Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 10:45am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I even bother?

Jan 10 a few of my friends will be competing in the GSKA (Golden State Karate Association) tournement held about 2 hours away and have invited me to go with them. I havent done Karate in almost a year now. My training has all been BJJ, Judo and some boxing and MT classes.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 10:50am

Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a lot of money to enter, I wouldn't.

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I even bother?

Jan 10 a few of my friends will be competing in the GSKA (Golden State Karate Association) tournement held about 2 hours away and have invited me to go with them. There will be a tournement held each month for 10 months with a Grand Champion event held in Nov or Dec for the people that placed they highest over the course of the next 10 months. I havent done Karate in almost a year now. My training has all been BJJ, Judo and some boxing and MT classes.

I thought to myself it may be fun to go do a point sparring tourny again for shits and giggles, especialy since my friends will be seriously competing. Im not half bad at point sparring but never made it a focus. I do enjoy competing.

I was kind of going back and forth when one of my friends mentioned that this year they are going to have a continous sparring event. That got me interested as I would enjoy this much more then point sparring. Problem is I cant find the rules ANYWHERE. Infact, on the flyer they showed weight classes for every event EXCEPT the continuos sparring,wich by the way is fine with me ( I weigh 230 at 6'1 ).

I have done sparring comps before with MT rulesets and done well before in the past. I was thinking of taking my old karate gi out of the closet, ripping the school patches off and just showing up to see if I can still wreck ****, or would this even be worth it? It will cost me 40$ to compete in the continous sparring, 55$ if I do both point and continous. I realy dont want to go if the competition in the continous is weak ( and im pretty sure Ill get my butt kicked in flippy 'tag your it' point sparring), but at the same time it would be fun to compete in the same events as my friends.

What do you guys think?
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mods, some how I double posted this thread. Can you delete the other thread? Not sure how that happened.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes you should bother to see if you still have the skills. Don't want to just rely on your BJJ. Need a well rounded game and this will be a good test.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you shouldn't bother because you have the BJJ and that is all you need. You no need the Karate.

Posting twice will get you contradictory posts
    :qcheerlea

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 2:32pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah- start sparring with those guys, then suddenly start grabbing the legs and arms and
    JudOWNing them.

You know, for shits and giggles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 2:52pm

Style: MT, Sanshou/Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, do it until you go up against a guy you don't think you can beat, then flying triangle them while you scream, "Where's your karate now!?"

If you choose this path, vid pls.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spar with your friends for free, save $$ and 4 hours of drive time.

Posted On:
    12/28/2008 9:46am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enter it of course, as long as the event doesn't involve too much tedious waiting it'll be a good days entertainment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast