• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:31pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    If there is a generally-accepted protocol for administering therapeutic/pharmacological doses of Vitamin C post-operation, I am unaware of it.
    Hmmm. I read a bit on the subject before we agreed to the treatment and it seemed to be fairly well regarded, but I admit to not researching in depth. You seem to know much more about this stuff than I do! Regardless, as I said, it didn't work and we won't be doing it again.

Naturopathic Doctors, despite the name and professional designation (I've got one too), are not medical doctors.
    Of course. He never claimed to be an MD, nor do I believe naturopathy replaces medical treatment. We see a regular MD every year for full physicals with bloodwork. I also see the ND to try to address things that the MD doesn't cover. I've learned that what an MD considers "within the range of normal" does not mean optimal health.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 2:17pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    vitamin D ... overdosing on retinol, but it's hard when preformed retinol is added to milk and present in multivitamins. I don't see why they don't just stick with beta carotene in the multis - all the benefits without the risks.
    I assume there's a financial explanation, although I'm not personally acquainted with the industrial processes involved.

On a side note: my dairy consumption is epic, but none of it is fortified (my milk, cream, butter, kefir, yogurt, &c, is raw unpasteurized stuff sourced from regional Amish and Mennonite farmers). This may be one of the reasons cholecalciferol supplementation helps my energy levels during harsh NYC winters.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington
    I assume there's a financial explanation, although I'm not personally acquainted with the industrial processes involved.
    Well, for milk products, it might be a taste thing. With my Costco multis, though, they've got a bunch of beta carotene in 'em already. Actually, come to think of it, it's probably a marketing thing - after all, there are still people out there who are convinced that Vitamin A supplementation will improve their vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2009 10:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time for an update! Things are going surprisingly well so far. I recharged a lot over the Christmas holidays - lots of sleeping in and watching movies with the family, so I think I caught up on some much needed rest. I've also had sucess with a few of your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher
    There's a growing body of evidence that the U.S. RDA (400 IU/day, just enough to prevent rickets) is an order of magnitude too low for winter. I started taking 3,000IU of Vitamin D this winter; it's treating me very, very well so far.
    Thanks for this. I always felt better taking the 2000IU per day over the 1000IU my MD recommended, but I didn't want to OD. Since it appears safe to take the higher dose, I've stayed on it, and I have not had a major energy drop so far this winter. I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    Don't forget to get some quality outdoors time in, even if you can only do it on the weekend. My wife was suffering the effects of SAD and the most effective thing for her was outdoor physical activity during the day. She's fine all winter as long as she takes her multi and I drag her out of the house once a week to go snowshoeing or cross country skiing.
    I initially thought that getting outside once a week for a little exercise wouldn't be enough to actually do anything, but boy, was I wrong. On the weeks that I've made a point of getting outside and doing something even slightly active (like making a snowman with the kids or walking the dog around the leash-free) I have noticed a significant improvement in my mood. I don't know if it's actually the sun exposure that does it, or the fact that I've managed to find some time to do something fun and recreational in my otherwise hectic life, but it certainly works to improve my outlook. Thanks for the suggestion!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123