Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 8:24pm

Style: None Yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need some educating on "Fitness Terminology"

Bullshido Gods smite me where I stand if this has been posted before;

I need some help on some general terminology in the world of fitness - primarily in the weight lifting area. I have one specific question that I will ask by explaining the situation.

I am doing the bench press and I begin to get very worn out, as I am driving up it feels like I am pushing as hard as I can but instead of driving the weights up like it once was, it is now only enough to keep the weights from falling back down on my chest (I had an experience spotter with me so the safety of the workout was not a concern).

Is that what is being referred to when people talk about pushing past Muscle Fatigue? If not, is there a specific term for that situation?

I have just recently began weight training with a friend of mine - whom I forgot to ask so I am trusting that you fine folks will be able to help me out. (Granted I wouldn't have to be concerned with getting flamed if I asked the friend of mine, but oh wells!)

Thanks,
    Charles

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's commonly know as muscle failure. I think fatigue describes something else or they could be interchangable.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's failure. Pushing past muscle fatigue I imagine would be the notion of doing something even when exhausted. Failure is the sign that it takes more than effort to complete the lift, and no degree of effort will accomplish the repitition.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that a bad thing to have happen?

Or is that just a sign that I have reached my limit until I build my muscle up more?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 1:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends what you want to do. For bodybuilding it's a very good thing. Bodybuilders love the pump, the burn, and the high you get from going to failure. For strength training...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 2:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    Depends what you want to do. For bodybuilding it's a very good thing. Bodybuilders love the pump, the burn, and the high you get from going to failure. For strength training...
    For strength training...?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... it is usually not a good idea.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, alright.

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to enjoy attempting to build muscle! :D I just hope I am doing it right!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read up on it and even enlist the help of professionals.

The last thing you want to do is lift wrong and **** yourself up.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Read up on it and even enlist the help of professionals.

The last thing you want to do is lift wrong and **** yourself up.
    Agreed, I am most paranoid about lifs like the Deadlift or Squats, basically anything that requires my back to be in very good posture.

I know I can do it, but I pretty much need someone there with me when I do it(at least for now) to keep my posture in check if/when I start to deviate from that posture.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast