Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/27/2008 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class act. No one could ask for anything more than what you did. Great example for the sport!

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    Total class Mikey T! Man, you could clearly see you looking to the ref and asking 'man this guy's done and too stupid to tap'. I think you gave him about 10-15 seconds and he just kept fighting it.

Er wait, just read SuperGuido's, yeah exactly that, er ditto.

Heh, your corner cracked me up.

haha, sorry it took me almost exactly 1 year to reply, but I covered up the blood-thirsty cheers from my corner with music. It was hilarious, but a lot of people found it disturbing

:icon_geek
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my never to be humble opinion....

...the person at fault was the ref.

I have spoken before how these events really need to look to Sambo and Judo to make them safer. I also recall how I was told to my face that "We don't want a ***** sport like Judo." But that is a story for another time.

In both Judo and Sambo the ref has the right TO END THE MATCH when the effect of the technique is apparent. No one in their right mind should have a problem with that match being ended before YOU had to end it.

Every time I have been asked to ref jujitsu/submission events, I call all the ref's together and show them my right arm. I then say "One of these in the room is enough, you WILL stop the match if someone is in danger."

I no longer ref them, because too many people have a problem with that concept.

I am sorry you had to break his arm; but the problem is with the ref, not you.

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 10:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    In my never to be humble opinion....

...the person at fault was the ref.

I have spoken before how these events really need to look to Sambo and Judo to make them safer. I also recall how I was told to my face that "We don't want a ***** sport like Judo." But that is a story for another time.

In both Judo and Sambo the ref has the right TO END THE MATCH when the effect of the technique is apparent. No one in their right mind should have a problem with that match being ended before YOU had to end it.

Every time I have been asked to ref jujitsu/submission events, I call all the ref's together and show them my right arm. I then say "One of these in the room is enough, you WILL stop the match if someone is in danger."

I no longer ref them, because too many people have a problem with that concept.

I am sorry you had to break his arm; but the problem is with the ref, not you.

In all fairness this was not a BJJ event. it was NAGA. NAGA in no way represents BJJ rules at all.

I have to be honest in that I've seen many more arms damaged by armbars in high level judo than in BJJ. In fact all of the most notorious armcrankers in BJJ are former/also high level Judoka. check out Camarillo Bros, Shinya Aoki, Joe Moreira, and many more.

Not trying to start an argument here, just pointing out an observation. I agree the ref had should have stopped it... in fact you can see me talking to her about stopping it before I damage the kids arms, but I think it was more the fault of the kid who refused to tap, and the organization NAGA for telling the refs that adult matches can't be stopped before serious injury, unconsciousness, or a submission.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

facebook.com/ABMMA

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    12/25/2009 6:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    In all fairness this was not a BJJ event. it was NAGA. NAGA in no way represents BJJ rules at all.

I have to be honest in that I've seen many more arms damaged by armbars in high level judo than in BJJ. In fact all of the most notorious armcrankers in BJJ are former/also high level Judoka. check out Camarillo Bros, Shinya Aoki, Joe Moreira, and many more.

Not trying to start an argument here, just pointing out an observation. I agree the ref had should have stopped it... in fact you can see me talking to her about stopping it before I damage the kids arms, but I think it was more the fault of the kid who refused to tap, and the organization NAGA for telling the refs that adult matches can't be stopped before serious injury, unconsciousness, or a submission.
    I do not recall claiming it was a "BJJ" event. So, in all fairness, let me make my own points ok?

Yes, the people you speak of have cranked many arms, however, they cranked them in BJJ not Judo. Because of how the rules in Judo are enforced (Sambo as well) which was the only point I was making.

In point of fact almost ALL submission events, save for Judo and Sambo, suffer from insane rules such as the NAGA one you state, or BJJ (You brought it up) allowing children to arm lock and choke one another.

Adults, in professional MMA events are one thing. Children and Adults looking for sport and fun are quite another, and as such , the rules should be in place to protect them.

For BOTH the breaker and the breakee....

Posted On:
    12/25/2009 9:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I do not recall claiming it was a "BJJ" event. So, in all fairness, let me make my own points ok?

Yes, the people you speak of have cranked many arms, however, they cranked them in BJJ not Judo. Because of how the rules in Judo are enforced (Sambo as well) which was the only point I was making.

In point of fact almost ALL submission events, save for Judo and Sambo, suffer from insane rules such as the NAGA one you state, or BJJ (You brought it up) allowing children to arm lock and choke one another.

Adults, in professional MMA events are one thing. Children and Adults looking for sport and fun are quite another, and as such , the rules should be in place to protect them.

For BOTH the breaker and the breakee....

With children the matches are ended immediately. When you said "jujitsu/submission events" it seemed that you were implying they had the same rules and standards. this is not the case.

I also think Judo's rules make it more likely to get the arm cranked worse. is this not a Judo event:

Dailymotion - Shinya Aoki judo competition - une vidéo Sports et Extrême@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x5soy6@@AMEPARAM@@x5soy6

regardless i agree that rules should protect the competitors, but I disagree that Judo has better rules in set to do so.

facebook.com/ABMMA
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12