Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:51pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every post by Happeh. Without a doubt, the dumbest mother fucker I've ever had the displeasure of commenting to.
    Last edited by Demon Eyes; 12/30/2008 5:53pm at .

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Eyes
    Every post by Happeh. Without a doubt, the dumbest mother fucker I've ever had the displeasure of commenting to.
    I actually, truly believe he is an Andy Kaufman-level troll, and his work is nothing but pure genius.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:09am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An old one I have mentioned on these forums before: spin kick clockwise only. If you kick clockwise you pull ko/chi from your opponent, if you kick counterclockwise your ki/chi is lost to your opponent.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:16am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus
    I actually, truly believe he is an Andy Kaufman-level troll, and his work is nothing but pure genius.
    If he is indeed an Andy Kaufman-level troll, then he puts way too much effort in a hobby that nobody give two shits about. He's went so far as to open a website for his lunacy.
    http://www.happehtheory.com/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321
    An old one I have mentioned on these forums before: spin kick clockwise only. If you kick clockwise you pull ko/chi from your opponent, if you kick counterclockwise your ki/chi is lost to your opponent.
    I calll BS!

This is all dependent upon the respective figher's stances.

If they have mutual (same) stance (right hand fighers for instance) then this analogy holds true.

If they are opposed (opposite stance) then the spin direction dictated for pulling chi is opposite of the chun master throwing chi balls from his arse.

Of course, this is all dependent upon the before agreed upon choriographry and the location relative to the earth's axis.

Your results may vary.

Joe

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:33am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I did a spin kick clockwise and broke a board and got a green belt! It must be true!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Yoshukai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321
    Wow, that's pretty retarded. Sounds like a half-assed rationalization for not wanting to train kicks on one's weaker leg.

Quote Originally Posted by rordogs
    kata represent a real fighting situation
    learning kata is correlated to learning how to fight
    Actually, in my opinion, both of these are true, in a sense at least.

Does kata accurately model a real fighting situation? No, of course not. Does proficiency in kata by itself directly translate into real fighting skill? Not at all.

But kata most certainly does REPRESENT (albeit in a formalized and somewhat abstract manner) a real fighting situation. That's a simple fact, following from the definition of kata. And while of not much value for fighting by itself, when trained in conjunction with actual contact sparring and padwork kata can be quite valuable in contributing to fighting skill by teaching fundamentals of balance, movement, timing, and smooth transitions between various techniques and combinations.

That said, there's obviously a whole lot about real fighting that kata can never teach you. (And kata can be an end in itself, independently of it's value for fghting.) But to write off kata as completely worthless with respect to actual fighting just because there's no live resisting opponent and the techniques are formalized is itself one of the worst arguments I've come across.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=TetsujinThat said, there's obviously a whole lot about real fighting that kata can never teach you. (And kata can be an end in itself, independently of it's value for fghting.) But to write off kata as completely worthless with respect to actual fighting just because there's no live resisting opponent and the techniques are formalized is itself one of the worst arguments I've come across.[/quote]

Kata is good exercise. Nothing more, nothing less.

Randori? Please comment.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin

But kata most certainly does REPRESENT (albeit in a formalized and somewhat abstract manner) a real fighting situation. That's a simple fact,
    No not a fact.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Yoshukai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    Kata is good exercise. Nothing more, nothing less.

Randori? Please comment.
    If you mean that kata can only contribute to physical fitness, like pushups or other exercises, then I disagree. But I would agree that kata is a good exercise in that it helps develop the fundamentals of balance, movement, timing, and smooth transitions between various techniques and combination, as I said above, and all of these can contribute to developing actual fighting skill.

Take two hypothetical new MA students. One who trains free contact sparring, padwork, drills, and basic physical fitness. And another who does all of the above, with the addition of kata. Do you really think that the second student will have no advantage when it comes to fighting?

I'm not saying that kata is a necessary training method. Nor am I saying that it's a sufficient one. I'm saying that it is a valuable complementary training method that is too often rejected by those who haven't used it or who don't understand it's purpose.
    Last edited by Tetsujin; 12/31/2008 1:11am at .
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast