Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Saw this on the news this morning and thought it might interested some of you: http://www.armyfit.mod.uk/

According to the news story this is a 14 week plan launched by the army aimed at office workers and so on to get them fit enough to join the TA.
    If you live near one of these classes:-

http://www.britmilfit.com/

It's cheaper than joining a gym. Apparently people who have volunteered for the reserves get a discount and some extra yelling to help them get up to military standards.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 10:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing/MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    This is the first thing that came to mind;

**** you. You know how many fat marines there are? Are you even in the service? I'm sure you will try and say you are even if your not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 10:03am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha, looks like a hit a nerve.

Yes, I was in the USMC from 1990-late 1995. My primary MOS was 0351 (anti-tank assaultman) and I did that gig for a few years, then I got a B-billet for Embassy Duty. I was a consistant 300 PFT dude until I got stationed in India. After living in that place for a while, nobody can run 3 miles in under 18-minutes just due to severe air pollution.

The other fat dudes I saw while at an Army school were the RI's at Camp Merrill. I think they probably mainstreamed blueberry pancakes. I think they were probably sadistic enough to be deliberately fat just to spite the students. I know I thought about slicing one open like a TonTon just to stay warm...

There are a few fat Marines. Who said there were none? I knew one guy who was on weight control constantly because he was a fat tub of goo (but in his defence, he wasn't quite as rotund as the Army guy in that picture!). Anyway, at Pickle Meadows (the USMC mountain warfare training center) he got rotated on to chow hall duty. The idiot gained 12 pounds in one week!!! After that, he was on permanent "**** burning" detail. When we got back to Camp Pendleton, he was discharged from the service. They took his uniforms, and dropped his fat ass off at the gate.

Have you ever seen a Navy Chief? I think the prerequisite for the rank is to be 50-pounds overweight...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 11:17am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite Colby's excellently comprehensive and even-tempered answer, isn't the joke that "at least we have Marines", ie, "thank God the Marines are in good shape in case the sh*t goes down."

It's a compliment, not an insult. Right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as long as there are fat people and as long as there is a military , there are going to be fat people joining the military. If yo are extremlely over weight most likely you aren't going to drop to the poster Marine or Soilder unless you put extreme effort into it. I don't think that picture was meant to insult anyone ..at the bottom it said just the first thing that came to mind. Anyway my point is , it was a joke, and shouldn't be a big deal . I'm sure he did'nt mean to disrepect anyone.

As far as the topic the OP posted. I think it's good the military is trying to get people off their asses and exercise. Not to long ago they did the S.E.A.L. challenge in various cities , over here in the states. It had great turn outs. I think it was like maybe the 2nd or 3rd annaul event. But if you look at the photo's on the site all shapes and sizes of people turned up, and the main goal was to give people a goal to train for, and to actually keep training to try to beat your times the next time. I think average people don't exercise cause they really don't feel like they have a reason too. I'm guessing most people here have always had some goal or reason to train. Not everyone does. Here's the SEAL Challenge site link though http://sealfitnesschallenge.com/index.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12