Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training away from home (Holiday workout)

Staying at the gf's parent's for three days, and with relatives for two or three more, generally wreaks havoc on my body. I don't care for sweets, but the holidays have lots of eggnog and delicious meats and cheeses and so on, so I tend to get soft. This year I am trying the following, crammed in before a shower and somewhere generally away from inquisitive "in-laws." My workout is generally based on my judo club's warmup, plus extra reps, so ends up being bodyweight.

Pushups - 50
    Crunches - 50
    Situps - 50
    Judo pushups (divebombers?) - 20 or 30
    Bodyweight squats - 20 or more
    Calf raises off the stairs - 50 which was way too many for my wimpy calves.
    Bridges - 20ish
    Kata - one or more, Seisan today.
    Seals - 50
    Bicyclers for 30s - 1min

If I really wanted to keep in shape, I'd pack running shorts and do a half hour, and all this would be gravy. But whatever, it's the holidays and I don't usually run anyway.

Most of this is in the pursuit of getting through the class warmup easily, and keeping some level of preparation for Sturret (judo tourney in mid-Jan).

Post your holiday-not-go-flabby plans here, or make fun of mine. Merry Christmas and shalom and all that!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, just take a week off. Your body could prolly stand to recover anyway.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2008 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Reg Park 5 x 5

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Emevas said, or do burpees in your undies, in your gf's folks' living room, during holiday festivities, with a mouthfull of said meats and cheeses.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/26/2008 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The city gym said they were open on "statutory holidays", which apparently does not include Christmas Day. I'm hoping it does include Boxing Day, in which case I'll probably just keep going with the 3x/week variation of WS4SB. Might try to get a more recent mile time for this thread... maybe not.

Edit: And yeah, there's a late-January tournament in my future too, so I need to stay within spitting distance of 100kg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/26/2008 10:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Dude, just take a week off. Your body could prolly stand to recover anyway.
    I've only been in real shape for a month or two, and I get soft quick, so I'm not taking any chances with time off.

Um...
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    I get soft quick
    What? I should rephrase that. But I won't.

Posted On:
    12/26/2008 10:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS. My calves need stretching and I missed the judo pushups this morning in order to catch a ferry, but otherwise the plan is marching along and I feel great. None of that holiday-eating-hangover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2008 10:08am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing a run of about 30-45 minutes (or something, I never really time it) each day. My route takes me up two flights of steep stairs, and there's a park halfway where I sometimes stop to do push-ups, sit-ups, burpees, dips, etc. I only do about 25 of each, but it's more maintenance so those things don't totally kick my ass when I go back to regular training, and it makes the second half of the run ten times harder.

A few days ago, I did this workout (minus the pull-ups, as I have neither the facilities nor the strength for it, but plus 5 rounds of skipping). It took several days of incredible pain to recover from the squats, bootstrappers and lunges, but I'm ready to do it all again tomorrow. Then I think I'll do it every second day. Not sure if I will also run on those days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 9:29am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    The city gym said they were open on "statutory holidays", which apparently does not include Christmas Day. I'm hoping it does include Boxing Day, in which case I'll probably just keep going with the 3x/week variation of WS4SB. Might try to get a more recent mile time for this thread... maybe not.

Edit: And yeah, there's a late-January tournament in my future too, so I need to stay within spitting distance of 100kg.
    If you class yourself as a "skinny bastard" I'm screwed.

Whats your variation lookin like? You just doing one day a week for downstairs... Does that mean you are only squatting OR deadlifting (ME) once a week?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    If you class yourself as a "skinny bastard" I'm screwed.
    It's all relative. I'm a shadow of my former self.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Whats your variation lookin like? You just doing one day a week for downstairs... Does that mean you are only squatting OR deadlifting (ME) once a week?
    Three days a week (Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday), workout selection and set/rep ranges as prescribed, and I fill in the weights and reps with my best guesses. Leg day (Tuesday) is currently barbell deadlift, dumbbell lunges, good mornings, and wrist roller. It's probably about time to rotate exercises, but I haven't decided what the next round will look like (maybe box squats, walking DB lunges, and stiff-legged/Romanian deads?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.