Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Weak

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 2:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pandinha - thank you. I'm all about the form and will look into the Arnold press as well.

JC - Huh? I mean 14 inches from the edge of my right shoulder all across to the end of my other shoulder.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 4:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    I mean 14 inches from the edge of my right shoulder all across to the end of my other shoulder.
    I think you just blew your "i'm a fat chick LOL" misdirection... you're still the skinniest guy I know, though ;-)

OT: Swimming. Every serious swimmer I ever knew had an unbelievable shoulder width.

The guys here are so, so right though: forget size, go for building up functional strength.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 5:30am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's your posture Lily? Also, how tall are you, and how much do you weigh? (Since you've told us your shoulder diameter, everything else is now fair game.)

The reason I ask is because if you have a protracted shoulder girdle it will diminsh the breadth of your shoulders.

I'm 5'8", 200 lbs, and about three feet across. If I knew why I was so broad, I'd tell you. ****, I'd mail you a few inches of shoulder if I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    How's your posture Lily?
    Asked and answered...

H to the Izzo - I have excellent posture
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    I'm 5'8", 200 lbs, and about three feet across. If I knew why I was so broad, I'd tell you. ****, I'd mail you a few inches of shoulder if I could.
    In response to this thread, I measured my shoulder breadth, and it comes in at around 21 inches. Do I need to re-evaluate my understanding of what constitutes normal shoulder width?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    Seems like an odd way of designing a program to me.

Edit: More specifically (and hopefully less vague), chest/back/shoulders would exclude arms, core, and legs. Have you identified an imbalance that you're hoping to address?

Edit #2:

This is a reasonable concern, particularly with a history of shoulder problems.
    Risk mitigations:
    -not "locking out" at the top (so you can lower the weight if you start to lose control)
    -keeping the weight slightly further forward than center
    -I haven't tried it myself, but if you press with one arm (and only hold one dumbbell) at a time, you'd have the other hand free to help out in an emergency
    The alternative, as mentioned by Emevas, is using a barbell with safety bars.
    Dude, I never said I wasn't working on abs and arms etc. just that my FOCUS was on chest back and shoulders. Ie. if I am running short on time these areas will get attention before the others will. I have really neglected my back over the years, actually, and I want to change that. My arms are good and strong , triceps get the focus there because my biceps are strong.
    I am not interested in bulking up or gaining any weight, only in strengthening and toning . I weigh about 215 on a bad day, but my weight seems to fluctuate between 207-215 almost weekly depending on what I am eating and how much I am indulging my other vices.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 2:36pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first read that lily's shoulders were 14 inches across I was like totally shocked at how small she must be.

Then I broke out the measuring tape and I'm only 16.

I wanna see a picture of Sfgoon, 3 feet across just sounds like Superman cartoon caricature width.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 4:20pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pandinha - thank you. I'm all about the form and will look into the Arnold press as well.

JC - Huh? I mean 14 inches from the edge of my right shoulder all across to the end of my other shoulder.
    I was hoping you were measuring from the spine

then you'd only have to get 6 inches bigger before we could set you up with ElMacho

I measured mine: right in the deltoid/tricep dip it's 29 and 31 on top of the delts
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 12/31/2008 4:24pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Weak

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 4:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Kat, I figured it wasn't so bad and all I want is an inch more on either side! Do you ever get body dysmorphia from training with a majority of men? I think I have a pretty weird idea of what is 'normal' in terms of size, strength, muscle. On the opposite side I actually feel like a 'big person' when I hang out with my female friends (who don't train).

SFGoon - I have excellent posture , height around 5'6". I don't see what weight has to do with shoulder width. Also, pics of your 3ft back!

Hoggie - I think you and I know that a person having a small frame doesn't mean they're automatically skinny :P
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I wanna see a picture of Sfgoon, 3 feet across just sounds like Superman cartoon caricature width.
    (He's 5'8) think more (comic version) Wolverine!
    Broad, hairy, barrel chested, and you can use him
    as an elbow rest!

I think I have a pretty weird idea of what is 'normal' in terms of size, strength, muscle.
    "Normal" should equal "proportional"
    If you look balanced in the mirror, that's your normal.
    Normal/ideal in regards to muscle proportion actually
    looks horribly abnormal.

Take legs. Strength-wise, you're supposed to be 2:1,
    front to back. Meaning leg-extensions to leg curls.

Getting my leg curls to be 2:1 to my extensions made
    my thighs 33" with a 33" waist - that looked entirely
    freaky! Same with other parts of your body.

Look at what you need in broader terms. As has been
    said here, your back need some attention (prolly a lot)
    but, don't ignore somke other part of your body.

Unless you want to be acomnpetitive bodybuilder,
    don't worry about shaping/detail-specific isolation
    exercises. Work out with "general" whole body
    exercises. . .bench, bent rows, squats.

Then, take all that maturing muscle, and train the
    heck out of the jj, and mold that muscle into your
    strong point, stronger, faster, and injury resistant!

On the opposite side I actually feel like a 'big person' when I hang out with my female friends (who don't train).
    Fit muscle on a woman is really nice when it's not bulky!

X - no pics (Sorry, couldn't find Gladys Portugese)

`~/
    Last edited by Meex; 12/31/2008 6:04pm at .

Weak

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 6:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Meex, I've got what I need from this thread. I'm still new to weightlifting (not even 2 years) and now realise the full extent of me dropping exercises from programs written up for me by a PT because I felt they weren't all that important. How stupid of me.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast