Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 6:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gungfu, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I signed a contract..

To enlist into the USMC, and could somebody (preferably a Marine) tell me what kind of USMCMA training I will be getting and the quality of aformentioning training, and if there is any kind of MMA competitions held within the armed forces I could be trained for and join?

Basically I'm looking to start my career as a MMA fighter in the Corps, somebody even tell me if this is a good idea?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 6:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muai thai/ mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well as far as the britsh marines and the biritish army go thy do every sport there is, and i have done alot or reserch on the usmc for their martial art McMap ( exelent martial art i would recommed it to anyone) the traing thay do on mcmap (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) is very intensive and you will lern exelent moves to destroy your oponant how ever there is a minimum rank systemon going up in McMap

The program uses an advancement system of colored belts similar to that of most martial arts. The different levels of belts are:

Tan belt, the lowest color belt and conducted during entry level training, signifies the basic understanding of the mental, physical, and character disciplines. It is the minimum requirement of all Marines with a training time of 27.5 hours and has no prerequisites. Recruits receive these belts after completion of a practical application test on all of the basic techniques of the Tan Belt.

Gray belt is the second belt attained after 39 hours of training. It signifies an intermediate understanding of the basic disciplines. The prerequisites for this belt are as follows: The Marine must complete Fundamentals of Marine Corps Leadership MCI, and most instructors will require a report be completed on The Marine Raiders.

Green belt is the third belt, requiring 44 hours of training. This belt signifies understanding of the intermediate fundamentals of the different disciplines. This is the first belt level in which one can be a MAI (Martial Arts Instructor) and can teach tan through green techniques with the power to award the appropriate belt. The prerequisites for this belt include a recommendation from reporting senior, and to be an instructor requires the Marine to be a Lance Corporal or higher.

Brown Belt is the fourth belt level requiring 56.5 hours of training. It introduces Marines to the advanced fundamentals of each discipline. In addition, as with green belts, they may be certified as MAIs and teach tan through green techniques. Prerequisites for this belt include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Corporal or higher (able to waiver to LCpl), and appropriate PMEs completed for rank (Such as Corporal's Course).

Black belt 1st degree is the highest belt color and requires 62.5 hours of supervised training. It signifies knowledge of the advanced fundamentals of the different disciplines. A 1st degree black belt may teach fundamentals from tan to brown belt, and a MAI may award the appropriate belt. In addition, they can also be a MAIT (Martial arts Instructor Trainer) which authorizes them to teach tan through black belt 1st degree and award the appropriate belt. Prerequisites include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Sergeant or above, and appropriate level of PME completed (Such as Sergeant's Course.)

An instructor-trainer displays his beltThere are an additional 5 degrees of black belt, with several of the same common prerequisites, including recommendation of reporting senior, appropriate level of PME completed, must be a current MAIT. Black belt 2nd degree to 6th degree signify that the holder is an authority in the Marine Corps Martial arts Program. In addition to the above prerequisite, each belt also has its own rank requirements.

Black belt 2nd degree requires the rank of Sgt or above.

Black belt 3rd degree requires the rank of SSgt or above.

Black belt 4th degree requires the rank of GySgt for enlisted and Major or higher for officers.

Black belt 5th degree requires the rank of MSgt/1stSgt for enlisted and Major or higher for officers.

Black belt 6th degree requires the rank of MGySgt/SgtMaj for enlisted and LtCol or higher for officers.

hope ive helped ( sorry i dont know about what sports thay do), this will be a massivepart of training

p.s
    the leadership room (the pain room) looks fun ;)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your training depends on your MOS. Didn't they tell you that? What's your MOS?

The Marine Corps is a shitty place to start a career as an MMA fighter. Depending on your MOS and duty station, deployments, etc - there's a very good chance you won't be able to train regularly and get quality instruction.

The Marine Corps doesn't give a **** what you want. Get used to that.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore everything Nicholson95 said. Not that the facts are necessarily wrong. But the idea that the MCMAP will get you anywhere close to even amateur level MMA skill is laughable.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gungfu, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Your training depends on your MOS. Didn't they tell you that? What's your MOS?

The Marine Corps is a shitty place to start a career as an MMA fighter. Depending on your MOS and duty station, deployments, etc - there's a very good chance you won't be able to train regularly and get quality instruction.

The Marine Corps doesn't give a **** what you want. Get used to that.
    I'm Infantry, and my recruiter said that and Recon are the best places to get any, if at all quality instruction.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McMap is an excllent martial art it will give him the disipline in training and some good techniques, McMap took all the best moves form all diffrent martial arts so its kinda mma in its own little way, and alot of the moves i saw the marines practising i have seen done in the cage

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cephoozee
    I'm Infantry, and my recruiter said that and Recon are the best places to get any, if at all quality instruction.

Yeah, here's the thing. Your recruiter is full of ****.

I was in the Infantry as well. You're going to be deployed ALL the fucking time. Iraq, Afghanistan, the Mediterranean. You'll be doing mountain training, desert training, blah, blah, blah.

You won't be able to commit to training at any off-base MMA school because you'll be in the field 3-4 days a week when you're not deployed. On the weekends when you're off, you'll want to get as far away from base as possible and hopefully score some ass.

Yeah, you'll get some basic hand to hand training. But it just is not going to prepare you for MMA, period. First of all, they don't train with MMA in mind. Secondly, the best instructors are not military instructors. The best instructors are civilians, because they can focus more of their time on training and teaching.

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholson95
    McMap is an excllent martial art it will give him the disipline in training and some good techniques, McMap took all the best moves form all diffrent martial arts so its kinda mma in its own little way, and alot of the moves i saw the marines practising i have seen done in the cage

Stop saying words.

Moves don't make a martial art or a martial artist. It's not "kinda MMA". MMA skill comes from hours and hours and hours of MMA-specific training under qualified MMA coaches.

MCMAP is not going to provide that. You don't know what you're talking about.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes i know thay dont train with mma in mind, however thay did tae techniques form all diffrent martial arts just like mma, and you proll will not be able to train mma while you are there but it will give you disipline and a lot of good techniques taht you could potentaily use in the cage ( some might need tonning down hahahaha) and are you like here to argue with everything everyone says ?

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholson95
    yes i know thay dont train with mma in mind, however thay did tae techniques form all diffrent martial arts just like mma, and you proll will not be able to train mma while you are there but it will give you disipline and a lot of good techniques taht you could potentaily use in the cage ( some might need tonning down hahahaha) and are you like here to argue with everything everyone says ?

Again, the techniques are not the problem. The problem is that you can't become a skilled martial artist using the Marine Corps' training system. That's not how martial artists are made. And you damn sure can't become an MMA fighter doing it.

The MCMAP will teach you some basics. That's it. As an Infantry Marine, the OP will receive very little martial arts training. And that's the way it should be, because he'll have guns.

I don't argue with everybody. Just fucking morons who talk out of their ass about **** they don't know anything about.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast