Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 10:41pm

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My kicks help anyone

Hello everyone I would like your opinion on my roundhouse kicks I am a san shou practicioner and would like the opinions of my fellow martial artists on my kicks. The free standing bag that I am kicking weighs 250 lbs and I weigh 150 lbs so there is a 100 lb difference just let me know what you think.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbwo-tEYcw

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 12:28am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that the only roundhouse you would like to show. If it is you're not getting enough reach on most of your kick in the style that you're doing it. I would also get off the line when throwing. Seems like decent power though.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to open up your legs and turn the hip over. As is, the force of your kick is stopping at the target. Try bringing your leg up like you're throwing a knee and turning it over into the target, dropping your weight through the bag.

If you freeze frame on contact, your hips should be twisted around as seen here (Yes, I am telling you to stare at Buakaw's ass):

Here his kick hasn't even gotten to the target yet and you can see his hips are already perpendicular to the target:

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 12:58am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    You need to open up your legs and turn the hip over. As is, the force of your kick is stopping at the target. Try bringing your leg up like you're throwing a knee and turning it over into the target, dropping your weight through the bag.

If you freeze frame on contact, your hips should be twisted around as seen here (Yes, I am telling you to stare at Buakaw's ass):

Here his kick hasn't even gotten to the target yet and you can see his hips are already perpendicular to the target:

Was the reason I was asking what kind of roundhouse he's showing us. If it's power you want I would heed this advice.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 1:33am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice thing about kicking WaveMasters and other bags weighted to the floor is that, if the bag rises when kicking it, it is a sign that you are not turning your hips over (as Omega and KidSpatula said above). Turning the hips over directs your power straight into the bag instead of upwards and into it.

When the bag stops rising, it is a sign that your hips are turning and you are getting better extension.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 3:12am

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you are a bit lacksidasical in pulling your leg back which means your kick is more likely to be caught. In the video you are not pivoting to pull your leg back but are relying on the momentum of your leg to return your hips to starting position.
    try pivoting to return to your stance. just be sure not 'return' pivot early, this will result in a weak ass kick.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 3:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    you are a bit lacksidasical in pulling your leg back which means your kick is more likely to be caught. In the video you are not pivoting to pull your leg back but are relying on the momentum of your leg to return your hips to starting position.
    try pivoting to return to your stance. just be sure not 'return' pivot early, this will result in a weak ass kick.
    Dude, what the **** are you babbling about?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like you could use a little more rotation: your supporting foot doesn't pivot more than 45 degrees from the target, which is probably keeping your hips from turning over far/smoothly as they might.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 10:41am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 to what Kid and Omega have said. Rolling your hips over more will not only give you more power, but you'll be far less likely to kick straight up into an elbow. Which hurts.

Check out more Buakaw goodness at about the 1:40 mark of this video (ignore the horrid music), for some perfect technique:

YouTube - Muaythai Fighter's Life

(Also check out how he stays perfectly balanced without throwing his weight forward or over his hips, or jumping around all over the shop).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 11:53am

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help I will post a new vid and I would appreciate your opinions on my new roundhouse kicks
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast