Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 3:34am

Style: pansy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help from the experts

Ok, I may be beating the **** out of a dead horse here, but I want to get into martial arts. I'm 6'1", and 200lbs (athletic) and was wondering what would be a good art to fit my build. I like the idea of the more traditional arts, from what I've seen (to me all of the UFC stuff looks the same) but I want something that actually works. I've been looking into: Hapkido, san soo kung fu, eagle claw kung fu, shito ryu, jeet kun do (I've done my homework and know it's not 'traditional' but I like it), limalama kung fu, and isshyn ryu (sp?). I've just been going from dojo to dojo and watching. They've all been cool except for the schmucks at united studio of self defense who were douche bags and said I had to set up an oppointment and they'd show me a video. I want a well rounded art that will incorporate striking and grappling, not strictly one or the other. As you may be able to tell, I'm more than willing to do my homework, any help from you guys would be great.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 5:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What area do you live in?

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its really hard to say over the internet without actually seeing how the dojos train and what the instructoers where like. From what you've told us stay away from that Universal Studio of self defense crap. They just charge ludicrious amounts of money for those with more cash than they know what to do with.

You've seen whats around..ask the instructors and choose what you like to do. Based on your build something like Hapkido or kickboxing would be good.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your build, in my opinion, really isn't a factor unless you're planning on going into full contact fighting. If you're just looking for a good traditional art, to learn the art and self-defense..build isn't a consideration.

Hapkido -- a Korean art which I'm not really familiar with, but I know it's a heck of a lot better than TKD generally. Much more practical and I've heard good things about it.

san soo kung fu -- I have mixed feeliongs about this art, as there's a school in my area. I understand not ALL san soo schools are this way, but the one here locally preaches NO DEFENSE at all..pure offense..which I think is a bunch of BS. Also, it takes about 4 years to get a black belt from them (fairly normal actually), and then you can literally get another black belt every year after that. The local school here is VERY top heavy with many very high ranking belts. I disagree with this, but I can't say it's really wrong....

eagle claw kung fu -- I have no idea what this is or what it's about. kung fu GENERALLY is softer, more flowing technique than karate is. but not always.

shito ryu -- I've never seen it, but understand it's a good system.

jeet kun do -- from waht I've seen..it's pretty good, if you like the "if it works do it..if not, don't" attitude..certainly not traditional.

limalama kung fu -- I know nothing about this system,

Isshyn ryu -- what little I've seen of it, I like it. It's based a lot off of the system I do (shorinryu) and looks pretty good to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 3:44pm

Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all about the instructor. What area do you live in and what instructors have you been looking at?

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 4:07pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a good traditional art has the following elements:

1) conditioning
    2) drilling, especially with partners
    3) sparring or freestyle practice

as was noted, the instructor is a major factor.

eagle claw is a poison hand and chinna system. Of course it has the fundaments common to most fighting arts, but it specializes in locking and grasping technique.

limalima- i think limalama is Hop Gar,or Tibetan Kung Fu. It is a Crane System, to my knowledge.

I dont do either of these styles, so my info may not be completely accurate.

Isshinryu i do have some experience with. It is an efficient and practical system of martial arts. an interesting point is that Isshinryu uses the vertical fist like Wing Chun.

Peace.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 4:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf is poison hand?
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 5:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of JKD, don't be put off by its lack of traditionalism. Tradition is merely carrying out of outdated motions for the purpose of continuity. The important thing is that you can make what you're learning work, not that it is traditionally-based or not.

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 5:41pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll ask the following question, do you want to spend a lot of time learning forms or not? If the answer is no then Jeet Kune Do is the ticket for you, though be careful and try to find out who your instructor studied with. There are a bunch of people who teach this art who are apparently self taught and that brings up quality control issues.

I can't tell you if Isshun Ryu, or Kung Fu San Soo, or the Hapkido is better, it depends on the instructor but be careful around the Eagle Claw, a lot of Kung Fu schools are affected by the "classical mess" that Bruce Lee complained about. Lots of formality and stylized structure before one gets down to actually learning fighting. Lima Lima is supposed to be a synthesis of polynisian (sp) fighting techinques and its founder is a notorous hard ass, so they might teach something that is quite combat effective.
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you said you were athletic .. what sports are yo involved in?

ever thought about wrestling?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast