224893 Bullies, 3650 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Deadlifted wrong by having the bar too far away from my legs.

Luckily i wasn't lifting heavily but the muscle strain lasted weeks
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesTC
    Oh, alright.

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to enjoy attempting to build muscle! :D I just hope I am doing it right!
    One way to find out is by reading the proper material. Starting Strength for example. Check also the articles in t-nation as they are usually of good quality when it comes to build size.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    Depends what you want to do. For bodybuilding it's a very good thing. Bodybuilders love the pump, the burn, and the high you get from going to failure. For strength training...

Really, I wouldn't even say that training to failure is a very good thing for bodybuilding, at least for a natural trainee. It can have some applications, but for those without chemical assistance, you're not going to want to go to failure very often.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How applicable would training to failure be if you were working on endurance?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally training to failure for any aspect is not a good thing. Training to failure means you train until you fail at a movement. For your CNS, this isn't a good thing to reinforce in your motor pattern. It also tends to fry out your body, and can lead to overtraining faster.

That being said, I don't like weight training for endurance compared to SPP that is meant specifically to improve your endurance and ability at a given activity. Training boxing to get better at boxing, and running to get better at running.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that mate, very interesting.

One thing though, what does SPP stand for? Specific something?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GPP is General Physical Preparedness so SPP is Specific Physical Prepardeness, or something like that. The Air Force gives me too many acronyms to remember.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so, as you mentioned above, SPP is basically:

To improve endurance for grappling do grappling etc?

That makes perfect sense

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's my take on things, at least for a non-professional athlete. Most people are gassing out not just as a result of "bad cardio" or even weaker muscle endurance, but also as a result of wasted movement because they haven't developed their technique to be as efficient as possible. I figure that, but taking the time to train exactly what it is they want to do, they will both improve technique AND improve their cardio and involved muscles at the specific activity they want to get better at. So, if you want to box for longer, box for longer when you train. Spend more time hitting the bags, gloves, and sparring.

For some reason, people treat combat sports different than any other sport when it comes to conditioning, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How come, when swimmers want to get better at swimming, they swim more, but when a fighter wants to get better at fighting, they swim and run and do all sorts of other stuff during the time they could spend training? I mean, would you tell a swimmer to box to get better at swimming?

Now, once you reach a level wherein you've already developed your technique to a point that it is as maximally efficient as possible before getting into the territory of diminishing returns, cross training becomes a viable option. You look at professionals like Fedor and such, and cross training is a heavy element to his conditioning, in that he runs along with training for his combat sport. However, it would be folly for a beginner to emulate the training style of a professional without being on their level.

This is just my take on things though. There's lots of literature that supports and goes against my views, and it's ultimately up to you to decide what it is you want to do.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 5:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always preached that to get better at something (I.E. MA) you need to do it more. A perfect example is people wanting to know the best stretching routines to improve their kicking when they should just be kicking more.

But to suggest that to improve one's endurance within a sport, one should simply take part in that sport more is something i've never even considered.

Thanks for that, something to think on :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast