Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:28pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A comparison between Judo and TKD

TKD seems to me to take a lot more **** then it deserves by most people around here. I am looking at the Olympic style TKD here, which I have never done, and comparing it to Judo, which I have also never done. If I have made mistakes feel free to point them out with resonable flaming.

This is very important, I am in no way trying to discredit Judo, in fact when I go to college next year and look for a place to train Judo is one of the top styles I will look for.

The way I see it, TKD is not that unlike Judo. Both are very sport based arts that compete in restrictive rule sets. TKD obviously has a lot of Mcdojoism and other problems, but I want to look at the serious Olympic style competitors. You can find endless shots of people being nocked out in these matches, which to me shows that there technique for kicking is reasonably powerful and effective. (I mean, they don't have to watch for much else but a kick and yet they still work, though why you never see anyone cover there head with there hands confuses me). And there are a decent amount of videos of these kicks being used in far less restrictive rulesets, with and without success. Not all of there techniques can carry over, but some do.

It doesn't seem that far off from Judo, which is also very sport based. Obviously many of the throws and takedowns are very effective, and you seem some techniques used in less restrictive rulesets. Still, not everything can be applied elsewhere. I would imagine a pure Judo guy would fare about as well as a pure TKD guy outside their sport. Which is just fine, but Judo gets plenty of respect while TKD gets beat around like a red headed step-child on these forums.

Does TKD take the **** mostly because of the McDojoism? It seems to me that would be an issue of bad instructors, and you would evaluate the style itself based on the top level competitors. What say you, bullshido?

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:30pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just gonna step in here and say you could have chosen a much better title for your thread. Have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:32pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
    I would imagine a pure Judo guy would fare about as well as a pure TKD guy outside their sport.
    I think the vast majority of people on this site will strongly disagree with this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:37pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    I think the vast majority of people on this site will strongly disagree with this.
    Again, looking at real competitors, not 7 year old black belts. They could still be right, just making myself clear.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD takes a lot of flack due to kata, hands down, no punching to the face, tippy/tappy contact, etc.

Judo is against a fully resisting opponent, often at your same skill level or above and also toned down to help prevent injury.

It is a matter of the school, instructor and the practicioner.

You can find good and bad dojos/dojangs.

Overall, TKD has been watered down, much politics and a lot of money for classes and testing compared with judo (speaking in generalizations here folks).

Yeah - TKD has good kicks, if you take away all of the flying for demo only, as nobody needs to be kicked off of a horse anymore.

Some TKD people have good hands. Sadly, in the sport venue, this is often not the case.

I still use the striking of TKD/TSD/HKD, but wish I had back all of the years spent on kata and unrealistic one/three steps against compliant partners. These could have better been spent in judo.

/rant

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come down to Gladiators in Lafayette and we an show you the difference between the 2 .

I can honestly and without a doubt tell you that the two are vastly different when it comes to application outside of the sport. I have BB in both and its apples and oranges when it comes to the technical and tactical application of the 2.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
    Again, looking at real competitors, not 7 year old black belts. They could still be right, just making myself clear.
    There are no seven year old black belts in Judo.

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think TKD gets less hate for being outright crap as it does for rampant McDojoism. Most people can at least admit the high level TKD competitors are highly skilled athletes, even if the ruleset doesn't resemble real combat very well. So if TKD is all about incredible displays of kickery, where did all these out of shape black belts who can't kick above knee level come from?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sense a great disturbance in the Force........

....and many great things from this thread.

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:47pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    There are no seven year old black belts in Judo.
    Pure win, I'd say.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast