Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 6:41pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First judo tourney in 2 years, mid march

On the 15th of March I'm going to the Sussex senior open. This will be my first ever senior comp, and it will also be the first comp I've ever had more than 3 weeks notice on. Let it be known that I will probably be a speedbump for a better player, as I am unathletic and haven't been training properly for quite some time. However, I am going to try and make the best of it.

I am currently attending 1 hour judo on tuesday nights and 2 hours jujutsu on thursday nights. Because I have a competition, I am also planning to start doing 1.5 hours on mondays and saturdays. My training outside of class consists of a circuit of 10 press ups, 10 crunches, 10 squats and 10 burpees repeated 6 times.

I have some questions:

1) My diet is awful. I just finished working out then wolfed down a McDonalds. I have coeliacs disease, so at college I cannot eat sandwiches or pasta, so I end up either getting chips from up town, biscuits from up town or chocolate and fizzy drinks from the vending machine. I'm a poster boy for a Jamie Oliver series on the diets of children and young people, even though I'm thin, come the afternoon I lack any ability to concentrate and hit a deep sugar slump which lasts untill about 8pm.

Now, I figure I can start cooking things like brown rice and pasta the night before and make sauces for them, which I do for dinner, and then save some for lunch the next day to stop me totally going sugar mad during the day; and if I don't have time for that I can get some processed sushi from Tesco. I can make sure I'm getting a decent diet. What I want to know is, what foods should I definately be avoiding? What don't I want to be stuffing into my face on the basis that it will kill my cardio and energy levels?

2) I know virtually nothing about working out or physiology. It has been mentioned over and over by everyone and their mothers that cardio is the most important thing to train for when competing. Is the circuit I described any good for cardio? What should I be adding to it? What else should I be doing to help my cardio levels?

3) The throws I'm planning to work on are harai goshi, tai otoshi, o uchi gari and o soto gari. Videos/instructionals on these throws, set ups for them, ways to set up quick subs from them etc would be appreciated.

4) In newaza at training I tend to act like a BJJ player. Well, a one month bjj whitebelt to be more honest, but a BJJ player nontheless with lots of guard pulling, silly attempts to do the last cool move I saw on submissions 101, trying to get backmount etc. Asides from turnovers and keeping pins locked down tightly, what should I be working on asides from those?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently had my first judo tournament EVAR, and the thread about it has good advice (although my questions were slightly different). Aside from that:

1) Nutritionally, the first step to improving your energy levels is to eat less food at a time, and do so more often. For example, instead of eating three big meals four hours apart, split each of them in half and eat six small meals two hours apart. Try that for a few days and see if it makes a difference in your energy levels. (I don't know much about celiac, so I can't make specific food suggestions, but replacing fast carbohydrates with slow ones should probably be your next step)

2) Cardio-wise, extra randori is great, particularly against people who force you to work hard. If you hate yourself and like to suffer, the Tabata protocol has a lot to offer you.

3) When it comes to o soto gari, don't do this:
    YouTube - 2009 Sask Open Judo Tournament - Third Match

Best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the over-reaching kazushiless osotogari. The true hallmark of a crappler.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 9:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Not my proudest moment. I'm still waiting for clearance to resume training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Likewise, I hope to have my first Judo competition in March.

From my 3 weeks of Judo experience, and 1.5 years of BJJ, i can say this: PINS.

Today, Simon Sensei was looking at me confused like, as i gave up a really tight side control to move for a sub.

Also, this advice is parroted, but O Uchi Gari is great for setting up a bunch of things, especially tai otoshi. (that comes from Mark Tripp/2759374059734095 others)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A) Avoid fried food like the bubonic plague.

B) Work on attacking the turtle. Crack that mofo until the cows come home. Does your division allow armlocks? If not, work on turnovers, triangles, gi chokes from front, back and side, and the RNC. If so, work all of those plus armlocks.

C) Take up sprinting or running stairs or some other form of sprint-like cardio. You'll hate it until the third minute of your first match, at which point you'll be so happy that you did your lung's homework.

D) Like Russ said, eat lots of small meals. Act like you just entered a torrid love affair with protein, fruit smoothies, and vegetables.

E) Don't look at instructionals. Learn the techniques your judo coach tells you to, and drill them like it's prom night and wee Susie is giving you the come-hither.
    Last edited by 1point2; 1/28/2009 11:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 5:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Simply put, do not attempt osoto gari on anyone taller than you and heavier than you, ko soto or tani otoshi are both going to be better throws in that situation. It's not even just kuzushi, it's the fact that if someone is taller and heavier than you then you will have to reach for the osoto (Taller) and they can see it coming and lean into it and crucially they can put they're head over your shoulder and look at the floor behind you, this = win for them.

There's a huge range of exceptions to this but I think that unless you have quite a bit if experience and skill with osoto then there are better throws* to look for.

* Which is to say throws which are more likely to score ipppon, more likely for there to be an oppening for and less likely to be countered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 6:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist

1) My diet is awful. I just finished working out then wolfed down a McDonalds. I have coeliacs disease, so at college I cannot eat sandwiches or pasta, so I end up either getting chips from up town, biscuits from up town or chocolate and fizzy drinks from the vending machine. I'm a poster boy for a Jamie Oliver series on the diets of children and young people, even though I'm thin, come the afternoon I lack any ability to concentrate and hit a deep sugar slump which lasts untill about 8pm.

Now, I figure I can start cooking things like brown rice and pasta the night before and make sauces for them, which I do for dinner, and then save some for lunch the next day to stop me totally going sugar mad during the day; and if I don't have time for that I can get some processed sushi from Tesco. I can make sure I'm getting a decent diet. What I want to know is, what foods should I definately be avoiding? What don't I want to be stuffing into my face on the basis that it will kill my cardio and energy levels?
    Booze.

2) I know virtually nothing about working out or physiology. It has been mentioned over and over by everyone and their mothers that cardio is the most important thing to train for when competing. Is the circuit I described any good for cardio? What should I be adding to it? What else should I be doing to help my cardio levels?
    It's personal opinion but for me interval training on a rower is about the closest thing to Judo tournamnet matches, warm up then row as hard as you can for 20-30 seconds, row slower for 30-40 seconds then explode again, this destroys me utterly, works my grip and shoulder some and just generally feels closest to what I experience in matches.

3) The throws I'm planning to work on are harai goshi, tai otoshi, o uchi gari and o soto gari. Videos/instructionals on these throws, set ups for them, ways to set up quick subs from them etc would be appreciated.
    All those throws are good and pretty but harai goshi and tai otoshi at the level you sound like your at are somewhat redundant, I would pick one of the two (personally it would be harai) and look for it, tai otshi is a great throw but the only real difference in the et up for it and harai is that it needs uke's feet to be a bit closer together whereas with harai you can get away with if their feet are closer together or wide apart.

If you know it already then harai goshi into osoto gari is a wonderful renraku(sp?)-waza, don't know if your sensei or coach will have taught it to you though but it's the one obvious combo in the tchniques you've listed.

Also, counter attacks! You should almost certainly add kosoto gari to that list because you can throw it against almost any attack as a counter. Counters are important because each time your opponent atacks you and you fail to retaliate you run the risk of getting penalised for passivity.

4) In newaza at training I tend to act like a BJJ player. Well, a one month bjj whitebelt to be more honest, but a BJJ player nontheless with lots of guard pulling, silly attempts to do the last cool move I saw on submissions 101, trying to get backmount etc. Asides from turnovers and keeping pins locked down tightly, what should I be working on asides from those?
    Throw the guard out of the fucking window, seriously forget the guard exists until you end up underneath someone because you f'd a throw up, the number of times I've seen soemone get thrown then go looking for the guard and having a yuko or koka scored against them it isn't even funny, Judo refs seem blind to it. In addition, the amount of time you get to play guard/work for subs it isn't even funny, forget subs, forget the guard, look for oasekomi and turn overs on the ground end of story.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Be prepared to get smacked in the face really hard when gipfighting, particularly against bigger opponents.

When you get onto the competition mat make sure your going 100% from the get go.

If anyone contradicts anything I've said then listen to them and not me. Oh and enjoy it, whats the point otherwise?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 7:18pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
    Booze.
    DAMNDAMNDAMN

All those throws are good and pretty but harai goshi and tai otoshi at the level you sound like your at are somewhat redundant, I would pick one of the two (personally it would be harai) and look for it, tai otshi is a great throw but the only real difference in the et up for it and harai is that it needs uke's feet to be a bit closer together whereas with harai you can get away with if their feet are closer together or wide apart.
    Hmm, I think I'd have to pick harai goshi, since my taiotoshi has gone to **** lately.

If you know it already then harai goshi into osoto gari is a wonderful renraku(sp?)-waza, don't know if your sensei or coach will have taught it to you though but it's the one obvious combo in the tchniques you've listed.
    Yeah, I've been taught that combo. Methinks I will try and work on it a little.

Also, counter attacks! You should almost certainly add kosoto gari to that list because you can throw it against almost any attack as a counter. Counters are important because each time your opponent atacks you and you fail to retaliate you run the risk of getting penalised for passivity.
    I have always been hideous at foot sweeps, but I've had limited success with kosoto gari in the past. Again, should probably start to develop that.

Throw the guard out of the fucking window, seriously forget the guard exists until you end up underneath someone because you f'd a throw up, the number of times I've seen soemone get thrown then go looking for the guard and having a yuko or koka scored against them it isn't even funny, Judo refs seem blind to it. In addition, the amount of time you get to play guard/work for subs it isn't even funny, forget subs, forget the guard, look for oasekomi and turn overs on the ground end of story.
    Ugh, I know. Closest thing to a comp I've been in was an in house club tourney last year. Got out of a pin, tried to get guard to work from there, bam, stood up.

Be prepared to get smacked in the face really hard when gipfighting, particularly against bigger opponents.
    Been there before, am not fussed about that.

When you get onto the competition mat make sure your going 100% from the get go.
    Yeah, hopefully I should have the cardio to pull that off by mid march.

If anyone contradicts anything I've said then listen to them and not me. Oh and enjoy it, whats the point otherwise?
    Will do.

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 1:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always been hideous at foot sweeps, but I've had limited success with kosoto gari in the past. Again, should probably start to develop that.
    I have had a lot of sucess recently with hitting Ura Nage as a counter to any throw where the Tori turns his back. The big, formal looking kind is awkward, but you can try working something like this...

YouTube - Nomura (JPN) - Gussenberg (GER), ura-nage
    Last edited by Freman; 1/30/2009 1:35am at .