Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 1:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $240? Do you know how many muffins that buys? (Or, since the tournament's in Regina, how many trips to the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant there?)

Ideally I'll be able to borrow a decent-fitting gi from someone for the tournament and get fitted for a more permanent solution while there. I'm pretty much set on Toraki now brand-wise... in a perfect world, I'd be able to get one (okay, three) entirely devoid of markings (long story).

Incidentally, for anyone hanging on every word of my progress, I weighed in tonight at 222lbs (home scale, a bit heavy), so no worries there. The rate of the cut thus far has me wondering about the next weight class down, but it's a fair jump from 220lbs to 198lbs. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen,

I understand that the tournament is in "Vagina", and I sympathize but you have got to get your **** together. Hell, in Canuck dollars it might be only $222 which is what you weigh so it sounds regal to spend your weight in $$.

Also, if you want to really cut weight, all you can eat sushi (i.e. bacteria-laden) sounds like an excellent plan...bring toilet paper.

Kidding aside ;-) 220 to 198 is a bit steep and I'd be VERY concerned about your energy level if you cut so much, so fast. But I know you know that stuff so I'm just sayin'
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 9:00am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    220 to 198 is not a huge cut unless you have 3% or less of body fat. You heavyweights make me laugh.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 11:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today on Crossfire...

Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    220 to 198 is a bit steep and I'd be VERY concerned about your energy level if you cut so much, so fast. But I know you know that stuff so I'm just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    220 to 198 is not a huge cut unless you have 3% or less of body fat. You heavyweights make me laugh.
    I think the question here is what exactly the cut would entail.

Things I know:
    -The time from now to weigh-in is basically fixed (fifteen days and counting)
    -I weighed in at 222lbs last night
    -There's typically a five pound spread between my night and next-morning weigh-ins

Things that I don't currently know:

There are time slots for weigh-in on both Friday night and Saturday morning. I'm not sure what this means. Either:
    1) I can weigh-in the night before, giving me about fifteen hours to recover, or
    2) I have to weigh-in the day of, giving me one or two hours to recover.

There is also the question of how quickly my body will be willing to shed fat. Either:
    a) The current rate of seven or eight pounds a week continues, allowing me to hack off another ten pounds of fat without affecting limit strength or hydration (glycogen stores may be a concern), or
    b) Now that I'm back to pre-Christmas size, I'll revert to pre-Christmas rates of fat loss (about ten pounds a month on calorie and carbohydrate restriction) - or worse.

In case 1a, Josh is right - I'd be able to lose at least half the weight in useless body fat, and then the remainder (maybe ten pounds) wouldn't be too risky to drop by some combination of intake restriction (particularly of water, salt and fiber) and sweat (I might have to take some time off of work to fit in sauna time, but that's probably doable).

In case 2b, Serge is right - I'd get down to 215 (at best) by fat loss, 210 by overnight dehydration, and then the rest has to come out of either muscle or day-of hydration, neither of which are a viable option.

Cases 1b and 2a are less clear.

I think I'll fire off an e-mail to the tournament organizer asking about the weigh-in situation so I can eliminate that variable.

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh

Yeah, but in two weeks?

Besides, without the bodyfat its hard to absorb red wine/burbon...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 3:35pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's probably too late now, but Ross Enamait's Magic 50 and Sequential Fatigue Challenge are your friends.

Admittedly, they make for very unpleasant friends who make you want to lie in a corner and die, but the effects are worth it.

Good luck. Don't forget the videos!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 1:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just registered in senior novice at -100kg. The math on cutting came down to case 1b:
    -I can weigh in the day before but I don't think I can take the day off of work
    -My skinfolds are getting thinner but the numbers on the scale have stabilized

In terms of throwing, I think Coach Josh is right about the foot sweeps... I'll have to work on hitting those in randori, because there isn't much coming of my other attempts.

If I can't get some throws working reliably, you guys are probably going to see a lot of footage of me with an overhand grip and a dumb look on my face, and not much else.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 1/14/2009 1:22am at .

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 2:42am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Yeah, but in two weeks?...

Doesn't sound like that much over two weeks, especially for a heavy weight.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 2:45am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get yourself out of the self-defeatist mindset.

This is important.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 9:04am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra
    Get yourself out of the self-defeatist mindset.

This is important.
    QFT

Get out there, get your grip and attack.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast