Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 2:25pm

Style: Contemporary Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Most retarded arguments you've ever seen/heard?

Used the search, didn't find anything.

Recently been talking to a guy on the Chinese internets who seemed to think that this half-assed sprawl 我VS陈道勇 - 视频 - 在线观看 - 土豆网 is an example of why ground game fails to TCMA's stances.

The same guy also believes that the old masters of today have all been pressure tested already by the standards of their era and therefore have no obligation to back up any claims they make.

So, what stupid arguments have you heard?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this thread first. It will probably cover everything you want

Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts - No BS Martial Arts

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamn, I'm married. We'll run out of internet if I try to post every stupid argument I've heard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 4:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard a new twist on the deadly glass ridden ground argument

Asphalt, rocks, bottles, etc. - Many "going to the ground" techniques are designed to work on pads, mats and smooth floors. Seldom do these conditions exist outside the dojo. A slap fall on asphalt will not only tear up your hand, but it can result in a shattered bones. Hitting concrete with another person landing on top of you is a painful -- often fight stopping -- experience. Now you may think "that is the idea," but that is assuming that you are controlling the fall. A cagey fighter might not let you land on top of him, and that makes it as much your problem as his. Then there is the issue of bottles and glasses that you might land on. While you might at first think, "there aren't glasses/bottles/etc laying on the floor of the bar," that's under normal conditions, but if someone tackles you and you run into another person or tip over a table, those items can and will be knocked to the ground at the same speed as you.
    http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/grappling.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Wing-Chun guy once told me that you can block a baseball bat with your arm because the surface of your arm and the bat are round. Ghetto physics FTW!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:27pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to occasionally train with this guy when I was in college who agrued that point sparring was more realistic than continuous sparring because in a real fight, if you get hit once you go down and it's all over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Excalibur's link, this one really takes the cake;

Even if it is a one-on-one situation, a basic problem arises if you are attempting to subdue someone in a self-defense situation: After you have him in a nice submission hold, how are you going to get to the phone to call the police? This is just one of the problems that arises out of not knowing the difference between self-defense and fighting, much less the difference between martial arts and fighting..
    There's even a section in the article that's is based on the presumption that fighters are figuring out to counteract grappling so it's fading away now that the shock value has played out. There's even an implication that grappling is fading out of the UFC. In short, Excalibur has won the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:35pm

Style: Bar Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That krotty beats knife-wielding redneck. My dad proved that one wrong once.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:35pm

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kata represent a real fighting situation
    learning kata is correlated to learning how to fight

/thread

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:37pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy Movement
    A Wing-Chun guy once told me that you can block a baseball bat with your arm because the surface of your arm and the bat are round. Ghetto physics FTW!
    I've heard that one, too. My old WC instructor told me that the bone you use to block with in a bong sau was the strongest bone in your body. I guess he doesn't know what a femur is? Whatever. He also told me that he's had students break baseball bats on their arms in fights before, and that one even brought a bent metal bat to class after being attacked on the street with it. He was a bit of a compulsive made-up story teller.....

Either that, or WC is the most d34dly martial art in the world...
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast