I am hitting the gym 5-6 days a week... I'd hate to get that on my back from doing bench presses, etc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kobudo
    Is it possible to get it from other excercise equipment besides mats? I'm not training at this time, but I am hitting the gym 5-6 days a week... I'd hate to get that on my back from doing bench presses, etc.
    Yes. That is the main reason why you should clean/wipe off the machines between uses. Don't know how common it is in the regular gyms but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    But I gather than lotrimin or any one of those modern, anti-fungal creams will do. If you still have that, you'll need to wear an space suit for the TD
    If I still have it on the 24th I'll just be a fucking spectator at the TD. That will royally piss me off.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is always possible, but most decent gyms tend to clean their benches several times a day... or so we hope.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:25pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried ...what's it called...Phisohex?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:46pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lamisil (terbinafine) cream is a fungiside. 1 week cure rate. As with any topical fungal infection, apply the fungicide up to two weeks even after the lesion has dissapear to prevent relaspe. For people who grapple regularly, I suggest a once a week application to the whole body with Nizoral (Ketoconazole) or Selsun (Selenium sulphide 1%) to prevent infection.

GMW
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast