Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got a lot of potential. You have what most people lack: heart and dedication. You have shown(IMO) that your willing to do what is necessary to get the job done. I'm just wondering a few things.

Why are you going about this all by your self? Is there a lack of schools in your area? Where did you get that crazy ass bag that you are hitting on? I've never seen one like that. Have you been practicing any other kicks? Like the tepe? What weight class are you in? What is your training schedule? What MMA event are you training for?

And where are you located at. I am honestly interested. You don't have to say where you are but I am in Pensacola, FL and if you are anywhere near me, I will gladly train with you. That's an open invitation.

Happy training, and good luck!

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell is Muay Thai in your style field?

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestlin mt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    You've got a lot of potential. You have what most people lack: heart and dedication. You have shown(IMO) that your willing to do what is necessary to get the job done. I'm just wondering a few things.

Why are you going about this all by your self? Is there a lack of schools in your area? Where did you get that crazy ass bag that you are hitting on? I've never seen one like that. Have you been practicing any other kicks? Like the tepe? What weight class are you in? What is your training schedule? What MMA event are you training for?

And where are you located at. I am honestly interested. You don't have to say where you are but I am in Pensacola, FL and if you are anywhere near me, I will gladly train with you. That's an open invitation.

Happy training, and good luck!
    thank you my friend for the invitation. it would also be cool to train with you one day....i go to the states once a year ..but always to texas...:)

well i live in switzerland i train wrestling in my city on tue and fri ....and bjj on thu and sat...in a city thats about 20 miles away .....on the other days im in a friends training room lifting and hitting the bag.

as for the bag it has been torn a couple of times ...so we taped it with miles and miles of yellos tape. now im about 68 kilos and ....but in summer and fall i fight 66 kilos..my lightest was summer of 2007 64.5 kilos.

i will fight in the summer in a local event ...

yeah i do practice kicks (will kick on my next clip...not only for power:)

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 12:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestlin mt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus
    Why the hell is Muay Thai in your style field?
    buahahahhahbaa ...because when i signed up in 2006 i thought you post whats your favorite style....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 10:23pm

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great speed with those punches dude and very good power but your only punching with your arms if you relax and step into those punches you will have even more power but all things considered I am impressed but what do I know im just a noob

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard
    buahahahhahbaa ...because when i signed up in 2006 i thought you post whats your favorite style....
    Ah, gotcha.

And seriously, do yourself a favor and don't assume you know anything about striking when you start training. Listen to what your couch has to say.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 4:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus
    Listen to what your couch has to say.
    Yes, listen to your couch. Never answer back though, people just wouldn't understand!

Alternatively, listen to your coach and ignore your couch.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 4:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *facepalm*

Damn it, haha.

Sixty push-ups it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 2:43am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same criticisms that everyone else has but I would also like to perhaps give you an alternative plan of action.

If you're dead set on competing in MMA this summer, that gives you about six months to get you striking up to snuff. Normally that might be enough if you have the fundamentals down (which you don't) or if you could devote multiple days during the week to just striking (which according to your post you can't).

The only thing you have going for you right now is aggression (at least in my estimation) and I would suggest, given that you can't or won't commit to more then once a week for striking, that you work very hard on getting your anaerobic/conditioning way up and forget the technical aspect of boxing for now. Instead concentrate mostly on the one thing you have going for you: aggression.

If you were to join a boxing gym right now they would have to break you of the bad habits you have, teach you the new, correct way and then drill it into you so that it becomes second nature. I don't think you have time for that unless you are very gifted or if you can dedicate some serious time to it.

Maybe you can join or find a gym and practice taking people down that are trying to hit you while you avoid getting knocked out. Or learn the most basic possible jab/cross/hook. If you add anything else to it you'll probably be doing yourself a disservice. This is the equivalent of me saying: "hey, I've boxed a few years, why don't I take 4 to 8 hours of BJJ a month for six months and then jump in an MMA fight?"

They would tell me I was a madman for even considering it. But like I said, if you are totally committed to competing this summer (and much respect to you for doing that by the way) I would suggest trying to harness your aggression (through some hard sparring), ignore the technical side of it (for now) and get your conditioning way up.

Just my .02

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 3:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Gracies did it once upon a time, who says you can't?

At least get your striking defense down (hands up, chin down, head moving). If you can find someone knowledgeable, work on using those basic strikes to set up takedowns and getting takedowns while the other guy is striking. This may mean weathering the storm to get into the clinch, shooting under punches to the head (make sure he's in no position to throw a knee to your noggin), or even bumrushing low kicks. See Silva v. Jardine for that last one, and I guaran-fuckin'-tee you won't be fighting anyone that'll be kicking as hard as Jardine. Don't neglect ground and pound either, it is where wrestling and aggression meet. Sounds like you have the BJJ to pass a shitty guard, just use your wrestling to obtain and maintain your dominant positioning and don't get caught with a sub.

Oh, and conditioning. If you do nothing else, condition.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast