Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, go in irritated about all this discussion re:your weight and take it out on your opponent!

Don't worry about developing a new throw or whatever, feel confident with your sweeps. Most of Judo tourney game is avoiding penalties and ippons-which is kind of dumb but that's how it works. Be really aggressive and focus on grips and kuzushi and sweeps, the judges like that cause you'll be moving around alot and attacking your opponet's balance.

Is this your first competetion? Judo or otherwise? I think it helps alot if you don't look at anything that's going on around you, especially watching the fights before yours as it tends to get your heart racing. Sit as far away from the action as you can and stay detatched. If you have a specific gameplan, keeping your emotions in check helps you stay focused IMO
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra
    Get yourself out of the self-defeatist mindset.
    It's gallows humour.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Is this your first competetion? Judo or otherwise?
    First individual competition.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Sit as far away from the action as you can and stay detatched.
    There's a cardio theater down the hall from the wrestling room. I plan to spend my between-matches time idling on an exercise bike sipping on sports drink to stay warm, loose and hydrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 1:13pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osoto Gari, go out there, get a high collar grip with your right hand, sleeve grip with your left, crank hard to your left as you step out at roughly forty/forty five degrees and reap like your life depends on it.

the minute the Judge says hajime go for the high collar, control the head and shake them like a blessed rag doll. Once they are worried about the grip grab the sleeve and throw. Bury them if you have to. Follow through on the throw. Go down with them if that feels more comfy, land ON them, and go right into a pin.

KICK ASS!!!!!!

I lost mys second match in the PA open to this, it was so quick I diddn't even see it coming.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 1:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just put in my gi order (one gi, two pairs of pants - my current gi pants have a great big hole in the crotch as of Monday). I think I'm getting one of these in size 4.5 and two pairs of these in size 4.0 (I'd better make sure I don't chub up again...), along with a yellow belt that actually fits me.

Hopefully it all arrives in time for the tournament, and preferably in time for my mother or myself to shrink it before use.

---

I was thinking of starting a new thread for this, but since we're already in Gitmo... I have two questions about submissions in specific situations.

1) I get an overhand grip. Without breaking it, my opponent goes for some sort of throw. I manage to avoid getting thrown. He's in turtle and I'm behind and to the right. My right hand is still gripping his left lapel, arm running in front of his body, usually under his right armpit. It feels like there's a take-the-back-and-choke just waiting to happen there - is there, and if so, what is it?

2) I have my opponent in side control with my right shoulder towards his head. I catch his right arm and pin it to the mat "above" his shoulder with my right arm. Is there a decent submission I can go for here, if only to serve as a credible threat to distract them from breaking the hold down?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 2:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Hmmm its seems he is doing a makikomi and falling to the ground on his stomach and you are on his side. This seems the most likely scenerio since your a heavyweight. If your hand is still under him and his arm there is an arm bar that can be done from there.

Take his back if he is flatten out its ok if he is turtled you can attack all the same just get your hooks into him. Generally his head will be up so you want have to slide your hand on the mat to get your leg in his face.

As you pull your arm away from his lapel catch the wrist and move it into his body.

With your left hand grab the same side of YOUR own lapel and lay down bringing YOUR gi to your right hand and place your forehead on the mat.

Your right arm and his right arm should be locked at the elbow at this point with your right hand holding your left lapel.

Place your left hand on the mat and slide it under his face to raise his head up.

Swing your left leg over and then under his head.

Once under the head pull back with your left leg and roll both of you to your backs and you will be in jujigatame. Throw your right leg over now to secure te arm bar and squeeze your knees together.

We call it the post arm bar and there is a whole sequence on that technique.

Now I know the response to this will be "no go for the choke". WRONG. If you want to waste 10-15 seconds fiddle fucking with the guys gi and neck then get stood up go ahead. IF you want to win a match and put yourself in a winning position then go for the arm bar. its also a turn over and if the arm bar fails you are now on top with the guy on his back.

2. Ude garami or just ride the 25 secs. Remember pinning is not a static action. As long as you remain on top you have the pin if you have to switch from yoko to kesa to kami that's fine just stay on top with pressure.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 2:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ude garami is exactly what I was looking for for #2. I identified the part that I was screwing up (well, one of them, anyways) - I was putting my left arm under his right arm and onto his wrist, rather than holding his wrist with my right arm and my right wrist with my left arm. I suspect there are some more bugs to work out, but at least now I know what I'm trying to do.

Re: your answer to #1, I'm having trouble picturing it, but I think we've worked something resembling it in class once or twice. Do you know if it has any other names (or failing that, do you have any links to diagrams/videos)?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 2:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like we need another instructional video? All in favor say so.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 3:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aye.

Or "so".

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 4:56pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check the rules of the tournament first!!

The tournaments I've been to do NOT allow kansetsu-waza (arm locks) if you are in the novice division. Age didn't matter. Senior novices also could not perform arm locks.

So make sure you check.

My advice would be to just hold the pin.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 5:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07
    Check the rules of the tournament first!!

The tournaments I've been to do NOT allow kansetsu-waza (arm locks) if you are in the novice division. Age didn't matter. Senior novices also could not perform arm locks.

So make sure you check.

My advice would be to just hold the pin.
    I'm about 85% sure they won't ban armlocks in senior novice at this tournament (one of the other novices in my weight class is apparently a BJJ blue belt - boy, would he be pissed off), but I'll check on that before my first match.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast