Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    I just put in my gi order (one gi, two pairs of pants - my current gi pants have a great big hole in the crotch as of Monday). I think I'm getting one of these in size 4.5 and two pairs of these in size 4.0 (I'd better make sure I don't chub up again...), along with a yellow belt that actually fits me.

Hopefully it all arrives in time for the tournament, and preferably in time for my mother or myself to shrink it before use.

---

I was thinking of starting a new thread for this, but since we're already in Gitmo... I have two questions about submissions in specific situations.

1) I get an overhand grip. Without breaking it, my opponent goes for some sort of throw. I manage to avoid getting thrown. He's in turtle and I'm behind and to the right. My right hand is still gripping his left lapel, arm running in front of his body, usually under his right armpit. It feels like there's a take-the-back-and-choke just waiting to happen there - is there, and if so, what is it?

2) I have my opponent in side control with my right shoulder towards his head. I catch his right arm and pin it to the mat "above" his shoulder with my right arm. Is there a decent submission I can go for here, if only to serve as a credible threat to distract them from breaking the hold down?

OK, basics... you should have a Coach in the chair for part of this, but do the best you can.

Your plan: Offense

1. Get one hand on, then move.
    2. Get your second hand on and attack.

Your plan: Defense

1. If they get one hand on you attack. Don't care if its a good or bad attack, do not let them get their second hand on if you can.

I will assume you have a double leg, or a shot. In the course of the match there will be several restarts (we hope). Do NOT shoot until the 3 restart. Once they are used to you playing like a good Judoka, they will not be looking for the pickup.

Ground Game: Attacking the Turtle

IF you are a head in points, go after it. If you are behind in points, DO NOT go after it.

Turning the turtle over for the pin will almost always open up the arm lock or choke.

POSITION BEFORE SUBMISSION! We define position as a pin that is scoring. You want them to worry about the pin clock as you are looking for a choke or arm lock. DO NOT give up the pin unless you know you will get the submission or you are losing the pin. Example: you have the mount (Tate Shiho Gatame), don't go for the cross body armlock (it stops the pin clock) unless you are positive you will get it (I'd still ream you about it), or you are losing the pin and the transition is there.

Hope that helps.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    Your plan: Offense

1. Get one hand on, then move.
    2. Get your second hand on and attack.
    Makes sense. I've been going for control of their "power hand" sleeve, and once I get that, taking the overhand grip.

Your plan: Defense

1. If they get one hand on you attack. Don't care if its a good or bad attack, do not let them get their second hand on if you can.
    Okay... any particular attack or type of attack?

I will assume you have a double leg, or a shot. In the course of the match there will be several restarts (we hope). Do NOT shoot until the 3 restart. Once they are used to you playing like a good Judoka, they will not be looking for the pickup.
    Does te guruma count? We've been drilling that one lots.

Ground Game: Attacking the Turtle

IF you are a head in points, go after it. If you are behind in points, DO NOT go after it.

Turning the turtle over for the pin will almost always open up the arm lock or choke.

POSITION BEFORE SUBMISSION! We define position as a pin that is scoring. You want them to worry about the pin clock as you are looking for a choke or arm lock. DO NOT give up the pin unless you know you will get the submission or you are losing the pin. Example: you have the mount (Tate Shiho Gatame), don't go for the cross body armlock (it stops the pin clock) unless you are positive you will get it (I'd still ream you about it), or you are losing the pin and the transition is there.

Hope that helps.
    Noted. Related question: if I'm in side control and start working on ude garame, does that stop the pin clock as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<Okay... any particular attack or type of attack?>>>

I usually grab the arm that's on with two hands and sweep, then pop his grip and take mine.

<<<Does te guruma count? We've been drilling that one lots.>>>

Sure

<<<if I'm in side control and start working on ude garame, does that stop the pin clock as well?>>>

No

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So apparently there was a miscommunication between myself and Toraki, and they've shipped me a top and three bottoms. It should have occurred to me earlier that "judogi" refers to the full uniform, not just the top.

I wonder if I could wear the extra pair to work and pretend they're white khakis...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 1:06am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should go to another (near-by if possible) club and do some randori against some people you don't train with on a regular basis. Back in college my coach used to take us to a couple of clubs around the Denver area before tournaments to do just this. It was good to be thrown into unfamiliar territory.

Another good drill is the offense/defense drill. Basically one person is on the mat playing defense (can't attack with a throw) and everybody else takes 30 second turns trying to throw him. Switch when you've defended against everybody.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 1:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    You should go to another (near-by if possible) club and do some randori against some people you don't train with on a regular basis. Back in college my coach used to take us to a couple of clubs around the Denver area before tournaments to do just this. It was good to be thrown into unfamiliar territory.
    I wish I had enough time left to do this. Perhaps before the next tournament.

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 1:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its very easy to overprepare. Tripp's advise is succinct and might seem simple but you could spend a lifetime developing first grip/second grip strategies.

workng vs high level dudes you realize its not the throw but everything leading upto the throw
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 10:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Final week.

Competition starts at 10:30 AM on Saturday.
    I plan to weigh-in on Friday night.
    That leaves Judo on Monday and Wednesday. I'll try to make Wednesday a tune-up day so I'm fully recovered for the tournament.
    I have weightlifting sessions penciled in for Tuesday and Thursday, but I'm inclined to skip them (particularly Thursday's) and give some accrued injuries time to rest up.

My coach sent us an e-mail about competition strategies. I won't repost it here, but y'all did hit on a few of the same points as he did.

I'm also mulling over my carbohydrate intake over the next few days. Too high and I don't make weight, too low and I gas too quickly.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 1/18/2009 10:52pm at .

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/18/2009 10:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76

Another good drill is the offense/defense drill. Basically one person is on the mat playing defense (can't attack with a throw) and everybody else takes 30 second turns trying to throw him. Switch when you've defended against everybody.
    Pun intended?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 11:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weighed in tonight at 219.2lbs.
    New judo garments have arrived and are currently being laundered and air-dried.
    Booked tomorrow afternoon off of work.

Hopefully I'll have fun and gain experience like everyone's saying. But just between us... I'm not in it for fun or experience. I'm in it to win.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast